The Student Room Group

Applying for Languages and Science at different Unis

Hello,

I'm considering applying for languages at Cambridge, but science at my 4 other choices. How is it possible to write a personal statement to cover both options? Is it possible to apply for Cambridge separately through separate statements?

Thanks
Cambridge allow you a short extra PS, but that is normally because their courses are often a bit different to the courses at other unis. They won't be expecting a short PS for a completely different area, and they will be able to see your main PS. You need to decide to either apply for languages everywhere, or science everywhere
Original post by Field_H
Hello,

I'm considering applying for languages at Cambridge, but science at my 4 other choices. How is it possible to write a personal statement to cover both options? Is it possible to apply for Cambridge separately through separate statements?

Thanks

This is a very bad idea. If you do this, their first impression of you will be of someone who hasn't done enough research to decide what course they want to do, and that is not the kind of person anybody will want to accept onto their course. You really need to decide to go for languages or science.

Have you considered linguistics?
Original post by Field_H
Hello,

Thanks

No, this wouldn't be possible as the courses are too different. It sounds like you haven't made up your mind, and you should really think about what course you really want to do, and if it's worth applying to Cambridge. Make sure you love your chosen subject.

On the other hand, a number of universities offer joint degrees in science and languages - https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=K4t7V4iQFMnU8gfY2oHAAQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=science+and+language+degrees - have a look at these search results. I know that there was someone doing Genetics and Chinese at Manchester who was on University Challenge a few years ago, so it's definitely possible to combine the two.

There's also this course at Oxford, which may interest you! https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/psychology-philosophy-and-linguistics?wssl=1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending