The Student Room Group

Brother called me a 'low life teacher'

Me and my brother got in to an argument and he wound me up by calling me a low life teacher. This really got to me - I studied something I thoroughly enjoyed at university but I was unsure what to go in to afterwards and fell in to teaching. I've always felt like I just settled for something as there's nothing else out there that appeals to me. His comment upset me for this reason as I feel perhaps I'm not reaching my full potential... Should I be offended?
Just ignore him
Nope. Continue doing what you enjoy and you'll become better at it. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Me and my brother got in to an argument and he wound me up by calling me a low life teacher. This really got to me - I studied something I thoroughly enjoyed at university but I was unsure what to go in to afterwards and fell in to teaching. I've always felt like I just settled for something as there's nothing else out there that appeals to me. His comment upset me for this reason as I feel perhaps I'm not reaching my full potential... Should I be offended?

"Haters gonna hate, hate, hate ah shake it off ah shake it off oooh". If you love what your doing don't bother with what he said just do what you love! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
If you feel like you've settled then maybe he is correct and you should consider stretching yourself more.
It's clearly something just said in anger, just ignore it and carry on. He probably didn't mean it.
Reply 6
:spank:

Your brother is being an ass. But on the other hand, if his comments got to you that might suggest you agree with him on some level. And if that's the case, there's nothing wrong with pursuing the possibility of using your degree in a more active way. Take a look around at careers within your field, do a little research, see if you come across anything that fills that gap.

What does your brother work as then?
Reply 9
Original post by Shazen
What does your brother work as then?

He has his own business which is doing very well. He did not finish university but he has worked really hard, harder than I ever could, to get to where he is now
make him sit on the naughty step.
He has his own business which is doing very well. He did not finish university but he has worked really hard, harder than I ever could, to get to where he is now

Yes but businesses are a flight risk and you secured your future with a degree which your brother does not have. If his business fails then what would he do? He has no degree. Meanwhile, you could find another job when he cannot.
Original post by Shazen
Yes but businesses are a flight risk and you secured your future with a degree which your brother does not have. If his business fails then what would he do? He has no degree. Meanwhile, you could find another job when he cannot.

You're 100% correct and this is something that he often worries about. I feel he was perhaps projecting his insecurities on to me
You're 100% correct and this is something that he often worries about. I feel he was perhaps projecting his insecurities on to me

Yeah he was in a way, or it was purely jealousy that your more of an academic and your brighter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending