The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Transport Economics F584 2016 (23/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
For anyone who did 2 b did they write the same as the 8 marker?
Original post by r-star
should be right but i would rather write about commuting plus its 4 marker so i think you had to write more then that.

then i talked about how rail is perceived as inferior public transport, that commuters prefer using private car instead thus not contributing too much to econ prosperity? is this alright?

then a judgement
Reply 82
Original post by 1ddsdgv

i didnt do 2B but for 8 marker it was exactly same as 2B which i dont understand why would OCR ask the same question twice. efficiency gains, charateristics, economies of scale... judegment for 8 marker
Reply 83
Did anyone do q4 and if so what did you talk about for both Qs?
Original post by 1ddsdgv

Yeah pretty much, seemed a bit strange that they asked basically the same question twice
Original post by daldald
So about how many marks is that though?

I can't tell you, I don't know the quality of your answer and which level you reach. Mark schemes are unlikely to be finalised until the end of next week.
@keynes24

Sorry to bother you, just that you seem to know the most. For Q2a which was something like "Analyse, using a diagram, how the profit which is made by a firm is influenced by the relationship between marginal cost and marginal revenue."

Everyone I spoke to after the exam is saying they just defined MC and MR, drew the two curves out on a diagram and waffled for a bit about how MC=MR is profit maximisation, and then spoke about MC<MR and MC>MR.

I instead drew the monopoly diagram and showed how MC=MR can allow them to make supernormal profits, then moved onto perfect competition and essentially used that to explain how MR=AR=D which are perfectly elastic and so this elasticity of MR affects profits etc etc. Padded my answer out of course, but that was the main idea behind it.

I think my explanation and analysis of what I did was decent but I'm really worried I completely misinterpreted the question and will have dropped 15 marks on that alone :s-smilie:

Thank you!
Original post by felecita
@keynes24

Sorry to bother you, just that you seem to know the most. For Q2a which was something like "Analyse, using a diagram, how the profit which is made by a firm is influenced by the relationship between marginal cost and marginal revenue."

Everyone I spoke to after the exam is saying they just defined MC and MR, drew the two curves out on a diagram and waffled for a bit about how MC=MR is profit maximisation, and then spoke about MC<MR and MC>MR.

I instead drew the monopoly diagram and showed how MC=MR can allow them to make supernormal profits, then moved onto perfect competition and essentially used that to explain how MR=AR=D which are perfectly elastic and so this elasticity of MR affects profits etc etc. Padded my answer out of course, but that was the main idea behind it.

I think my explanation and analysis of what I did was decent but I'm really worried I completely misinterpreted the question and will have dropped 15 marks on that alone :s-smilie:

Thank you!

I have not yet seen the question but if it was as you indicated I would have approached as your friends indicated (marginal analysis, left /right , MR> MC, MR<MC). You wouldn't get zero for your explanation , you should get at least L2 but I haven't yet seen the paper or mark scheme.
Reply 88
For q4a, can't remember the exact wording, was something like 'Analyse the economic effects of increased demand for road transport in relation to the environment', was I right to talk about negative externalities and market failure? And how an increase in demand would worsen the overconsumption hence make the market more allocatively inefficient? Hated the whole paper
What did people write for the revenue question..? I said as fare prices increase demand decreases decreasing rev and vice versa and explained why. Also what did you put for the question about car users??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Luke543
For q4a, can't remember the exact wording, was something like 'Analyse the economic effects of increased demand for road transport in relation to the environment', was I right to talk about negative externalities and market failure? And how an increase in demand would worsen the overconsumption hence make the market more allocatively inefficient? Hated the whole paper

What about for the essay? I referred to regulation tax and subsidies not confident

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by Adam97s
What about for the essay? I referred to regulation tax and subsidies not confident

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did the exact same, pretty sure that was the right thing to do for that. What did you do for 4a?
Original post by coolguy123456
I did q4, yeah you were meant to just talk about environment impact as it already said there was an increase in demand

What enviromental impacts did you talk about? I talked about noise pollution, air pollution and visual intrusion
Original post by ppe/gov&econ
What enviromental impacts did you talk about? I talked about noise pollution, air pollution and visual intrusion

I did the first 2, natural habitat, effect of diseases on NHS (third party)
Original post by ppe/gov&econ

Would you then not talk about the 'economic effects' of these? Eg. Environmental cost = Air pollution; Economic costs of air pollution include costs to NHS of increased use of service etc.
Reply 95
Original post by markwaleczek
Would you then not talk about the 'economic effects' of these? Eg. Environmental cost = Air pollution; Economic costs of air pollution include costs to NHS of increased use of service etc.

Thats what I did, it said 'economic effects' or something in the question so i referred to negative externalities and drew the diagram
Original post by Luke543
Did the exact same, pretty sure that was the right thing to do for that. What did you do for 4a?

For 4A, I spoke about air pollution and how this causes crop yields to fall and therefore means that the government may pay more to subsidise the farmers or it may cause them to be out of work and therefore unemployment benefits.

As well as this, the NHS incurs costs due to having poorer quality of air would mean that asthma suffers are in a worse state.

There may be falling house prices near motorways and roads due to visual blight, and the government may need to compensate for the falling house prices.

Excess demand may require extra supply of roads, and therefore this would mean that the roads need to be built on land, which means a loss of natural habitat and the government may need to compensate for this.

But I wasn't sure so I done a few 'normal' L3s such as congestion and other factors, I know it was overkill but I tried to cover all bases.

4B, I chose Road User Charging and gave examples such as Singapore and compared this to subsidies, and then mentioned that an integrated policy would work best as government can hypothecate the tax revenue into subsidies and therefore have free resources to make sure that there is congestion charging occurring on most roads, else there may be greater negative externalities from users trying to avoid the charge, i.e. they may travel more miles to avoid the cost, and therefore pollute even more
Original post by thelion786
For 4A, I spoke about air pollution and how this causes crop yields to fall and therefore means that the government may pay more to subsidise the farmers or it may cause them to be out of work and therefore unemployment benefits.

As well as this, the NHS incurs costs due to having poorer quality of air would mean that asthma suffers are in a worse state.

There may be falling house prices near motorways and roads due to visual blight, and the government may need to compensate for the falling house prices.

Excess demand may require extra supply of roads, and therefore this would mean that the roads need to be built on land, which means a loss of natural habitat and the government may need to compensate for this.

But I wasn't sure so I done a few 'normal' L3s such as congestion and other factors, I know it was overkill but I tried to cover all bases.

4B, I chose Road User Charging and gave examples such as Singapore and compared this to subsidies, and then mentioned that an integrated policy would work best as government can hypothecate the tax revenue into subsidies and therefore have free resources to make sure that there is congestion charging occurring on most roads, else there may be greater negative externalities from users trying to avoid the charge, i.e. they may travel more miles to avoid the cost, and therefore pollute even more

ayyy glad to read that first paragraph! thought i was being a complete ret when i talked about lower crop yields and unemployment because of air quality haha
Original post by Luke543
Thats what I did, it said 'economic effects' or something in the question so i referred to negative externalities and drew the diagram

'Economic effects' refers to giving economic analysis of the environmental effects, so explaining the external costs to the environment with the environment as the third party
Original post by andygeor
ayyy glad to read that first paragraph! thought i was being a complete ret when i talked about lower crop yields and unemployment because of air quality haha

My friend does Geography and our teacher marked his essays and he got 20 on one, on which he mentioned crop yields, I'm lucky I read that before this haha! Else I wouldn't have ever thought of it, but I hope that's what they required, I had no clue!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending