The Student Room Group

Could I fail over this?

My AS english language paper was about 3-4 weeks ago now (WJEC), and I walked out of it feeling pretty OK. I wasn't uber confident, but I was pretty sound with my effort. I spoke to a few friends who also took the paper yesterday and I realised I did something really stupid - I didn't read the question properly.

The question was to write a script excerpt set on a beach. Now, mine wasn't set on a beach as such. It was set on a lighthouse next to the sea...could that be construed as a beach setting? I was so quickly running out of time at this point in the exam that I just went for it and wrote it, so I'm not even that confident on the content, but I feel worse now I know I might have missed the point entirely.

Help? I know I might be panicking needlessly but english is so so important to me
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Really depends on the examiner and whether they'll let you off for that - also whether you mentioned anything beach related ... I guess just prepare to get lower marks than you expected and this is a lesson learnt - read the question ! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by fefssdf
Really depends on the examiner and whether they'll let you off for that - also whether you mentioned anything beach related ... I guess just prepare to get lower marks than you expected and this is a lesson learnt - read the question ! :smile:

Thanks for the reply:smile: Yeah, I'm so annoyed with myself! The question was to write that script, along with a travel article for another beach setting and then compare the two...the big marks were for the comparison, I can't exactly recall the marks for the script/article, but I know they were considerably less. I had about 30 minutes left to do all three of those things so I just went for it all guns blazing, and now I'm pretty sure I may have to resit because I was so careless...really unlike me!!:angry:

One of my friends wrote about a forest so we definitely know he missed the point:s-smilie: I'm hoping that because mine's beach related and mentions the beach now and then that the examiner will let it slide, but as you said, that depends on the examiner...
Reply 3
Original post by Cari98
Thanks for the reply:smile: Yeah, I'm so annoyed with myself! The question was to write that script, along with a travel article for another beach setting and then compare the two...the big marks were for the comparison, I can't exactly recall the marks for the script/article, but I know they were considerably less. I had about 30 minutes left to do all three of those things so I just went for it all guns blazing, and now I'm pretty sure I may have to resit because I was so careless...really unlike me!!:angry:

One of my friends wrote about a forest so we definitely know he missed the point:s-smilie: I'm hoping that because mine's beach related and mentions the beach now and then that the examiner will let it slide, but as you said, that depends on the examiner...

I think you'll probably get away with it as a lighthouse is something you would see at a beach... the beach seems to just be the certain point and i guess the examiners should give some leeway for how you interpret the question :smile: at least you didn't write about a forest like your friend ! It could be worse .... If you do really bad then i would try a remark cause like i said someone might left you off but another examiner might be really mean and just completely mark you down - I would be so scared if I were you... I hate english exams cause you nether know how you've done cause like last year i did english lang as and i was feeling somewhat confident but ended up barely scraping a C so now I'm just gonna wait cause i have no idea what to suspect ;/ hopefully nice examiners will mean we still do alright . fingers crossed man :smile:
Original post by Cari98
My AS english language paper was about 3-4 weeks ago now (WJEC), and I walked out of it feeling pretty OK. I wasn't uber confident, but I was pretty sound with my effort. I spoke to a few friends who also took the paper yesterday and I realised I did something really stupid - I didn't read the question properly.

The question was to write a script excerpt set on a beach. Now, mine wasn't set on a beach as such. It was set on a lighthouse next to the sea...could that be construed as a beach setting? I was so quickly running out of time at this point in the exam that I just went for it and wrote it, so I'm not even that confident on the content, but I feel worse now I know I might have missed the point entirely.

Help? I know I might be panicking needlessly but english is so so important to me

Well they expect you to infer utter waffle from books so it'd be hypocrisy of the highest order if the examiner couldn't infer what you meant from your masterpiece!
Reply 5
Original post by Zygomaticus
Well they expect you to infer utter waffle from books so it'd be hypocrisy of the highest order if the examiner couldn't infer what you meant from your masterpiece!

Hahaha! 'Masterpiece'...I'm gonna start calling all my work that from now on:biggrin: Yep, my literature exam was basically me chatting nonsense for two hours so I reckon that should roll through to language as well...I'll take any grade now tbh, so over A levels already
Reply 6
Original post by fefssdf
I think you'll probably get away with it as a lighthouse is something you would see at a beach... the beach seems to just be the certain point and i guess the examiners should give some leeway for how you interpret the question :smile: at least you didn't write about a forest like your friend ! It could be worse .... If you do really bad then i would try a remark cause like i said someone might left you off but another examiner might be really mean and just completely mark you down - I would be so scared if I were you... I hate english exams cause you nether know how you've done cause like last year i did english lang as and i was feeling somewhat confident but ended up barely scraping a C so now I'm just gonna wait cause i have no idea what to suspect ;/ hopefully nice examiners will mean we still do alright . fingers crossed man :smile:

Well I hope they see it as a different interpretation of a beach setting, it meant I had loads more to go on when it came to my comparison so the marks for that shouldn't be too disastrous at least:redface:

Oh God, I really want an A in english at the end of A2 so i'm really hoping I do well! In my mocks I had an A in language and an E in literature so i'm kinda terrified I might get a repeat performance of that:s-smilie: I really don't want to have to retake the year...
Original post by Cari98
Hahaha! 'Masterpiece'...I'm gonna start calling all my work that from now on:biggrin: Yep, my literature exam was basically me chatting nonsense for two hours so I reckon that should roll through to language as well...I'll take any grade now tbh, so over A levels already

So you should :smile: Take pride in your work, who gives one if some examiner somewhere thinks your answer doesn't match up with his ideal mark scheme!

English Lit... Lol the one subject where you read something, scrutinise it in immense detail and then you get an absolute rip snorter of a question asking what some dude tripping on acid 700 years ago meant when he wrote the character was sad...
Reply 8
Original post by Cari98
Well I hope they see it as a different interpretation of a beach setting, it meant I had loads more to go on when it came to my comparison so the marks for that shouldn't be too disastrous at least:redface:

Oh God, I really want an A in english at the end of A2 so i'm really hoping I do well! In my mocks I had an A in language and an E in literature so i'm kinda terrified I might get a repeat performance of that:s-smilie: I really don't want to have to retake the year...

ah oh god.. I'm in a similar situation. I NEED an A in english lang for uni so if i font get it then I'm gonna have to retake the year ... the AS exam for some reason I just can't do ... I've already sat it twice and I'm probably going to have to do it again next year... if i get a really mean examiner then ill miss it by like a couple of marks but if they're nice then i should get the grade ... it is SO subjective I swear arghh
Reply 9
Original post by Zygomaticus
So you should :smile: Take pride in your work, who gives one if some examiner somewhere thinks your answer doesn't match up with his ideal mark scheme!

English Lit... Lol the one subject where you read something, scrutinise it in immense detail and then you get an absolute rip snorter of a question asking what some dude tripping on acid 700 years ago meant when he wrote the character was sad...

I read the entirety of In Cold Blood, a book about a family slaughtered in their home in the middle of the night and the quest to find out who did it...and then the 60 mark question was 'explain the role of women in 1950's America'.

Like, what the hell
Well a beah is next to water and you wrote something about water im guessing so youl shouldn't kick yourself..there is some similarity...youll be ok mate
Reply 11
Original post by fefssdf
ah oh god.. I'm in a similar situation. I NEED an A in english lang for uni so if i font get it then I'm gonna have to retake the year ... the AS exam for some reason I just can't do ... I've already sat it twice and I'm probably going to have to do it again next year... if i get a really mean examiner then ill miss it by like a couple of marks but if they're nice then i should get the grade ... it is SO subjective I swear arghh

You'll get there, I'm sure of it!!:wink: The whole of english is basically personal interpretation...if your examiner's interpretation doesn't match yours then you're screwed, it's all luck! But then I guess it's our fault for taking such subjective subjects ahaha! I took RE too, which is almost entirely opinion based, so it's even more subjective than english!!
Original post by Cari98
I read the entirety of In Cold Blood, a book about a family slaughtered in their home in the middle of the night and the quest to find out who did it...and then the 60 mark question was 'explain the role of women in 1950's America'.

Like, what the hell

Sigh :/ I'm sure you did fine though, your 1950s knowledge of American females I'm sure was considerable and the masterpiece produced on the A4 in that exam will be usurped by no other A level candidate.

To be honest, what you've described above is typical medschool tactics. Learn 100s of lectures, revise thousands of pages of anatomy and physiology textbooks etc then you get a load of questions on diseases found in remote parts of the world or you get a practical station which is borderline in the learning outcomes.
Original post by Cari98
You'll get there, I'm sure of it!!:wink: The whole of english is basically personal interpretation...if your examiner's interpretation doesn't match yours then you're screwed, it's all luck! But then I guess it's our fault for taking such subjective subjects ahaha! I took RE too, which is almost entirely opinion based, so it's even more subjective than english!!

oh yeh my mate does re and she was like ranting to me about how much she hates it... Yeh i wish i had carried on further maths to A2 and dropped english tbh ...
Reply 14
Original post by ikhan94
Well a beah is next to water and you wrote something about water im guessing so youl shouldn't kick yourself..there is some similarity...youll be ok mate

Thanks dude, think I just need the reassurance more than anything:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest