The Student Room Group

How to find a PhD

Hello guys! I would like to know the typical procedure of finding a PhD in the UK. In mainland Europe, normally, you go to the university websites, see the people, and send them an email asking if they are willing to accept PhD student. Sometimes, on university websites, there are advertised PhD projects, but a lot of times, the supervisors don't actually advertise them, and you have to send an email to ask.

I don't know how things work in the UK. Do you do the same thing? Or people only apply to the PhD opportunities advertised online?

Thank you in advance!
Original post by Graciiiii
Hello guys! I would like to know the typical procedure of finding a PhD in the UK. In mainland Europe, normally, you go to the university websites, see the people, and send them an email asking if they are willing to accept PhD student. Sometimes, on university websites, there are advertised PhD projects, but a lot of times, the supervisors don't actually advertise them, and you have to send an email to ask.

I don't know how things work in the UK. Do you do the same thing? Or people only apply to the PhD opportunities advertised online?

Thank you in advance!

What subject? The process in the sciences is often very different to Arts and Humanities.
Reply 2
Mechanical Engineering. I'm thinking of switching to something more related to applied math, but still not entirely sure.

Thank you in advance!

Very similar to the above in many cases, start by identifying research groups and supervisors working in areas you are interested in and drop them an email and CV. Some project descriptions do end up in the web, but not all as funding might come in at odd times or a new project might get awarded over the summer.
(edited 9 months ago)
At least in the natural sciences, a large proportion of PhD projects (certainly those run through DTPs/CTDs) are advertised on findaphd.com, which is the first place I'd look. Note that most DTP/CTD projects will not be advertised until October-December. In my experience, lots of projects are also advertised on twitter networks (it's a bit of a rubbish time to be getting into twitter, but tons of PhDs are advertised there). You can email people directly, but I'd recommend looking at DTPs/CTDs first. They're usually more competitive, but funding is much more secure, there are lots of funded training opportunities, and you're part of a cohort which makes the PhD less lonely.
Reply 5
Original post by Plagioclase
At least in the natural sciences, a large proportion of PhD projects (certainly those run through DTPs/CTDs) are advertised on findaphd.com, which is the first place I'd look. Note that most DTP/CTD projects will not be advertised until October-December. In my experience, lots of projects are also advertised on twitter networks (it's a bit of a rubbish time to be getting into twitter, but tons of PhDs are advertised there). You can email people directly, but I'd recommend looking at DTPs/CTDs first. They're usually more competitive, but funding is much more secure, there are lots of funded training opportunities, and you're part of a cohort which makes the PhD less lonely.

Thank you! Btw, what do "DTP" and "CTD" stand for?
Thank you! Btw, what do "DTP" and "CTD" stand for?

Doctoral Training Partnership, Centre for Doctoral Training (sorry should have been CDT, wrote CTD out of habit because that's equipment we use in oceanography lol). They go by different names but they're all basically cohort-based PhD programmes where funding is allocated for a certain number of projects which students compete for, rather than the traditional route of funding being allocated to a specific project.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending