The Student Room Group

Aqa a level history coursework emergency!!

I NEED A TOPIC AND A QUESTION ASAP AND I'M SO STUCK AND CAN'T THINK IF ANYTHING.

IT CANNOT OVERLAP WITH TSARIST RUSSIA 1855-1964 or ANGEVIN KINGS 1154-1216

Please suggest topics with questions:frown:(((((

I was thinking something to do with America maybe and perhaps a theme of the law or development of politics or whatever, IT HAS TO SPAN 100 YEARS!!!!!!

Please plsplsplspslps help me I'm so stuck and need to submit my form ASAp:frown:(
You shouldn't be the one picking the question. The teacher does that for you from suggestions given by AQA themselves. The topic is usually picked together in class.
Speak to teacher.

There's no point in doing a topic that your teacher knows very little about.
Reply 3
Original post by crazysteve
I NEED A TOPIC AND A QUESTION ASAP AND I'M SO STUCK AND CAN'T THINK IF ANYTHING.

I was thinking something to do with America maybe and perhaps a theme of the law or development of politics or whatever, IT HAS TO SPAN 100 YEARS!!!!!!

Please plsplsplspslps help me I'm so stuck and need to submit my form ASAp:frown:(

- Germany 1848-1989 (covering unification, Weimar, Nazi, FRG/GDR and reunification) lots to get your teeth into!
- Britain and Europe 1914-2016, topical, good amount of change
Reply 4
Original post by katherine9609
You shouldn't be the one picking the question. The teacher does that for you from suggestions given by AQA themselves. The topic is usually picked together in class.

I'm not sure about the AQA spec, but with Edexcel students get complete autonomy over the coursework. The only thing they cannot do is a repeat of the interpretations topic from the exam.

Usually this autonomy is over the question, not the topic/time period. But I'm sure they could do it on whatever they wanted providing there's a teacher who has experience of the topic within the school. Like for us - we can do it on any question to do with witchcraft trials. However, we can divert and do something our teacher has expertise in.
Original post by jamestg
I'm not sure about the AQA spec, but with Edexcel students get complete autonomy over the coursework. The only thing they cannot do is a repeat of the interpretations topic from the exam.

Usually this autonomy is over the question, not the topic/time period. But I'm sure they could do it on whatever they wanted providing there's a teacher who has experience of the topic within the school. Like for us - we can do it on any question to do with witchcraft trials. However, we can divert and do something our teacher has expertise in.

I did the coursework last year (2015/16) academic year on AQA and Typically it's the teacher that has to pick the topic as overall they have to teach you things based on it for a few months before you actually start writing your essay. With AQA the topic can also be the same as least years as it's AQA who provide the center (your college) with the topics you can choose from, but it's the teacher that then narrows it down to what they can teach.
The students typically have to all agree on one question and then the teacher has to send it over to AQA for approval
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I did the coursework last year (2015/16) academic year on AQA and Typically it's the teacher that has to pick the topic as overall they have to teach you things based on it for a few months before you actually start writing your essay.
The students typically have to all agree on one question and then the teacher has to send it over to AQA for approval

Remember that current Y12s are on the new spec too :smile:
Reply 7
I did the coursework last year (2015/16) academic year on AQA and Typically it's the teacher that has to pick the topic as overall they have to teach you things based on it for a few months before you actually start writing your essay. With AQA the topic can also be the same as least years as it's AQA who provide the center (your college) with the topics you can choose from, but it's the teacher that then narrows it down to what they can teach.

Actually (I did AQA this year) that isn't true - it's simply that many schools decide to do it that way. We were allowed to pick our own topic; AQA does not provide topics to choose from and it is actually discouraged that all pupils in a centre do the same topic if you read examiners' reports. The teachers aren't meant to teach you and give you all the sources; it's meant to consist of independent research.

Original post by crazysteve

It's not an unusual topic but you could do the civil rights movement in America, or American Presidents.
Original post by rhensis
Actually (I did AQA this year) that isn't true - it's simply that many schools decide to do it that way. We were allowed to pick our own topic; AQA does not provide topics to choose from and it is actually discouraged that all pupils in a centre do the same topic if you read examiners' reports. The teachers aren't meant to teach you and give you all the sources; it's meant to consist of independent research.

It's not an unusual topic but you could do the civil rights movement in America, or American Presidents.

Your college usually ends up giving you a course book on the overall topic + some overview of the topic etc. That's what my teacher did. Other than that, the teacher isn't allowed to give you any guidance, cannot provide your sources for you, as that's when you're on your own with it. The teacher is only allowed to read over your whole work once to give you feedback but cannot suggest what to do to improve as that = a loss of marks. After all, whatever question you do, you will be marked individually on it without for eg. It mattering if your friend in the same class did the same question. Your ability to analyse the period with the use of your sources is what matters most. You don't get marks for question choice.

Of course, it's obvious that for the new A level you will have some things different. I was simply stating how it was when I was doing my coursework last year as its pretty similar to the new spec.
Reply 9
Your college usually ends up giving you a course book on the overall topic + some overview of the topic etc. That's what my teacher did. Other than that, the teacher isn't allowed to give you any guidance, cannot provide your sources for you, as that's when you're on your own with it. The teacher is only allowed to read over your whole work once to give you feedback but cannot suggest what to do to improve as that = a loss of marks. After all, whatever question you do, you will be marked individually on it without for eg. It mattering if your friend in the same class did the same question. Your ability to analyse the period with the use of your sources is what matters most. You don't get marks for question choice.

Of course, it's obvious that for the new A level you will have some things different. I was simply stating how it was when I was doing my coursework last year as its pretty similar to the new spec.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying - I did the same coursework/spec as you this academic year (15/16) and you said that the college/teacher chooses the overall topic and that OP shouldn't be choosing it themselves - that's not correct, and that's what I was correcting. I chose my own topic, as did everyone else in my class (with guidance, of course). I know that the teacher isn't allowed to correct or anything like that, and I never suggested that! It doesn't affect your mark if everyone does the same, but the exam board discourages it because it leads to very similar investigations inevitably and a lack of originality (you can read the reports yourself).
Original post by rhensis
I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying - I did the same coursework/spec as you this academic year (15/16) and you said that the college/teacher chooses the overall topic and that OP shouldn't be choosing it themselves - that's not correct, and that's what I was correcting. I chose my own topic, as did everyone else in my class (with guidance, of course). I know that the teacher isn't allowed to correct or anything like that, and I never suggested that! It doesn't affect your mark if everyone does the same, but the exam board discourages it because it leads to very similar investigations inevitably and a lack of originality (you can read the reports yourself).

I was just adding some extra stuff that might be useful for the OP. But what I was told by my teacher + college that it's usually them who pick the question BUT along with the students so that everyone can agree on it as well as the topic. My teacher had showed us the list of topics suggested by AQA (it was an actual email from them suggesting that you can do this or that or this but obviously you can go with something else) and we were all asked to pick out the one we want and we all eneded up just agreeing on civil rights. My teacher did say that yes you can pick your own topic etc. But he will have to have it approved by AQA beforehand. There were many people in my class that were pretty thick and went along with ANYTHING that was said to them so that's probably why we all ended up doing one and the same thing.

Even when the actual student chooses a question, AQA will change it all up for you to their own liking. (That's what they did to a couple of my friends who did the coursework in 2014/15) That's usually why some colleges pick one question for all after discussing it all
Reply 11
I was just adding some extra stuff that might be useful for the OP. But what I was told by my teacher + college that it's usually them who pick the question BUT along with the students so that everyone can agree on it as well as the topic. My teacher had showed us the list of topics suggested by AQA (it was an actual email from them suggesting that you can do this or that or this but obviously you can go with something else) and we were all asked to pick out the one we want and we all eneded up just agreeing on civil rights. My teacher did say that yes you can pick your own topic etc. But he will have to have it approved by AQA beforehand. There were many people in my class that were pretty thick and went along with ANYTHING that was said to them so that's probably why we all ended up doing one and the same thing.

Even when the actual student chooses a question, AQA will change it all up for you to their own liking. (That's what they did to a couple of my friends who did the coursework in 2014/15) That's usually why some colleges pick one question for all after discussing it all

Ah, I think you're talking about the fact that the teachers have a contact in AQA that helps pick coursework topics and will make suggestions/corrections where necessary, that makes sense I'm with you :smile: We all had to send off our proposals individually at my sixth form to AQA via our teacher and their contact to get them approved. It's not necessary to follow those topics at all and teachers don't have to use them and students don't have to do the same as long as all their proposals are AQA approved. I guess it probably depends on the size of your college/sixth form too since it would be time consuming to sort out an individual topic (there were only 67 of us in the entire sixth form and maybe 15 of whom did History so it was probably just as easy to do it individually as as a group).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending