The Student Room Group

Health and social btec

How do I know if the h&sc extended diploma I’m starting in September has science modules because I need them to get into uni so I’m panicking slightly
Original post by N478
How do I know if the h&sc extended diploma I’m starting in September has science modules because I need them to get into uni so I’m panicking slightly

1. Establish exactly what the official full name of the qualification is, including the exam body which provided is. For example, you're probably talking about Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care, but it could be something else.

2. Download the specification and establish which units are mandatory and which are optional. For example, the specification for the above can be downloaded from here and lists the mandatory units as:

1 Human Lifespan Development
2 Working in Health and Social Care
3 Anatomy and Physiology for Health and Social Care
4 Enquiries into Current Research in Health and Social Care
5 Meeting Individual Care and Support Needs
6 Work Experience in Health and Social Care
7 Principles of Safe Practice in Health and Social Care
8 Promoting Public Health

3. Look through the units to see which are science units (for example 15 Microbiology for Health Science, 22 Genetics, 23 Biomedical Science or 24 Biochemistry for Health).

4. If there are optional science units (as there are in this case), contact the school / college which will be teaching you to establish whether or not they include those units. (Schools / colleges often pick which units they teach, rather than students teaching which units they learn.)

Note that there are sometimes "variants" of a course. For example, the above course also has a variant called "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care (Health Studies)". This may impact the optional units which are available.

If you're not sure whether a particular unit counts as a "science" unit, then contact the admissions team at which ever university said they wanted you to have done such units and ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending