The Student Room Group

Thinking of converting to Law and need advice!

I've just graduated from a Russell Group university with a 1st in Modern Languages. I've always been a bit unsure of what I actually want to do career-wise, but I've recently been thinking that a legal career could suit me well.

I realise that July is probably a bit late in the day to start applying for things (??). I see that quite a few training contract applications are open until July 31st, but is this what I should be focussing on if I want to do the GDL as soon as possible? Do people normally apply to training contracts and then apply for a conversion course when (if!) they've secured funding?

I have a very good academic record and graduated with a high 1st, but don't have much legal experience except a week during secondary school. Is this likely to be a massive stumbling block?

Can anyone offer me some advice? At this point I think it's probably most likely that I'll spend a year doing something else and then embark on this later, but I would like to get the ball rolling this year if possible! Any advice? :smile:
Original post by Dusty12
I've just graduated from a Russell Group university with a 1st in Modern Languages. I've always been a bit unsure of what I actually want to do career-wise, but I've recently been thinking that a legal career could suit me well.

I realise that July is probably a bit late in the day to start applying for things (??). I see that quite a few training contract applications are open until July 31st, but is this what I should be focussing on if I want to do the GDL as soon as possible? Do people normally apply to training contracts and then apply for a conversion course when (if!) they've secured funding?

I have a very good academic record and graduated with a high 1st, but don't have much legal experience except a week during secondary school. Is this likely to be a massive stumbling block?

Can anyone offer me some advice? At this point I think it's probably most likely that I'll spend a year doing something else and then embark on this later, but I would like to get the ball rolling this year if possible! Any advice? :smile:

I think you need to do a law conversion for 1 year? (full time)
Original post by Dusty12

Lots of law firms run all year round recruitment.

If you wnat to pay for the GDL yourself then do so and if you get a TC, then they may pick up the tab.

Alternatively get the TC offer, get them to pay and start on the next available course.

When you apply you have to persuade them of your interest in being a lawyer and why you want to work for them. That will be more challenging if you know relatively little about the profession. Might not be fatal, but it would be better if you had some.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Lots of law firms run all year round recruitment.

If you wnat to pay for the GDL yourself then do so and if you get a TC, then they may pick up the tab.

Alternatively get the TC offer, get them to pay and start on the next available course.

When you apply you have to persuade them of your interest in being a lawyer and why you want to work for them. That will be more challenging if you know relatively little about the profession. Might not be fatal, but it would be better if you had some.

Thank you! Should I be applying for 2018-start TCs (which most seem to be?) or 2019?
Original post by Dusty12
Thank you! Should I be applying for 2018-start TCs (which most seem to be?) or 2019?

I would contact the firm and see whats available. they will probably review you for the next practical year. There are also spirng starts.

If you are too late for 2018 or its too early just apply for the next time. You would have more experience then and know more of what you are doing, whereas you arent on top of it at the moment. its your choice.

You will also need to research where you want to apply. Gl anyway.
Reply 5
I think you'd struggle to gain a TC at a firm that would fund your post grads with no legal work experience. If a firms paying for you, they're essentially taking a bit of a gamble that you'll make it through your studies and still want to train at the end so to convince them of that, you need to show drive, passion and commitment.

If I were you, I wouldn't apply for the 2018 intake. I'd take some time to explore the legal world first. Try to gain some experience in a law firm, possibly even look at vac schemes, see if you can get involved in any pro bono or charity work and I'd really recommend attending networking events and conferences. Lawcareers.net run two career conferences every year that are fantastic. The public law project are having their northern conference this Thursday in Manchester. It's a great way of showing interest and interacting with firms.

I'd also recommend applying to open days at law firms. This way you can network with them before applying and also narrow down what kind of firms you want to apply to.

You may also need to consider how to fund your GDL/LPC if you're wanting to start within the next year or so. Have a look at post grad loans and how they work to consider whether it's really what you want to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Do you have any commercial work experience? With your marks, I wouldn't be surprised if you got an interview at Slaughters with a good CV/well informed cover letter.
You can still apply to BPP or other law colleges but you're probably too late to apply for any scholarships.
I would say, this sounds a bit brutal, but don't just do law because you don't know what else to do.

And yes, get some experience or other vol work and then think about it.

Explore more!

It's competitive to get into also. Do more research

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending