The Student Room Group

Revision techniques

I have my final GCSEs next year and I know that if I don't think of a way to revise now I won't at all. Does anyone the best techniques for each subject?
Original post by Jack_Tomlin
I have my final GCSEs next year and I know that if I don't think of a way to revise now I won't at all. Does anyone the best techniques for each subject?

Flash cards and test yourself daily. Stick notes around the house and you have to revise when youre walking around the house all the time. Find songs online. PRACTISE A LOT OF PAST QUESTIONS OR JUST ANY QUESTIONS TO DO WITH THE TOPIC.
Reply 2
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Flash cards and test yourself daily. Stick notes around the house and you have to revise when youre walking around the house all the time. Find songs online. PRACTISE A LOT OF PAST QUESTIONS OR JUST ANY QUESTIONS TO DO WITH THE
TOPIC.

Thanks what about for maths?
Thanks what about for maths?

Well I'd say make some revision cards for formulae you need to know but that's about it. The rest you just need to practise as much as you can, for example I have this book full of maths questions and I just practise by doing all the questions. Also do other exam board questions as well as your own!
Flash cards with all the information you need to learn as compact as possible so you're not learning full on sentences etc.

Revision guides. If you have your own (especially for science) highlight all the relevant words in the sentences, paragraphs. Use sticky notes to put over a chunk of writing and write on the sticky note whatever you covered in your own words and keep it pretty small.

Past papers for subjects like maths, science
Reply 5
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Well I'd say make some revision cards for formulae you need to know but that's about it. The rest you just need to practise as much as you can, for example I have this book full of maths questions and I just practise by doing all the questions. Also do other exam board questions as well as your own!

Ok and how often should I be looking at the cards? And what book do you use? Have you done your exams?
Ok and how often should I be looking at the cards? And what book do you use? Have you done your exams?

Everyday.
Get home, and look at the cards. Make one pile as you start, then when you get to a card you don't know put it in a separate pile to the ones you know. Then you know what cards you need to pay more attention to. I suggest you make the cards now because as soon as the school days start you'll be too busy to sit and make the cards, although that depends on how pretty you want them to look etc.
Maths and science- past papers are the best way to revise as questions are repeated. If you do AQA science read the specification and add your own notes on sections that are not detailed enough. Free science lessons for AQA is really helpful to explain mathematical calculations like titration calculations, bond energies and empirical formulae.

English- For language just watch videos on youtube. Mr Bruff for AQA and Mr Salles for OCR are really good. If you are already good at english, these will guarantee A/A*. I watched these the night before the exam and am confident I achieved an A*.
Not sure about lit, I winged it. Just make sure you read the books- not like me!

Essay based subjects do past papers to practice exam technique e.g.history. Past papers are a must for language for reading and listening papers- in yr 11 your teachers should do plenty of these in class. Flashcards for subjects where you need to learn a lot of key terms are good, such as computing and business studies. Also for languages.

Best of luck for next year and I hope you find this helpful!:biggrin:

I use a really old GCSE book I don't think its available anymore.

Just get a work book for maths.
And yeah I've finished my exams.

Quick Reply

Latest