The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Surely if their victims are muslims this is enough evidence that ISIS are unislamic?

When you start to blame the ideology and not the group, you give them exactly what they want. They want to create divisions and hatred amongst us. When you blame the ideology - you blame the very way of life which the peaceful ramadan-observing, 5-times-a-day-praying muslims who are being slaughtered lived their lives by. Similarly, if you blame the ideology, you alienate those muslims who are actively campaigning against terror.

So let's just do the smart thing and agree that ISIS is unislamic and be each other's shield, a reasonable request if ever there was one.
Original post by MildredMalone
Unless you have recent pictures of them eating, you're making assumptions

Even if they started out as fasting, killing and their evil intentions break their fast, also they miss prayers whilst attacking - also breaks fast, numerous things they do will break their fast, so even if they are fasting, they're not, fasting is not just not eating, its a lot more :smile:
Original post by SuperS
Surely if their victims are muslims this is enough evidence that ISIS are unislamic?

The problem is that their ideology is largely based on claiming that other people aren't Muslims. The more Muslims going round claiming other people aren't Muslims, the more validity is given to their argument. They perceive the people they have killed to not be Muslim too.
Reply 43
It's not fair but it is understandable why a lot of people think that every Muslim is a terrorist.
No. You can, however, blame the specific Muslims which carried out the attacks.
Put it this way; ISIS, along with its mindless supporters, aren't Muslims. They go against virtually everything Islam stands for. Don't get me wrong, I'm not Muslim, and I'm certainly not entirely religious, nor am I an expert of being religious, but we need to put into context who is and who is not a Muslim. Go ask an Imam (a Muslim equivalent of a vicar) if they consider ISIS a Muslim organisation, and (hopefully) they will say 'no'. So, NO! It is NOT fair to blame Muslims for the terrorist attacks occurring globally at this point in time.
Original post by rhia9
Islam is a religion of peace. Is ISIS really "Islamic" or are they just using this as a mask and the real reason for the attacks is the urge to have power? Why do people say "Muslims were responsible for the 9/11 attacks, or the Paris bombings?" Were they really?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because, yes, some 'muslims' were responsible for 9/11 and the Paris attacks, just in the same way that some 'humans' were responsible for 9/11 and the Paris attacks. They happen to fall under the muslim umbrella because they identify as such, and to become a Muslim, well, all you really have to do is identify as such and state your creed (which is both a wonderful concept but also a dangerous one).

Do they represent all muslims? Of course not. Do they even represent a majority of muslims? No. Were all muslims responsible for the attacks? No. Were the people behind the attacks identifying as Muslim and doing so because they felt it was their religious duty? Yes, but you can be sure there's a great deal of politics involved in it too.

Is this an issue the muslim community needs to address? Yes, but then so do those of the respective countries involved. What shocked me most about the Paris attacks was that the perpetrators were French and Belgian citizens - it's thus also an issue for all those in those countries to help make sure vulnerable youths don't fall prey to extremism - just as it is for Islamic communities.

You're right Islam should be and is in fact a religion of peace. The Qu'ran has many peaceful verses. It also has quite bloody verses too - but then again, so do many other religions. There needs to be a clear emphasis on the peaceful verses in muslim communities (like there already are), and more work needs to be done by all (muslims and non alike) to separate the likes of ISIL and, though this may sound controversial, most of Sharia law, from the perceptions people have of 'mainstream' Islam, as the more Islamophobia and division there is, the more vulnerable people will flock to extremism.
(edited 7 years ago)
I stopped reading after your first sentence.
Original post by Adamski191
Put it this way; ISIS, along with its mindless supporters, aren't Muslims. They go against virtually everything Islam stands for. Don't get me wrong, I'm not Muslim, and I'm certainly not entirely religious, nor am I an expert of being religious, but we need to put into context who is and who is not a Muslim. Go ask an Imam (a Muslim equivalent of a vicar) if they consider ISIS a Muslim organisation, and (hopefully) they will say 'no'. So, NO! It is NOT fair to blame Muslims for the terrorist attacks occurring globally at this point in time.

Unfortunately, to be a muslim, you simply have to 'want' to be a muslim. There's no true fancy conversion ritual. It's both a very empowering but thus also dangerous concept. So it's not quite as clear cut as saying they're not muslim, because they believe that they are and they do use the Qu'ran.

Are they perverting Islam for their own sick goals though? Definitely. Should we consider them muslim and put them in the same category as normal muslims you see in day to day life? No - not in a million years. But those extremists do consider themselves muslim, the people who join them are often vulnerable youths, often from muslim communities - so this is an issue we have to address, because it's worrying.

But agreed - blaming all muslims for the terrorist attacks is madness. They are completely innocent, it's just a bunch of madmen, either brainwashed or political inclined who have twisted a religion to gather more power.
Reply 49
I don't understand how some people can be so small minded. Muslims should take the blame for the actions of disgusting terrorists just because they wish to call themselves Muslims? Really?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by tamanna___
Even if they started out as fasting, killing and their evil intentions break their fast, also they miss prayers whilst attacking - also breaks fast, numerous things they do will break their fast, so even if they are fasting, they're not, fasting is not just not eating, its a lot more :smile:

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kutta
Nope..

Is it fair to blame "white" people for slavery?
is it fair to blame Christians for the KKK?
is it fair to blame Christians for Breivik?
Is it fair to blame Christians for the Lords Resistance Army?
Is it fair to blame Christians for the Westboro Baptist Church?
Is it fair to blame Sikhs for Flight 182?
Is it fair to blame Jews for the actions of the state of Israel?
is it fair to blame Indians/Hindus for the actions of Hindu extremists in India?
Is it fair to blame Buddhists for Wirathu (aka the Burmese Bin Laden)?
is it fair to blame white people for the destructing of ancient civilisations such the Indians?
is it fair to blame Christians for Hitler and Nazi's?
is it fair to blame the Chinese for Chairman Mao?
is it fair to blame normal everyday Americans for the atomic bomb attacks which still effects peoples lives today?
is it fair to blame us Brits for the drone strikes which kill innocent people?
Is it fair to blame Muslims for ISIS?

you get the picture....

Though I completely agree with the sentiment, I must be picky about this otherwise someone who is against your argument (which I am not) might be instead. When you mention Hitler and the Nazis - these openly persecuted Christianity as their campaign carried on, so to prove your point you might want to change that.
Reply 52
So much denial. The Muslims believe that they were here to make Islam a world order. They want to come here and take our country and enact Sharia law. Hopefully you understand that law. Islam is a cancer that needs to be eradicated.
Original post by rhia9
Islam is a religion of peace. Is ISIS really "Islamic" or are they just using this as a mask and the real reason for the attacks is the urge to have power? Why do people say "Muslims were responsible for the 9/11 attacks, or the Paris bombings?" Were they really?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the individuals in question who committed the acts of terror were muslims, then yes, it is fair to say that some muslims were responsible for the terror attacks
Original post by rhia9
I don't understand how some people can be so small minded. Muslims should take the blame for the actions of disgusting terrorists just because they wish to call themselves Muslims? Really?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who's saying all Muslims are responsible for the attacks?

It's seems as if you're choosing to be blind and desperately trying to deny the fact that some Muslims DO commit terrorist attacks, whether you like it or not. And these individuals can cherry pick the violent bits of scripture to justify their actions. You have yet to present a cogent argument that these individuals aren't Muslim despite them claiming they are.
Islamic scripture most certainly influences violence.

Haha yay! Got my point across for once ! :wink:
[QUOTE="animus1;66264693"]Multiple attacks in Saudi today...
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/multiple-bombings-saudi-arabia-medina-us-site/[/QUOTE]

yes, al aqsa mosque was attacked a few months ago also,

in this case saudi governent had made the statement the suicide bomber was a british muslim
Original post by SuperS
not really - muslims acting under some sort of islamist doctrine or another have killed other muslims since the inception of islam- indeed the riddah wars led by mohammeds companions the casualties were pretty much all muslims

Original post by SuperS

When you start to blame the ideology and not the group, you give them exactly what they want. They want to create divisions and hatred amongst us. When you blame the ideology - you blame the very way of life which the peaceful ramadan-observing, 5-times-a-day-praying muslims who are being slaughtered lived their lives by.
there has already been a division created using the doctrine of 'beleiver and kuffar' I think that ship has sailed. this is is whats causing the attrocities you mention noone can ignore the carnage that is being caused globally under the banners of islamist doctrine- and the inaction of islamic world to tackle this ideology.

Original post by SuperS

Similarly, if you blame the ideology, you alienate those muslims who are actively campaigning against terror.
well some say that rather campaigning under the banner of "this is nothing to do with us' they should direct efforts toward the campaign of " ok its a problem within our society -but we as islamic community will sort out our own problems"

Original post by SuperS

So let's just do the smart thing and agree that ISIS is unislamic and be each other's shield, a reasonable request if ever there was one.
as if that would solve anything. the islamic worlds solution to Islamic state was to call them Daesh instead and pretend they werent anything to do with islam.
Reply 59
Original post by TercioOfParma
Not all of them. Blame the Muslims who did it.

However, there are certain regressive Islamic ideas which need to be openly debated.

I would not blame Muslims itself but the ideology of Islam. Violence, genocide and pedopfilia is codified in the teaching of the criminal Muhamed. Waffa Sultan, a prominent american psychiatrist and former Muslim said a person needs to be mentaly ill to literary believe in Islam. That is why we need to firstly ban muslim immigration and secondly deradicalise thoose muslims who already lived before the ban. That will be done by enforing collective guit, like they did on Germans after WW2 and teach them in schools all the flaws from the Quran and nastiness various muslims comiteed in history

Latest

Trending

Trending