The Student Room Group

How many GCSEs can one take and What GCSEs are there?

How many GCSEs can you take, can you take any outside of school and what GCSEs subjects can we take?
Original post by JS703
How many GCSEs can you take, can you take any outside of school and what GCSEs subjects can we take?

Privately you can take as much as you want, if your in school then you can only take what your school offers. There are subjects like- English literature, English language, Maths, double science- which is core science and additional science or biology chemistry and physics, sociology, travel and tourism, religious studies, business studies, history, further maths, geography, computing, pe, classics art and media. Hope this helped! :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks a lot for you answer, it helped me understand a lot more. However do you have a list or a website link that shows all the possible subjects for GCSEs?
Different schools hold different choices for you. In my school, it's compulsory to do English Language and Literature, Maths, Science (Double or Triple award), RS and Citizenship and 3 additional options that we can choose. So from here, schools vary in what they do.
Reply 5
It varies. At my high school the general number was 10-11 depending on if you did 1 or 2 English GCSEs (English, vs English Language and English Literature separately). I did 12 total, with the 12th being done through an afterschool club (although it ended up being half self-taught). There were also other exceptions, like people who already speak a language being able to take that GCSE - e.g. a couple of people in my year spoke Portuguese and were able to take the GCSE even though the school didn't actually teach it.
You have to English, maths, and some sort of science wherever you go, I think. Some have other requirements, e.g. obligatory RS/RE, ICT, or languages. Then you can choose some number of options, e.g. history, geography, music, art, etc.
If you look at exam board websites, all of the GCSE subjects they examine are listed. Look at the OCR, AQA and edexcel websites to see options. You need to do maths, English language and literature and one or more sciences (some schools also say a language) as a minimum. But there are loads of options!
There was this Asian that took over 18 or something.
in my school ur aloud to do 7 GCSE's which means u have 1 day in tech and if u do 9/10 ur in school full time any after school clubs/revision classes etc.u have to do english lit or english language, maths, RE and science( single,double,triple) then u have other ones eg. t
Original post by username2713253
privately you can take as much as you want, if your in school then you can only take what your school offers. There are subjects like- english literature, english language, maths, double science- which is core science and additional science or biology chemistry and physics, sociology, travel and tourism, religious studies, business studies, history, further maths, geography, computing, pe, classics art and media. Hope this helped! :smile:

this helped a lot ..............................
Not
Reply 10
You can take as many GCSEs as you want - a good friend of mine did 16 (3 languages as well) and got 15 A* (an A in Spanish which he did in year 9). Smart f**k.

Anyway, I did 11, and don't see the point of doing of too many more than that. You can take GCSEs out of school but you'd need to learn the content and pay an exam centre to take the exam.

There's gazillions of GCSEs but you'll have to do English lit/lang, Maths and at least double award science.

Quick Reply

Latest