The Student Room Group

Prospects of being accepted into a PhD program?

So I would be a non-traditional graduate student since I would be returning from school after working for 2+ years. My original plan was to continue on to do a PhD/DPhil after finishing my masters, but because I was close to being burnt out, running out of funds as an intl. student in the UK lol, and pain from rejection after rejection, I made the decision to take a break from academia after graduating, move back to my home country, save up some money, and regroup.

Just wanted to know if my CV/experience is competitive enough to have a fighting chance to get accepted into a PhD/DPhil program. I am currently looking at Uni of Edinburgh and Oxford, specifically programs/departments related to chromosomal biology, molecular genetics, and/or genetic medicine.

Education:
2:1 (~64%) BSc Hons Biomed -- Newcastle Uni
PG Merit (~68%) MRes -- Newcastle Uni

Work experience:
--(in a nutshell) have been working at a pharmaceutical company for 2+ years in my home country running immunoassays (ELISA, MSD, etc.) and sample analysis to make sure their clients' pharmaceutical products are working

Just worried that the work experience I have now isn't enough to back up my degrees, since both my UG and MRes are genetics-focused and my current work is in immunochemistry, i.e. nowhere near what I studied for and what I hope to research.

Is my current CV lacking, and if so can anyone give me guidance on how to boost it (be it looking for a new job, keep applying, find another way to boost my CV, etc.)

I have been considering starting up applying for PhD/DPhil programs again as working in industry has made me realize that it isn't for me, but am scared that what I have now isn't enough lol. I didn't do so bad when I was initially applying way back when, I managed to get to the interview round for a few of them but they all obviously ended in bust.
(edited 12 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending