The Student Room Group

Applying for a PhD (CV and grades)

Hi guys,

I dono if this has been asked before (sorry if it has), i've just finished my degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences and I would like to apply for a PhD. However, I don't know what to include in my CV, do I need to include all my modules and the grades I got. would I need a separate section for my final year project, for example do I need to talk about the aim of the project and what skills I gained from doing the project.

I got a first over all for my degree however, I got 70% in my final year project, would that impact my application negatively at all? as I've heard you need at least 80% in your final year project when applying for a PhD.

Original post by Min ^_^
Hi guys,

I dono if this has been asked before (sorry if it has), i've just finished my degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences and I would like to apply for a PhD. However, I don't know what to include in my CV, do I need to include all my modules and the grades I got. would I need a separate section for my final year project, for example do I need to talk about the aim of the project and what skills I gained from doing the project.

I got a first over all for my degree however, I got 70% in my final year project, would that impact my application negatively at all? as I've heard you need at least 80% in your final year project when applying for a PhD.

You don't need to include grades and modules, they will get them from the transcript. Neither do you 'need at least 80% in your final year when applying for a PhD' - people apply for PhDs from a range of backgrounds and institutions and there is no common syllabus or marking scheme on which to base such a demand, unlike undergrad admissions.

It's just a CV like any other, tailored to show PhD skills, ie academics, research skills, writing, analysis, lab work/translation as required, presentation skills etc
I've applied for PhDs with a similar background to you, and no, I absolutely did not include specific module marks. I detailed the areas which my degree covered (which will be fairly diverse if you're doing pharm. science) and listed transferrable skills. The idea of a C.V. is it allows an employer to quickly gain an overview of you as a candidate - it is not meant to be a detailed account of everything you've ever done. You should be able to summarize yourself in 1-2 pages, and frankly, using space on things like module marks (which don't say much other than you got X% in Y) would not reflect well - that space could be better used.

But yes, you absolutely should save some space for any research projects you have done, for that is highly relevant experience. Also, if someone has been telling you that you need 80%+, you should probably stop listening to them; that is not good advice. Like you, I got something in the 70% range, and nobody - I mean nobody - has ever asked me why I didn't get 80%. Actually, I made damn well sure I knew what I did/acheived in my project inside out instead, and furthermore, could relate it to whatever project I applied for. Trust me, potential supervisors would rather have someone who is passionate and interested in their project than someone who simply did well in it - because, again, 80% is just a number. It doesn't actually say much about you as a person.
You should still have access to your careers service and hopefully good relationships with people you can ask for refs. See if they'd be willing to have a look at your CV and make suggestions.
Reply 4
Is the university asking for a CV? Checkthe requirements before spending lots of time doing one. For my PhD application I had to fill in an online form (which asks for most of the same things you would put in a CV but is specific about details like the one in your query), and write a research proposal, which gave me chance to go on at length about the things I wanted to talk about. They didn't want a CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll need to have a more academic style CV (which is really quite different to one you'd use for a retail position for example). Make sure you write on any research experience you have had. Illustrate the techniques you have learned rather than information about the project. They can ask you about a project in an interview but there is the chance of not even getting an interview you if you haven't demonstrated that you have any appropriate techniques under your belt. I also had a 'relevant skills' section where I could demonstrate skills from societies/jobs etc that weren't necessarily scientific. In my education section, I listed a few modules appropriate to the position and what grade I was expecting overall - that's it. It was maybe 3 lines tops for my 4 years at university.

That 80% value is complete nonsense. I was applying for PhDs before I had gotten any project marks and those I interviewed with were much more interested in whether I was genuinely interested in the project, what skills I had thus far and if I appeared to get along with the rest of the group. Someone who achieves 80%+ might look great on paper, but if they don't get along with the rest of the group there is the chance that it could negatively affect everyone (and who wants that?!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending