The Student Room Group

BA (Honours) Environmental Studies or BSc (Honours) Environmental Science?

I am struggling to decide which option I should take. This will be my second degree, which I will likely be studying with the open university.

I have a background in business studies and I assumed that there would be more about economics/politics within the environmental studies degree but it doesn't look that way. I also cannot find Environmental studies as a degree at any other university, which puts me off a little bit and I wonder if it may not be a worthwhile degree?

I don't have any science qualifications at level 3 but I plan to do an A Level in biology at the same time. Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by friedeggs
I am struggling to decide which option I should take. This will be my second degree, which I will likely be studying with the open university.

I have a background in business studies and I assumed that there would be more about economics/politics within the environmental studies degree but it doesn't look that way. I also cannot find Environmental studies as a degree at any other university, which puts me off a little bit and I wonder if it may not be a worthwhile degree?

I don't have any science qualifications at level 3 but I plan to do an A Level in biology at the same time. Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

id say it ultimately depends on which you think you’d like most. i know that environmental studies focuses more on human interaction with the environment and stuff like the social, political etc side of things. whereas environmental science obvs contains a lot of the science aspects of things so ecology, marine biology, chemistry etc.
Reply 2
Original post by ab33k
id say it ultimately depends on which you think you’d like most. i know that environmental studies focuses more on human interaction with the environment and stuff like the social, political etc side of things. whereas environmental science obvs contains a lot of the science aspects of things so ecology, marine biology, chemistry etc.

Environmental Studies would probably make more sense given that I don't have any science A Levels. However I am just concerned that the degree isn't available at any other university and maybe its a week subject to study.
Reply 3
Original post by friedeggs
Environmental Studies would probably make more sense given that I don't have any science A Levels. However I am just concerned that the degree isn't available at any other university and maybe its a week subject to study.

I don’t think science A levels are a requirement at some unis, but obviously a science background may be helpful. At the uni I have applied to do Environmental Science, their requirements state an A Level in Geography is essential.

Perhaps check the modules of the environmental science course since some unis offer a mix of optional geography and science ones so then you could always choose the geography ones if you’re not sure abt doing the science ones. Although, there will be some science compulsory modules ofc.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4
Thanks. They do 'Geography and Environmental Science' at Open Uni, which looks like it might be better for me as it only has 2 science based modules. I am going to swerve the idea of Environmental Studies as I think the Science degree I will have better career prospects.

Original post by ab33k
I don’t think science A levels are a requirement at some unis, but obviously a science background may be helpful. At the uni I have applied to do Environmental Science, their requirements had just stated an A Level in Geography is essential.

Perhaps check the modules of the environmental science course since some unis offer a mix of optional geography and science ones so then you could always use the geography ones if you’re not sure abt doing the science ones. Although, there will be some science compulsory modules ofc.
There generally aren't any entry requirements to study with the OU, so go where your heart takes you!

Hope this helps.

Rachel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending