The Student Room Group

Am I likely to fail my course?

So I just finished first year, and the exams were quite a bit harder than I expected, and I didn't do too great, with results corresponding to a "second-class" degree (i.e. 2.1... not a complete disaster IMO?)

But my dad is pissed and giving me a hard time, and he said if I couldn't even get a first-class in the first year, I'm going to fail...

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but in general, is he correct to say that?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
No I had a 2.2 in first year, high 2.2 in second year and a 2.1 in third year. My grades have actually got better as I progressed through the years with third year being my best year. So your dad is wrong on that front. Do not worry and just keep working hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozzielizzie
No I had a 2.2 in first year, high 2.2 in second year and a 2.1 in third year. My grades have actually got better as I progressed through the years with third year being my best year. So your dad is wrong on that front. Do not worry and just keep working hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, that's reassuring
Original post by Truth-Seeker
So I just finished first year, and the exams were quite a bit harder than I expected, and I didn't do too great, with results corresponding to a "second-class" degree (not a complete disaster IMO?)

But my dad is pissed and giving me a hard time, and he said if I couldn't even get a first-class in the first year, I'm going to fail...

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but in general, is he correct to say that?

Thanks

No, he's not correct - First Year is a learning curve and at most unis doesn't count much towards your final grade :h: In a way it's good that the exams were hard as it gives you an idea of what you need to aim for. You can still get a first or a 2:1 in your second and third years. :top:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
No, he's not correct - First Year is a learning curve and at most unis doesn't count much towards your final grade :h: In a way it's good that the exams were hard as it gives you an idea of what you need to aim for. You can still get a first or a 2:1 in your second and third years. :top:

Yeah, I guess that's why the first year doesn't actually count towards anything. And it definitely has been a "learning curve" as you put it!
Reply 5
As others have said, he is not correct. Like another person in the thread, I also got better with each year. I put this down to the adjustment I had to make going from FE to HE (also partly due to some slack, knowing my first year grades didn't contribute to the classification :P). Good luck!
Nah he's wrong. Finished my first year with a low 2.2 as really struggled with the change in pace/return to education, just finished my second year 1 mark of the elusive 1st! So judging from previous student I'm prob going to graduate with a 1st.Your dad also needs to remember a third is the unis acceptable level. your either acceptable, better than acceptable or fail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending