The Student Room Group

Which Science????

Hi I will be starting my U6 year in september which means UCAS begins..,..................the only problem is I have no idea what i want to study.
(fyi my a-levels are biology chemistry physics and maths). I know I want to do something that involves lab work so I'm wondering should I just do pure chemistry or a strand of chemistry like pharmacology or forensics or should i do something more open like natural science.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

:biggrin: Kate :biggrin:
Reply 1
Biology also has a tonne of lab work involved, if you want to go down that route too. I would advise reading some books around a bunch of science subjects, and one of them is bound to leap off the page at you.

Alternatively, you can look through a list of researchers and see whose job you envy the most.

Brilliant thing about research and lab work is that you can literally do whatever you want. Flick through a couple of science and technology magazines, see which pages captivate you the most, and work towards that career :smile:

As far as suggestions go, if I could have chosen another degree, it would have been in Neuroscience or Biotechnology.
Original post by Another

Brilliant thing about research and lab work is that you can literally do whatever you want. Flick through a couple of science and technology magazines, see which pages captivate you the most, and work towards that career :smile:

Thank you..that sounds like great advice :smile:
What degree did you do then :P
Reply 3
Original post by Kate Simmonds
Hi I will be starting my U6 year in september which means UCAS begins..,..................the only problem is I have no idea what i want to study.
(fyi my a-levels are biology chemistry physics and maths). I know I want to do something that involves lab work so I'm wondering should I just do pure chemistry or a strand of chemistry like pharmacology or forensics or should i do something more open like natural science.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

:biggrin: Kate :biggrin:

I think the advice of Another is really good. I think it's important to really understand which roads the different degrees would lead you down. There is a lot more to any of the sciences than just the lab work and so you would need to enjoy the whole subject.
Reply 4
Original post by Kate Simmonds
Thank you..that sounds like great advice :smile:
What degree did you do then :P

Dentistry - but I start a module in Craniofacial development next term. I'm hoping a full year of a research based course is enough to keep my inner child happy, before I go back to drilling teeth :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending