The Student Room Group

Is size 8/10 chubby for someone who is 5"3?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Just-ruby
Hi, size 8/10 isn't chubby at all! At your age, especially, I would be expecting you to no longer be a size 6! I am an inch taller than you and my sizing is very strange. For "hip" jeans, I am a size 8 because I have wide hips, but for high-waisted jeans I'm a size 6. Similarly with different types of skirts. It really doesn't matter. However, I would encourage you to deal with any issues you have surrounding your size (which seems perfectly normal to me!) before you start uni, because you don't want any ongoing worries like that hanging over you when uni starts to get high-pressured. Remember, when you start uni, that most of the other people there will be younger than you, so it would be natural for them to be slighter, and I would not consider it likely that they are all size 6! I hope you can feel more confident about it, don't try to lose lots of weight, if you fret about these kinds of things, maybe consider helping yourself become more confident in whatever shaped body you have. I hate to repeat a cliche, but it really doesn't matter what you look like (especially at uni) if you are kind, and (especially at uni) intelligent and clever. :smile:

Hi, thank you, I'm glad you don't think so. :smile: Do you think so? How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Yeah, I'm a size 8 for both tops and bottoms normally I think. I say I think because since I've gained weight I haven't bought many new clothes. I tried on some a few weeks ago but didn't buy anything cause I didn't feel anything looked right. This is obviously part of my problem because the clothes that I've got (mostly size 6s with a few small size 8s) are now too small and so I really need to get some new ones but I feel like nothing looks flattering when I try things on and also I stupidly don't want to buy bigger sizes if you know what I mean. Like, I've never bought a size 10 before but I think I might need to now sometimes although I think I'm most often a size 8 and I kind of feel like I shouldn't be that size if that makes sense. The last time I went clothes shopping I even discounted some clothes that I would previously have liked from even trying on cause I thought I wasn't skinny enough to look good in it anymore so I just feel like crap about it just now basically.

Yes, I do agree that I should sort it out before uni. Presumably you read my last post to SophieSmall so I don't need to repeat anything I said in it? I know! That's what worries me as well: that because the other girls will be younger they're even more likely to be thinner! The thing is I look young for my age and I'm not planning to tell anyone my age so I'll just look the same age as everyone else so if most girls are really thin... That's really the problem. Do you have any advice on how to be more confident and happy with the body shape I have? Right now I'm just finding it so difficult especially with the comments on here as well now cause now when I go out I think if several people on here have called me fat then what's everyone else thinking. I see what you mean and hopefully that will be fine. Those are the things I usually care about the most. I just worry about both other girls judging me and also what guys think because I do want to be able to get into a relationship at uni if possible.
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
So I'm a *few* years younger than you, a little bit younger than you, but once you reach past about 13, height and BMI become more important than age!

I feel like nothing looks flattering when I try things on and also I stupidly don't want to buy bigger sizes if you know what I mean.
I totally understand - occasionally I feel embarrassed about buying clothes that are bigger - even though sometimes I do want to buy clothes lots of size bigger (I've bought size 12 jumpers before now - sooo cozy!). If you feel like you're being judged, honestly you are not! Some of my friends work in clothes shops and the first thing they've told me is that they don't really notice who is buying the clothes, or what clothes they are buying!

I kind of feel like I shouldn't be that size if that makes sense.
Honestly, your size right now is really healthy, natural and normal. There's nothing to be ashamed of about it!

I even discounted some clothes that I would previously have liked cause I thought I wasn't skinny enough to look good in it anymore.
I've had this, honestly, and I think most people have. One of my friends bought a size 4 skirt, and I really liked it, so I bought a size 8 (in a different colour so we wouldn't have exactly the same!) and was worried it wouldn't look good on me.
And, even if I say so myself, I looked great! You can always look good in everything, however short, tall, skinny, or not skinny, you are! You just need to feel confidence. I bought a long skirt recently - I have always been not-so-keen on long things because I always thought I looked silly in them because I was short, but really, it also looked fine, because I plucked up the courage to go out and it felt great! Once you have the confidence, you'll look fab in anything!

what worries me as well: that because the other girls will be younger they're even more likely to be thinner!
I know how you must be feeling, but seriously, please don't! Even if you look young for your age, if you've got into uni and you're doing a course you enjoy, no one really cares what you look like. My sister goes to a very prestigious uni, and she says that although people do turn up looking smart, there are very few really skinny people there because they're focusing on their essays and dissertations rather than how they look, and everyone respects each-other however they look because they all know how hard they've worked to get there. Just keep remembering that everyone is a different person, has different backgrounds, habits, priorities and worries, so don't fret about it. Remember that they are a different age!!! It doesn't matter if they are thinner than you, as you are aware, being really skinny isn't always healthy! If you do fret about it, it is likely to detract from your degree. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry about it - don't worry if you look the same age or are a different size, you are beautiful and clever anyway, so who cares what they look like?

. Do you have any advice on how to be more confident and happy with the body shape I have?
I had loads of inseccuritites when I was twelve and thirteen, and still do occaissionally go through periods of hating myself and my body (which I recognise everyone goes through at some points in their lives, especially women in a culture where we are constantly told size 0 is beautiful). However, things that I have done and found successful to help me feel better about myself are:
=> start complimenting yourself - sounds weird but it does help
=> start noticing things about yourself that you like
=> start believing compliments you get from other people - it takes time, but stop deconstruction what they might mean in your head and just realise that they actually do like that thing about you
=> Realise that you are not judging other people, and seeing as you aren't judging them, they probably aren't judging you.
=> start complimenting other people
=> compliment yourself and other people on things OTHER than appearance - eg "I think you're really kind" or "you're so fast thinking" or "wow, I'm really good at cheering people up!"
=> do something different with your hair - whether this be a haircut, or dying it, or even just curling it or doing a different hairstyle. It sounds weird - but I and a few of my friend have had our hair cut (some have had a pixie cut, others have had bobs, I went for just above my shoulders) and it really makes you stand tall and feel different!

I think if several people on here have called me fat then what's everyone else thinking.
Well, several people are unkind, inconsiderate, unhelpful, wrong, and very misguided. Most people on here have been concerned about your wellbeing. I have only been called fat, (except by myself and as a joke between me and my best friend) and that was by a teenage boy in a park when I was twelve and climbing a tree, and it really wrecked my life until I realised that it didn't matter. What most people will be thinking when they see you are "oh, there's a person", a few might think "oh, that's a pretty person" and once they get to know you they'll probably think "Oh, that's a really nice, clever, pretty person." . What other people think really doesn't matter, but they're probably thinking that you are really cool - both in appearance and other ways too!

I just worry about other girls judging me.
Don't. Really just don't. Three reasons. One, they might not be judging you. Two, if they are, they might be judging you fairly and thinking that you're another human being, with complex thought patterns and a nice figure. And three, it doesn't matter what they think, it's what you think and feel that matters.

Also what guys think because I do want to be able to get into a relationship at uni.
That's okay. But being thin doesn't make you attractive. Being size 8/10 doesn't make you unattractive. My friend in a relationship, has been for three months, she's the same age as you and a size 10, and her relationship is one of the most stable I've ever seen. Obviously, the first impression you give someone is important, but if you want a good relationship, it'll be based on a lot more than what you look like. That being said, it is important to highlight that size 8/10 is not unattractive (not that any size is actually unattractive but most people, who conform to society's opinions of attractiveness do not find size 8/10 attractive).

Finally, I feel I should say that when I say "a couple of years younger than you" I'm actually 15. However, I have learned a lot about body confidence and overcoming insecurities over the past few years, and I honestly hope all the stuff I've written should be helpful to you! Anyway, I really hope it has been. Good luck with all your endeavours. Please stay healthy, and awesome :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, I'm glad you think it sounds fine. So, would you date a girl that was my size and height then? Sorry for asking, it's just that I just don't know what to think now. I mean, on this thread, I've had responses ranging from saying that I'm underweight and asking if I have an eating disorder to saying that I'm borderline overweight so now I just don't know what to believe. You are probably right about not conforming to the sort of perfect stick thin image that woman are pressured to be; it's just easier said than done for me.

It's hard to answer those questions for definite because I haven't met you, weight size and height sits differently on different people, but I'm sure there's nothing wrong with you! Post a pic if you like! Lol. Stick with not conforming, just be you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is 5"3 in non retard units?
Original post by asinghj

I had to google it, 160cm

Original post by patchdoyle
I had to google it, 160cm

Lol thanks
I am nearly 21 and have put on weight since leaving school. When I was 18 I was a size 4/size 6, 6 and a half stone and had a 22 inch waist. Now I am wearing a mixture of size 6 and size 8 clothes which are getting too small so I'm probably a size 8/size 10 really. I'm about 8 stone and now have measurements of 36-27-34. I've had to take a few gap years due to illness so because of this I've not been able to exercise. I'm planning to go to uni in 2017 and I'm feeling a bit unhappy with my weight now. Any other girls of similar age and height, what size are you? Does that sound chubby or like I need to lose weight?

thats not even close to being chubby! :smile:
Original post by Just-ruby
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
So I'm a *few* years younger than you, a little bit younger than you, but once you reach past about 13, height and BMI become more important than age!

I feel like nothing looks flattering when I try things on and also I stupidly don't want to buy bigger sizes if you know what I mean.
I totally understand - occasionally I feel embarrassed about buying clothes that are bigger - even though sometimes I do want to buy clothes lots of size bigger (I've bought size 12 jumpers before now - sooo cozy!). If you feel like you're being judged, honestly you are not! Some of my friends work in clothes shops and the first thing they've told me is that they don't really notice who is buying the clothes, or what clothes they are buying!

I kind of feel like I shouldn't be that size if that makes sense.
Honestly, your size right now is really healthy, natural and normal. There's nothing to be ashamed of about it!

I even discounted some clothes that I would previously have liked cause I thought I wasn't skinny enough to look good in it anymore.
I've had this, honestly, and I think most people have. One of my friends bought a size 4 skirt, and I really liked it, so I bought a size 8 (in a different colour so we wouldn't have exactly the same!) and was worried it wouldn't look good on me.
And, even if I say so myself, I looked great! You can always look good in everything, however short, tall, skinny, or not skinny, you are! You just need to feel confidence. I bought a long skirt recently - I have always been not-so-keen on long things because I always thought I looked silly in them because I was short, but really, it also looked fine, because I plucked up the courage to go out and it felt great! Once you have the confidence, you'll look fab in anything!

what worries me as well: that because the other girls will be younger they're even more likely to be thinner!
I know how you must be feeling, but seriously, please don't! Even if you look young for your age, if you've got into uni and you're doing a course you enjoy, no one really cares what you look like. My sister goes to a very prestigious uni, and she says that although people do turn up looking smart, there are very few really skinny people there because they're focusing on their essays and dissertations rather than how they look, and everyone respects each-other however they look because they all know how hard they've worked to get there. Just keep remembering that everyone is a different person, has different backgrounds, habits, priorities and worries, so don't fret about it. Remember that they are a different age!!! It doesn't matter if they are thinner than you, as you are aware, being really skinny isn't always healthy! If you do fret about it, it is likely to detract from your degree. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry about it - don't worry if you look the same age or are a different size, you are beautiful and clever anyway, so who cares what they look like?

. Do you have any advice on how to be more confident and happy with the body shape I have?
I had loads of inseccuritites when I was twelve and thirteen, and still do occaissionally go through periods of hating myself and my body (which I recognise everyone goes through at some points in their lives, especially women in a culture where we are constantly told size 0 is beautiful). However, things that I have done and found successful to help me feel better about myself are:
=> start complimenting yourself - sounds weird but it does help
=> start noticing things about yourself that you like
=> start believing compliments you get from other people - it takes time, but stop deconstruction what they might mean in your head and just realise that they actually do like that thing about you
=> Realise that you are not judging other people, and seeing as you aren't judging them, they probably aren't judging you.
=> start complimenting other people
=> compliment yourself and other people on things OTHER than appearance - eg "I think you're really kind" or "you're so fast thinking" or "wow, I'm really good at cheering people up!"
=> do something different with your hair - whether this be a haircut, or dying it, or even just curling it or doing a different hairstyle. It sounds weird - but I and a few of my friend have had our hair cut (some have had a pixie cut, others have had bobs, I went for just above my shoulders) and it really makes you stand tall and feel different!

I think if several people on here have called me fat then what's everyone else thinking.
Well, several people are unkind, inconsiderate, unhelpful, wrong, and very misguided. Most people on here have been concerned about your wellbeing. I have only been called fat, (except by myself and as a joke between me and my best friend) and that was by a teenage boy in a park when I was twelve and climbing a tree, and it really wrecked my life until I realised that it didn't matter. What most people will be thinking when they see you are "oh, there's a person", a few might think "oh, that's a pretty person" and once they get to know you they'll probably think "Oh, that's a really nice, clever, pretty person." . What other people think really doesn't matter, but they're probably thinking that you are really cool - both in appearance and other ways too!

I just worry about other girls judging me.
Don't. Really just don't. Three reasons. One, they might not be judging you. Two, if they are, they might be judging you fairly and thinking that you're another human being, with complex thought patterns and a nice figure. And three, it doesn't matter what they think, it's what you think and feel that matters.

Also what guys think because I do want to be able to get into a relationship at uni.
That's okay. But being thin doesn't make you attractive. Being size 8/10 doesn't make you unattractive. My friend in a relationship, has been for three months, she's the same age as you and a size 10, and her relationship is one of the most stable I've ever seen. Obviously, the first impression you give someone is important, but if you want a good relationship, it'll be based on a lot more than what you look like. That being said, it is important to highlight that size 8/10 is not unattractive (not that any size is actually unattractive but most people, who conform to society's opinions of attractiveness do not find size 8/10 attractive).

Finally, I feel I should say that when I say "a couple of years younger than you" I'm actually 15. However, I have learned a lot about body confidence and overcoming insecurities over the past few years, and I honestly hope all the stuff I've written should be helpful to you! Anyway, I really hope it has been. Good luck with all your endeavours. Please stay healthy, and awesome :smile:

Hi again, sorry I'm so late replying! Your advice was really helpful so thank you very much for taking the time to write it all! You're very, very good at all this for someone who is 15, and I mean that as a sincere compliment. :smile:
It's hard to answer those questions for definite because I haven't met you, weight size and height sits differently on different people, but I'm sure there's nothing wrong with you! Post a pic if you like! Lol. Stick with not conforming, just be you!

Yeah, I see what you mean. I can't post a picture when I'm posting anonymously i'm afraid.

If you look back through the thread I posted pictures of celebrities with similar figures to me when I was talking to Jebedee.
Original post by asinghj

They're not retard units haha! Lots of people still talk about height in feet and inches. It's easy to google it to convert it to cm if you want to.
Original post by asinghj
Lol thanks

So, what do you think now you know what height it is?
Original post by makelifeeasy
thats not even close to being chubby! :smile:

Thank you! I'm just sometimes not sure what to believe cause I've had quite a lot of negative responses on this thread.
So, what do you think now you know what height it is?

That is not chubby at all! 🙃
Original post by asinghj
That is not chubby at all! 🙃

Good, I'm glad you don't think it is. I started this thread cause I was feeling unhappy with how I look now because I used to be very underweight and that's what I'm used to and some of the responses on here unfortunately got me even more worried - several people on here said it was chubby, fat, borderline overweight etc. - so that's why I'm still asking people.
I'm 4'5 and 9st 3lbs. It's perfectly healthy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending