The Student Room Group

gcse help

hi , as igcse exams are starting after 2 months i known it's time to start revising but i m kind of behind the schedule but subjects like maths and chemistry i didn't even start doing past papers even i didn't finished some of the major topics , so i really needs some help tips or methods i can follow
For maths: best way to revise is practice questions, PMT is a godsend. maths is basically the same across exam boards, so if you want more questions on a specific topic, it shouldn't matter which exam board option you choose. if you find a question particularly hard (like you've spent 20 mins on a 6 marker), use the answer and work backwards so that you know the method inside out, method marks are more beneficial than answer marks.

Chemistry: You're not really gonna get anywhere unless you fully understand the content. Best way to know what you need dire help with is blurting. Look at your text book, choose a chapter/subchapter and word vomit everything you know, then use the text book and see if what you wrote was relevant, irrelevant or had chemical errors (fundamental misunderstandings). Make relevant corrections/notes and try again on a fresh page. After each subchapter do one or two questions on the topic and when you get to the end of a whole chapter find summary questions (I used to use the ones at the end of my AQA textbook). When it comes to sciences the mark schemes vary dependant of key terminology so make sure the questions you are using are from your exam board. If the textbook really isn't working for you, YouTube channels like Cognito or FreeScienceLessons are really helpful, but personally I find that they are more useful as a general overview to consolidate your knowledge, rather than something to teach you content. If that really doesn't work use sites like Seneca to help with the knowledge, however, it's not so good with exam questions (that's something you'll have to pay for, but if you have the financial means, it can create mini mock tests!)

But most importantly make sure not to burn yourself out, over-stressing will only decrease your ability to retain information, take breaks in between revision sessions (for ever two hours of revision I give myself a 20-30 min break to breathe, get some food/drinks or watch an episode of a sit-com or something) It helps you refocus.

I hope this helped! good luck x
Original post by mill-_-ly--
hi , as igcse exams are starting after 2 months i known it's time to start revising but i m kind of behind the schedule but subjects like maths and chemistry i didn't even start doing past papers even i didn't finished some of the major topics , so i really needs some help tips or methods i can follow
cognito, seneca learning, physics and maths tutor, practice questions, save my exams, maths genie
Reply 3
Original post by erin11
cognito, seneca learning, physics and maths tutor, practice questions, save my exams, maths genie
thanks for your suggestion
Hi @mill-_-ly--,

Although two months is a tight timeframe, it's very possible to still achieve high grades if you use your time wisely.

Some tips I have for you are:

Use the specification points: I used this to navigate my revision sessions and like a checklist. I went through the subjects in chronological order and ticked them off as I progressed. The spec points made sure I covered exactly everything I had to know for the exam. Every definition, diagram, equation, mechanism etc...

Create a revision timetable: This was exceptionally useful at keeping me on track and distribute my time toward my subjects after school. In the timetable I would also write down which topics/subjects from the spec points I wanted to cover during that time.

Pomodoro technique: I've noticed that when I revised for long hours with infrequent breaks caused me to burnout, causes mental fatigue and disrupts my revision as a whole. I implemented the pomodoro technique as a healthy way to revise without feeling burnt out- giving me breaks in between to rest and lets my brain refocus back to revision when it's time.

Blurting: In my opinion, a very underrated technique is the blurting technique (you can read more about it here: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl + many other revision techniques) and I've found that blurting helped me retain the content for much longer and much easier.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 5
Original post by elinasaadi31
For maths: best way to revise is practice questions, PMT is a godsend. maths is basically the same across exam boards, so if you want more questions on a specific topic, it shouldn't matter which exam board option you choose. if you find a question particularly hard (like you've spent 20 mins on a 6 marker), use the answer and work backwards so that you know the method inside out, method marks are more beneficial than answer marks.
Chemistry: You're not really gonna get anywhere unless you fully understand the content. Best way to know what you need dire help with is blurting. Look at your text book, choose a chapter/subchapter and word vomit everything you know, then use the text book and see if what you wrote was relevant, irrelevant or had chemical errors (fundamental misunderstandings). Make relevant corrections/notes and try again on a fresh page. After each subchapter do one or two questions on the topic and when you get to the end of a whole chapter find summary questions (I used to use the ones at the end of my AQA textbook). When it comes to sciences the mark schemes vary dependant of key terminology so make sure the questions you are using are from your exam board. If the textbook really isn't working for you, YouTube channels like Cognito or FreeScienceLessons are really helpful, but personally I find that they are more useful as a general overview to consolidate your knowledge, rather than something to teach you content. If that really doesn't work use sites like Seneca to help with the knowledge, however, it's not so good with exam questions (that's something you'll have to pay for, but if you have the financial means, it can create mini mock tests!)
But most importantly make sure not to burn yourself out, over-stressing will only decrease your ability to retain information, take breaks in between revision sessions (for ever two hours of revision I give myself a 20-30 min break to breathe, get some food/drinks or watch an episode of a sit-com or something) It helps you refocus.
I hope this helped! good luck x
thanks for the help
Reply 6
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @mill-_-ly--,
Although two months is a tight timeframe, it's very possible to still achieve high grades if you use your time wisely.
Some tips I have for you are:

Use the specification points: I used this to navigate my revision sessions and like a checklist. I went through the subjects in chronological order and ticked them off as I progressed. The spec points made sure I covered exactly everything I had to know for the exam. Every definition, diagram, equation, mechanism etc...

Create a revision timetable: This was exceptionally useful at keeping me on track and distribute my time toward my subjects after school. In the timetable I would also write down which topics/subjects from the spec points I wanted to cover during that time.

Pomodoro technique: I've noticed that when I revised for long hours with infrequent breaks caused me to burnout, causes mental fatigue and disrupts my revision as a whole. I implemented the pomodoro technique as a healthy way to revise without feeling burnt out- giving me breaks in between to rest and lets my brain refocus back to revision when it's time.

Blurting: In my opinion, a very underrated technique is the blurting technique (you can read more about it here: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl + many other revision techniques) and I've found that blurting helped me retain the content for much longer and much easier.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
thanks for the techniques and timetable
Hi,
What grades have you got at the moment?
Because my grades is a nightmare so I’ll have to try my best in year 10 becuase there no point of me trying to keep my grade up in year 9.
You don’t have to tell your grades, but lmk ur grades!
Try as many different strategies - such as flashcards, past papers, recall, highlighting and reading notes etc. - until you find the ones which are best for you, and have a goal in mind every time you study so time goes by faster, it makes it so much easier to study!
Reply 9
Original post by KitCat13
Try as many different strategies - such as flashcards, past papers, recall, highlighting and reading notes etc. - until you find the ones which are best for you, and have a goal in mind every time you study so time goes by faster, it makes it so much easier to study!
thanks
hey , @Smartmohmaedx
i think my mock grades are worst and after 2 months i have to sit for the igcse and i don't known what i m gonna get physics -7 computer science - 6 english -5 chemistry-2 ( which means i failed) maths - 2 ( also failed) geography-7
i hope the best for you . hopefully your goona do great in igcse
(edited 1 month ago)
hey , @Smartmohmaedx
i think my mock grades are worst and after 2 months i have to sit for the igcse and i don't known what i m gonna get physics -7 computer science - 6 english -5 chemistry-2 ( which means i failed) maths - 2 ( also failed) geography-7
i hope the best for you . hopefully your goona do great in igcse
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest