The Student Room Group

What kind of grades do Russel group uni’s offer on clearing for undergrad biomed?

Ik A levels aren’t over yet, but I’m stressing out thinking what if I don’t meet my offer. I don’t have an insurance choice. What kind of grades to expect, that is if Russel group uni’s even go to clearing. I’m obvsly going to try my best in the remaining exams, but I need a backup plan just to ease my mind, just in case worst case scenario and everything goes wrong.
(edited 10 months ago)
Russell group is a broad term because that encompases anything from Oxford to Newcastle ur also not including stuff like st andrews and Bath just go look through the course requirements for all of them and some might drop thier grade reqs by 1 or 2
Original post by Minminwun
Ik A levels aren’t over yet, but I’m stressing out thinking what if I don’t meet my offer. I don’t have an insurance choice. What kind of grades to expect, that is of Russel group uni’s even go to clearing. I’m obvsly going to try my best in the remaining exams, but I need a backup plan just ease my mind, incase worst case scenario and everything goes wrong.
Reply 2
As above, don't get hung up on 'Russell Group'. It doesnt actually mean anything - their degrees are not 'better' however you measure that, and it certainly does not guarantee that you will like being at that Uni or enjoy the course anymore than at any other University.

The other important point here is that the sort of Unis you are aiming at - ie. those taht ask for higher grades - are far less likely to need to put courses in Clearing than other Unis. Your choices are therefore going to be limited, especially if you have already missed that grades for presumably another high grade Uni.

Most Unis at this level would much rather accept existing 'near miss' Firm offers holders, than put courses in Clearing as its reputational risk to appear that needy. These sort of Unis therefore do not magically drop their grade requirements at Clearing - they don't need to to fill any remaining spaces with weak applicants and especially for Biomed as that's an obvious last-minute course choice for Medicine applicants with no offer but who will likely have high grades.

Yes, there may be Biomed places in Clearing - but probably not from 'high grade' Unis - and therefore you may need to be far more strategic, and settle for those 'lower' than this. Your other choice of course is to have retake/resit/reapply as your Plan B instead of making compromises over what's available in Clearing.
sheffield were in clearing last year as well as Queen's Belfast and a couple others I think, courses very closely related to biomed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending