The Student Room Group

Oxbridge policy on early A-levels

I'm thinking of doing all my A-levels next year, in Year 12. I've heard that some universities want you to do a certain number of A-levels within the normal time period. Does anyone know if this is the case for Oxbridge? If not, for which universities is it the case? I want to study maths.

Thanks in advance :smile:
It's the same for all universities. They expect you do do three A-levels over two years. You will get no special treatment if you do them early.
So does that mean that they will treat your application less favourably if you don't do at least 3 of your A-levels over two years?
Reply 3
Original post by archipelaglobule
So does that mean that they will treat your application less favourably if you don't do at least 3 of your A-levels over two years?

It will disadvantage you in the sense you are doubling your workload and therefore at risk of not getting the best marks. They also won't give any allowance for doing them earlier than normal.

It's not how fast you do A-levels, it's how well you do them.

Are you also doing BMO?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by archipelaglobule
I'm thinking of doing all my A-levels next year, in Year 12. I've heard that some universities want you to do a certain number of A-levels within the normal time period. Does anyone know if this is the case for Oxbridge? If not, for which universities is it the case? I want to study maths.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Any particular reason why you want to do it that way ?
Maths at Cambridge is one of the most competitive courses and you need the top notch grades. If you're 100% confident you can achieve it even you do all of them a year early & in one year, that's fine. But they will not give you a brownie point for doing that way if your grades are less than impressive.

And if you've just finished GCSEs, you need to know there's a huge gap between the level of GCSE subjects and A-level subjects. They're much much more demanding than any school work you've done so far. There's a good reason why a-level courses are done in two years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending