The Student Room Group

Entry requirements are A A A but I am predicted A* A B

Am I likely to get accepted with these A-Level predicted grades?

The A* is in English which is the subject I am applying to study in uni

Scroll to see replies

No one can tell if you're likely to get an offer, but for the vast majority of courses in the UK you'd still be considered with predictions one grade below.

And bear in mind that's it's usually recommended to have at last one aspirational choice above your predictions. If you want a chance of an offer, apply.
Reply 2
Original post by sameasiteverwas

i was eligible for a contextual offer so it might be different but i applied for a course with AAA requirements with the same predicted grades and got an offer
Reply 3
"And bear in mind that's it's usually recommended to have at last one aspirational choice above your predictions."

It's recommended not to have more than one or two aspirational choices. Why should anyone apply to a uni just because it's aspirational, if they didn't want to go there?

Depends on the university but when they do they clearly state in the entry requirements. I have seen in on KCL site for some courses.
Reply 5

Check actual offer grades on Uniguide. This will tell you as near as possible whether you are likely to be made an offer.
Reply 6

Hi, I have those predictions as well but for maths, economics and physics and I got an offer at the University of Leeds for AAA so it is very possible that you could get an offer
Reply 7

Contact the university via email or phone and ask if it's worth applying!

I was in the same boat and had been nervous for a while but fortunately they wrote back saying they'll consider it all the same, best of luck 🤞😁!
Original post by Artjen
"And bear in mind that's it's usually recommended to have at last one aspirational choice above your predictions."

It's recommended not to have more than one or two aspirational choices. Why should anyone apply to a uni just because it's aspirational, if they didn't want to go there?

I would never recommend anyone apply anywhere just because it’s aspirational.

But no one needs five offers back.
Reply 9
Original post by Admit-One
I would never recommend anyone apply anywhere just because it’s aspirational.

But no one needs five offers back.

We have a peculiarity of the English Language here. No one needs five offers, true, you just need a minimum of one offer of a place at university that you're happy to go to and can get the grades for. But, this phrase is often used as in "I need five offers like I need a hole in the head".

So are you saying is it's best to apply for a couple of universities that you're not likely to get offers for, because having five offers is an undesirable position to be in? So if someone is predicted A*AB, but all the universities they liked the look of wanted ABB, you would advise them to be more aspirational so as to not get "too many" offers?

Genuine question asked out of curiosity.
Original post by Artjen
We have a peculiarity of the English Language here. No one needs five offers, true, you just need a minimum of one offer of a place at university that you're happy to go to and can get the grades for. But, this phrase is often used as in "I need five offers like I need a hole in the head".

So are you saying is it's best to apply for a couple of universities that you're not likely to get offers for, because having five offers is an undesirable position to be in? So if someone is predicted A*AB, but all the universities they liked the look of wanted ABB, you would advise them to be more aspirational so as to not get "too many" offers?

For someone who clearly likes to unpick language, you dont seem to have a solid grasp of the meaning of aspirational. Admit-one is not suggesting the OP avoids getting 5 offers, but suggests if they want to aspire to a uni (as in they want to go to a specific uni but might be just below grade boundary) they could take a risk and apply, but should still have more achievable unis as a back up.

Greg
Reply 11
Original post by greg tony
For someone who clearly likes to unpick language, you dont seem to have a solid grasp of the meaning of aspirational. Admit-one is not suggesting the OP avoids getting 5 offers, but suggests if they want to aspire to a uni (as in they want to go to a specific uni but might be just below grade boundary) they could take a risk and apply, but should still have more achievable unis as a back up.

Greg

Thanks Greg, I'll wait for Admit-One to explain what they actually meant, because I'm interested. Admit-One specifically said that applying to at least one aspirational uni was recommended. My understanding is that aspirational choices is usually taken to mean universities asking for grades above what the student is predicted. And my question was (not necessarily in relation to the OP's exact situation) does that mean it's not recommended to apply for five "safe" choices? The only explanation offered as to why this might be the case was that no-one needs five offers. But people do come on here quite proud of the fact that they've got five offers...
Original post by Artjen
Thanks Greg, I'll wait for Admit-One to explain what they actually meant, because I'm interested. Admit-One specifically said that applying to at least one aspirational uni was recommended. My understanding is that aspirational choices is usually taken to mean universities asking for grades above what the student is predicted. And my question was (not necessarily in relation to the OP's exact situation) does that mean it's not recommended to apply for five "safe" choices? The only explanation offered as to why this might be the case was that no-one needs five offers. But people do come on here quite proud of the fact that they've got five offers...

I would certainly recommend having a crack at something just beyond one's predictions. Life isn't about avoiding risk at all costs. Many of the people who have achieved five offers have played it too safe, imo.
Original post by Artjen

It is only you that is suggesting that someone should aim for one or 2 offers not 5.

The point is not to just choose 5 unis that you will definitely get into, but also allow yourself to pick some unis that you really want to go to but may come up short on results day. Having 5 offers can be bad if it is because you only chose unis based on grade requirements and not because you really wanted to go there. In this case you may sell yourself short and miss an opportunity at a uni you may have gotten in to, just because it was slightly above your grades. (Imagine it like picking a partner, sure you could increase your chances by going for anyone who will take you, or you could also try the odd chat up to someone you may really like but think is out of your league. You might feel the night a success if that one person reciprocated whereas you might feel it a failure if only the others did, but again silly to just chase people out of your league so you need to spread your bets).

You can also have 5 offers and it be amazing, if you chose your top 5 unis. It is about balance, not risking all your choices on either safe bets but not all one aspirational choices either.
Original post by Artjen

You are totally missing the point. Universities often make offers to someone whose predicted grades dont meet their entry requirements. People call them aspirational or reach offers. Universities often accept students whose A level grades havent met the entry requirements. This is what Admit-one knows that you clearly dont and has first hand knowledge being an admissions officer. It is generally accepted that having 1 or maybe 2 aspirational choices is sensible giving a student the chance to try and get into better universities than their predictions allow. The general advice is 1 aspirational university, 2 or 3 at predicted grades and 1 or 2 below in case you dont get offers or your grades are lower.

Some choose to apply to more than 1 aspirational university but it is dependent on the level of risk a student wants to take. Even if someone gets 5 rejections there are still extra, clearing or gap years as options.

Instead of trying to be clever it would be far better to listen to the voice of experience that Admit-one offers.
Original post by Artjen

I am saying that all things being equal, (and for many applicants, the 'best ' choices could be five courses below their predictions, for others five above their predictions may be worthwhile - eg.international students may have options in their home country if things fall through in the UK), picking one or two choices a grade above predictions is emminently sensible. It is the recommended approach by nearly everyone familiar with the UK admissions process. From my POV, I am speaking from the position of someone that has worked in both UG and PG admissions for years.

And again, I am talking about 1 grade below. 2 or or more gets into the realm of being very speculative and risky.

I also disagree with "not likely to get offers for". Unless people are applying to London unis or headline courses elsewhere, they are much more likely to get offers than they think. Most courses in the UK aren't that selective.

Anyother way of thinking about it is, (again, all things being equal amoungst the courses, which of course they won't be in the real world), if someone gets 5 offers back, they probably should have aimed higher for at least one choice.

(@greg tony, @ageshallnot, @swanseajack1 - many thanks for the follow-up comments.)
Original post by Admit-One
I am saying that all things being equal, (and for many applicants, the 'best ' choices could be five courses below their predictions, for others five above their predictions may be worthwhile - eg.international students may have options in their home country if things fall through in the UK), picking one or two choices a grade above predictions is emminently sensible. It is the recommended approach by nearly everyone familiar with the UK admissions process. From my POV, I am speaking from the position of someone that has worked in both UG and PG admissions for years.

And again, I am talking about 1 grade below. 2 or or more gets into the realm of being very speculative and risky.

I also disagree with "not likely to get offers for". Unless people are applying to London unis or headline courses elsewhere, they are much more likely to get offers than they think. Most courses in the UK aren't that selective.

Anyother way of thinking about it is, (again, all things being equal amoungst the courses, which of course they won't be in the real world), if someone gets 5 offers back, they probably should have aimed higher for at least one choice.

(@greg tony, @ageshallnot, @swanseajack1 - many thanks for the follow-up comments.)

I agree with this! It's sensible to challenge yourself by applying to some unis one grade above your predicted but also unis one grade below your predicted grades and not to worry if you don't hear back from all your chosen unis, it's completely normal not to receive all 5 offers. Universities use a combination of predicted grades and your personal statement to give offers so ensuring both of these are strong will help in obtaining more offers

Hope this helps!
Z
UG IR & Arabic
I also forgot to mention that many unis don't use predicted grades in their offer making process at all. I think it's less common the higher the grade requirement, but for AAA courses then it's definitely possible.
Reply 18
"Instead of trying to be clever it would be far better to listen to the voice of experience that Admit-one offers."

No, I wasn't trying to be clever, I was just interested in the different viewpoints. Thanks for the input everyone.
Original post by Artjen
No, I wasn't trying to be clever, I was just interested in the different viewpoints. Thanks for the input everyone.

Feel free to hit the rep button if any of it was useful :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending