The Student Room Group
Original post by StudyQueen
just started learning how to drive recently, and I'm actually more concerned about how I'll be able to pass my theory test?

do you revise for it like you do for exams? and how much time does it require?

this site buddy make sure you get 100% in everything... (i missed out on a pass by 3 marks on the multiple choice -.-')

http://toptests.co.uk/
Reply 2
Original post by thegreatwhale
this site buddy make sure you get 100% in everything... (i missed out on a pass by 3 marks on the multiple choice -.-':wink:

http://toptests.co.uk/

you have high standards! 100% seems a little farfetched for me, haha and I'm sure you'll get those 3 marks next time pal :h: thanks for the website recommendation
get the question booklet as like the sane exact questions come up in the exam do the questions memorize the answers for tge hazard perception id say do alot of practice this is a bit trickier

Posted from TSR Mobile
go on eBay or any store, buy one of the dvd's that has the theory test/hazard perception on it and revise it everyday *mock tests once a day (there 30mins to an hour tops) and within a short period of time you'll pass* can also just do them several times a day. Just like any studying really.

passed mine in June the same way.
(edited 7 years ago)
you have high standards! 100% seems a little farfetched for me, haha and I'm sure you'll get those 3 marks next time pal :h: thanks for the website recommendation

no no seriously for me i got almost 100% on every test and i got ****ed over by a little bit in every area so getting 100% makes the difference especially when you get a question u don't know the answer to :/
its more important to get remember all the ones you got wrong then after so next time they come up you wont make the same mistake on the actually theory I got 47/50

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
just started learning how to drive recently, and I'm actually more concerned about how I'll be able to pass my theory test?

Firstly I would not bother doing driving lessons until I passed my theory test. Why?

Because I had the same problem, I was doing driving lessons and booked my theory test 3 months in advanced. 3 months came and I failed the theory test: scored 42/50 and 70/75. I booked another theory test in another 3 months ( since all the bookings were taken before the 3 months). within that 6 months time span I was paying more for my driving lessons, the instructor said my driving is good and i should not drive until i passed theory test.

After 3 months; I had passed the theory test however my driving got worser because I had stopped driving for a couple of months.

I would not bother to do driving lessons until I had passed my theory test. This is what I would do if I were you:
1. Book theory test 1 - 3 months in advanced depending on how fast you can learn the highway code and hazard perception etc.
2. Study until that day comes
3. Use this app called theory test + hazard perception. I recommend this app because when doing the theory test, the app and the exam had the same exact questions but were worded differently.
4. Read the highwaycode which can be found online or from the book.
5. Once you passed then start doing the driving lessons.
* Make sure during the exam, you read what the questions says before you answer, They made the theory test a little easier by not having multiple answers anymore however they do ask some dumb questions which isn't related to driving.

I would not worry about the hazard perception, I found it really easy since they use CGI animations instead of showing real life examples. But do not rely on my advice, you can spend time on revising the hazard perception.

In total for the theory test, I spent about £40+ ( Failed once and passed once) and spent no money at all for rescources like the books or the hazard perception CDs. I found the rescources online to help me and the app which benefited me however may not benefit other people.

Many elder people especially my family like to use text books and CDs to buy in order to study however I chose the internet route since its easier for me to understand then reading a long arse boring book. My family told me to buy the text books however I did not listen because I know I find reading boring, I prefer either listening or reading in a shorter text.

Revise how you want to study, it might be brainstorming, or reading the text book or whichever.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I think it's just over complicated, buy the DVSA theory kit app from App Store, read it like 1 time, do all the questions book your test. I did this and it worked. As the date for your test comes closer then do more and more mock tests. The DVSA theory kit has questions identical to the exam, same pictures of signs, same wording and all that. Don't stress about it too much and let me know how you get on...

Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
get the question booklet as like the sane exact questions come up in the exam do the questions memorize the answers for tge hazard perception id say do alot of practice this is a bit trickier

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which question booklet :smile:? Thanks
I've been learning for nearly 3 months and have my theory tested booked in for a week on wednesday, my driving instructor told me that I was at the right point to do it, and if I booked it now (during summer) I'd have much more time, and if I booked it I'd actually work, and he was 100% right
I did two full mock tests and passed the theory with 100% and hazard perception way marks way into the 50's.
A tip for the HP I've seen online is to click when you first see the hazard, count 1,2 in your head, and click again - in case you spotted too early. If you didn't, your 2nd click won't count so it doesn't matter! Take your time on the multiple choice - 57 minutes is enough to do the test 3 times so be confident in what you choose, and flag any question you're unsure of and go back to it afterwards
before I booked my test I would do a mock test and then get bored, but now I'm working as hard as I can
download the DVSA official apps, they're brilliant and definitely helped me improve, even in the last 24 hours I've gone up from getting 42/43 out of 50 to 50/50 in a day
Just keep at it, you'll get it eventually!
Original post by JessThomas6
I've been learning for nearly 3 months and have my theory tested booked in for a week on wednesday, my driving instructor told me that I was at the right point to do it, and if I booked it now (during summer) I'd have much more time, and if I booked it I'd actually work, and he was 100% right
I did two full mock tests and passed the theory with 100% and hazard perception way marks way into the 50's.
A tip for the HP I've seen online is to click when you first see the hazard, count 1,2 in your head, and click again - in case you spotted too early. If you didn't, your 2nd click won't count so it doesn't matter! Take your time on the multiple choice - 57 minutes is enough to do the test 3 times so be confident in what you choose, and flag any question you're unsure of and go back to it afterwards
before I booked my test I would do a mock test and then get bored, but now I'm working as hard as I can
download the DVSA official apps, they're brilliant and definitely helped me improve, even in the last 24 hours I've gone up from getting 42/43 out of 50 to 50/50 in a day
Just keep at it, you'll get it eventually!

Would you say the DVSA app is necessary even if you use Theory Test Pro. I don't want to pay 5 pounds and have access to the same official questions...? Thanks !

I just downloaded the official app on my phone. It was £1.99 if I can remember and I kept 'revising' every single day. It was definitely worth the money as the exact same questions came up on my theory test and passed first time with no wrong answers! :smile:

The theory DVD's are pretty good, especially for the hazard perception bit. A copy of the highway code would be pretty useful as well. Both arent too much money to buy.
I just had my theory test this week and luckily passed. i am being 100% honest here, I was not ready for the test as i was busy for the few days before the test. Anyway i advise to book it in the afternoon so u can revise in the morning. Make sure u download the dvsa app from appstore which costs 4.99 this is really helpful even better than the book and remember the highway code. Just keep practicing for the hazard perception by getting a cd, app or even free online videos. Hope this helps and good luck x
Someone help me with theory and hazard perceptions
Give me a good site to practise hazard perceptions

Latest

Trending

Trending