The Student Room Group

Uni application

So I’ve completed my A-Levels this year, and I have been predicted ABB-BBB. I’m wanting to go into Physiotherapy at University.
I faced a difficult situation which meant I came out of high school with practically no GCSEs, I only got a B in PE in Year 10. I was unable to attend Year 11 due to COVID.
One of my A Levels is science related, the others being humanities.
Ergo, I’m wondering if anybody can state their opinions on whether I’ll still have a decent shot at being accepted, despite not having GCSEs.

*I’m aware I haven’t stated any unis yet, this is because my plan is to take a gap year before uni. So, if there are any suggestions as to what may be beneficial in boosting my chances of getting accepted throughout my gap year, that’d be much appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Scroll to see replies

You need to check the entry requirements which layout the minimum standards and then see what successful applicants typically have.

Most universities will require a minimum standard for GCSE and physio is fairly competitive so you will still need to meet the standards outlined on unis websites in the requisite subjects, for A-levels a quick google seems to show most unis want ABB+ with a subject like biology or similar (some flexibility).

What subject is your science related subject?
Have you re-sat your GCSEs, are you in the process of doing this? Lack of English & maths I think may well be a deal breaker.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by mnot
You need to check the entry requirements which layout the minimum standards and then see what successful applicants typically have.

Most universities will require a minimum standard for GCSE and physio is fairly competitive so you will still need to meet the standards outlined on unis websites in the requisite subjects, for A-levels a quick google seems to show most unis want ABB+ with a subject like biology or similar (some flexibility).

What subject is your science related subject?
Have you re-sat your GCSEs, are you in the process of doing this? Lack of English & maths I think may well be a deal breaker.

Biology is the science related subject. I did english literature and history as my others. My main worry is my GCSE maths so I have contemplated on resitting during my gap year as I’ll have the time. Just wanted some other opinions. Thank you.
My choice is either to go the physio route or as a back up go into Human Biology/Sports Science combined courses and see if I can go through physio that way. From what I’ve seen there, the requirements are a bit lower as, like you said, physio is competitive.

Many thanks :smile:
Original post by Scienceconsumer
Biology is the science related subject. I did english literature and history as my others. My main worry is my GCSE maths so I have contemplated on resitting during my gap year as I’ll have the time. Just wanted some other opinions. Thank you.
My choice is either to go the physio route or as a back up go into Human Biology/Sports Science combined courses and see if I can go through physio that way. From what I’ve seen there, the requirements are a bit lower as, like you said, physio is competitive.

I think you may need to resit several GCSEs as a lot of unis might have a minimum requirement for example, 7 GCSEs including english & maths + the A-level requirements.

I think the GCSE issue will likely be a problem for any UK honours degree (@Admit-One thoughts?)

If you get a good set of A-levels (in line with requirements or higher), then I think you could make an application with you resitting GCSEs in the gap year. But if you look at this I would do a couple things:
- Have a contingency plan, if I get rejected what am I doing that I would be happy doing (if you can get a decent set of A-levels & cover the GCSE issue then even if you look at uni after a second gap year or via UCAS extra/clearing you can still find a decent course)
-Speak to admissions staff for physio this summer, go find out if they would consider you & what they would like to see if so (perhaps via email or open days) explaining your qualifications and circumstances and gathering up the answers directly will put you in the best place information wise (rather then gambling)
I can't speak for physio course in particular, but unis will often ask for 5 or 7 GCSE's as a minimum. Grades aren't always that important beyond Eng + Maths but it depends on the competitiveness of the course.

Not clear whether the OP just has poor grades or didn't sit that many GCSE's. If the latter, might be a judgement call from the uni depending on the circumstances, (hopefully the ref would cover these).

As always, I would recommend contacting some target unis ahead of time to get a bit of a steer.

The likelyhood is most universities will require 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above including Emglish Language and Maths. Maths might be higher for your course. As already stated check with your target universities. It is very unusual for a school or college to accept you for A levels without an appropriate number of GCSEs
Hi, so during COVID I technically missed all of my year 11 due to health problems and not being able to sit them during such high worrying times. That explains why I have 1 GCSE from Year 10, but none from Year 11. Then, I went straight into college. I do have some predicted grades from Year9/10 but I didn’t think they’d be valid, useful, or eligible. But if you think otherwise, please let me know.

I’ll definitely take up the advice on contacting some people, going into some open days and doing some research.
Original post by Admit-One
I can't speak for physio course in particular, but unis will often ask for 5 or 7 GCSE's as a minimum. Grades aren't always that important beyond Eng + Maths but it depends on the competitiveness of the course.

Not clear whether the OP just has poor grades or didn't sit that many GCSE's. If the latter, might be a judgement call from the uni depending on the circumstances, (hopefully the ref would cover these).

As always, I would recommend contacting some target unis ahead of time to get a bit of a steer.
Thank you the help! I’ll be sure to take it up and consider all you’ve said :smile:
Original post by mnot
I think you may need to resit several GCSEs as a lot of unis might have a minimum requirement for example, 7 GCSEs including english & maths + the A-level requirements.

I think the GCSE issue will likely be a problem for any UK honours degree (@Admit-One thoughts?)

If you get a good set of A-levels (in line with requirements or higher), then I think you could make an application with you resitting GCSEs in the gap year. But if you look at this I would do a couple things:
- Have a contingency plan, if I get rejected what am I doing that I would be happy doing (if you can get a decent set of A-levels & cover the GCSE issue then even if you look at uni after a second gap year or via UCAS extra/clearing you can still find a decent course)
-Speak to admissions staff for physio this summer, go find out if they would consider you & what they would like to see if so (perhaps via email or open days) explaining your qualifications and circumstances and gathering up the answers directly will put you in the best place information wise (rather then gambling)
Hi, so during COVID I technically missed all of my year 11 due to health problems and not being able to sit them during such high worrying times. That explains why I have 1 GCSE from Year 10, but none from Year 11. Then, I went straight into college. I do have some predicted grades from Year9/10 but I didn’t think they’d be valid, useful, or eligible. But if you think otherwise, please let me know.

I’ll definitely take up the advice on contacting some people, going into some open days and doing some research.

The only thing you can do is get your referee to mention this. It will be down to the university whether they accept this. If you are taking a gap year you could take 4 GCSEs including English Language and Maths so you meet the GCSE requirements.
Only thing I’m worried about is cost. Aren’t they quite pricey?
When I emailed Liverpool Hope University mid this year (though this was for the Human Biology and Sport & Physical Education course not Physio), they specified that my overall UCAS points would determine my position on the course, so do you think what they have said (given this is a university I have been considering) into account?

I’ll go look into best ways to resit GCSEs, tyyy!
Original post by swanseajack1
The only thing you can do is get your referee to mention this. It will be down to the university whether they accept this. If you are taking a gap year you could take 4 GCSEs including English Language and Maths so you meet the GCSE requirements.
I really dont know how a university will treat this. Lots of students had covid issues and were given teachers grades so I dont understand why you didnt have them. Colleges and Sixth forms usually require them so I really cannot say anything. If you are taking a gap year then take GCSEs and they can be shown as pending. Your referee ie the person who gives your reference can explain your individual circumstances. The most common GCSE requirement is 5 gcses including English Language and Maths. Whether any university will treat you differently only they can answer.

Yeah, if they're predictions, (and not Teacher Awarded Grades or Centre Awarded Grades under COVID), then they won't be much use I'm afraid.

When I emailed Liverpool Hope University mid this year (though this was for the Human Biology and Sport & Physical Education course not Physio), they specified that my overall UCAS points would determine my position on the course, so do you think what they have said (given this is a university I have been considering) into account?

This is a good sign IMO. Suggests they're just looking at your level 3 qualifications (A-Levels etc) for entry. However you'd still need to meet any course or uni-wide English and Maths requirements, (or you would do at most places). A promising start though.
Reply 12
So I’ve completed my A-Levels this year, and I have been predicted ABB-BBB. I’m wanting to go into Physiotherapy at University.
I faced a difficult situation which meant I came out of high school with practically no GCSEs, I only got a B in PE in Year 10. I was unable to attend Year 11 due to COVID.
One of my A Levels is science related, the others being humanities.
Ergo, I’m wondering if anybody can state their opinions on whether I’ll still have a decent shot at being accepted, despite not having GCSEs.

*I’m aware I haven’t stated any unis yet, this is because my plan is to take a gap year before uni. So, if there are any suggestions as to what may be beneficial in boosting my chances of getting accepted throughout my gap year, that’d be much appreciated.

Thank you!!!

It’s strange reading that you didn’t get any GCSE’s as I just finished yr 13 and didn’t sit them due to Covid but most schools I know just gave whatever they thought you would get, though I saw you mentioned other health issues so maybe that’s why you didn’t get them. A B in PE in year 10 is absolutely fine you will just need maths and English language usually at a grade 4 or above for physio courses. However, since you’re thinking of taking a gap year it’s possible you could look into doing a foundation course in healthcare that lasts a year as these tend to be cheaper than dong GCSE’s outside of college age and are accepted by many unis (but I would email or call unis you’re interested in applying to just to make sure) so long as you’ve met the a level requirements and have shown that you are capable you just experienced hardship which disrupted your learning.
One uni i would definitely recommend would be UWE, they are my insurance choice, the grade requirements are 128 ucas points with a B in a level biology but they tend to be much more inclusive and give people that wouldn’t be given the opportunity at other unis a chance as long as they show their enthusiasm.
During your gap year I recommend getting as much experience as you can ie work as a HCA, care assistant or if you can as a physios assistant (this being more preferred but is very competitive among gap yr students) as this will show you have experience and understand what the job entails. Definitely do some research on a range of conditions physios treat in the nhs, I did an EPQ on cystic fibrosis and the interviewers loved asking about this and it was a large talking point within the interview. Basically enhance your knowledge of physio as well as you as a person as interviews are the main part of gaining offers from unis once you get past the minimum academic requirements.
Hey all, I know this thread has been a bit quiet but I wanted to let you know that I got in contact with some Universities and most have said they needed me to have the GCSEs.

So I’ve been considering how exactly to do it most efficiently and preferably as cheap as possible. So there are equivalency tests that some universities forwarded me to, however I’m not sure what the rep of them are or if they are widely accepted. Any help towards that would be much appreciated!

Do you think I should resist the GCSEs in June 24, or do the equivalency tests which can be at any point in the year? I don’t think I’ll need a year to learn all the content you see as I’ve done some past papers and I’m roughly getting a 7 on the higher in Maths and Biology.

Any thoughts? Many thanks :smile:
Hey all, I know this thread has been a bit quiet but I wanted to let you know that I got in contact with some Universities and most have said they needed me to have the GCSEs.

So I’ve been considering how exactly to do it most efficiently and preferably as cheap as possible. So there are equivalency tests that some universities forwarded me to, however I’m not sure what the rep of them are or if they are widely accepted. Any help towards that would be much appreciated!

Do you think I should resist the GCSEs in June 24, or do the equivalency tests which can be at any point in the year? I don’t think I’ll need a year to learn all the content you see as I’ve done some past papers and I’m roughly getting a 7 on the higher in Maths and Biology.

Any thoughts? Many thanks :smile:

I would sit them in June 2024. The universities will then make offers for you to achieve the .necessary grades just like A level.
I’d take the GCSE’s.
Reply 16
I would sit them in June 2024. The universities will then make offers for you to achieve the .necessary grades just like A level.

I’d recommend taking the gap year and doing GCSEs rather than equivalents. Also, as you would only doing 4 or 5 GCSEs, compared to the normal 9 or 10, and the fact that you already have some advanced knowledge from A-levels, you should have plenty of time to get part time work to cover the cost, plus maybe also some volunteering in your chosen field.
(edited 8 months ago)

This shouldnt be too expensive. Have a word with your college to see if they can help. Sit English and Maths and a couple of others or check with universities to see if they accept a BTEC level 2 in science if your local college does it. Another option is to sit the subjects you are taking at A level if the syllabus is similar. If necessary speak to your careers adviser.
This shouldnt be too expensive. Have a word with your college to see if they can help. Sit English and Maths and a couple of others or check with universities to see if they accept a BTEC level 2 in science if your local college does it. Another option is to sit the subjects you are taking at A level if the syllabus is similar. If necessary speak to your careers adviser.

This is what I am referring to. You will need yo check your universities will accept this. There is 1 in applied science which should be ideal for you. Take along with English and Maths if you dont have them.

BTEC level 2 Extended Certificate or Diploma is equivalent to four GCSEs, at grade A*- C.
I’d recommend sitting maths/English in the November sitting if you can (English and maths are the only GCSEs that have multiple sittings). Get those out of the way early and that will likely meet requirements for many universities. If you can do both lit and lang and you’d be up to 4 total GCSEs by January results day.

Then think about what 2 or 3 other subjects you’d take in the summer sitting.

Keeping the minimum results pending in august will be the best option - because the GCSE results are a week later than A levels that can cause problems if you miss your offer conditions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending