The Student Room Group

Turkey bans academics from leaving the country.

It's truly horrifying that Western leaders are supporting Erdogan's rule because it's "democratic".
Reply 2
Original post by JordanL_
It's truly horrifying that Western leaders are supporting Erdogan's rule because it's "democratic".

It's equally horrifying that people who endlessly ***** and moan about western governments interfering in other countries when they have no right to don't see the hypocrisy in complaining about this.
Original post by Drewski
It's equally horrifying that people who endlessly ***** and moan about western governments interfering in other countries when they have no right to don't see the hypocrisy in complaining about this.

When have I *****ed and moaned about it?

Not that it's relevant, because there's a pretty big difference between interfering and supporting.
Major , major power grab going on and I can certainly understand the thinking of the many people saying he may have been behind the coupe or at least have known more of it and allowed it to proceed as now it is a golden opportunity dropped in his lap.
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski

There's a vested interest when the country in question is a NATO member.
Original post by JordanL_

Given that you have an EU flag as your wallpaper, I understand that the democratic process isn't something which you deem appropriate when it conflicts with your own political agenda.

I don't like Erdogan, but he was elected off a democratic mandate to serve the Turkish people. The coup by opposition supporters the other day was completely unacceptable and they have singlehandedly led to the demise of secularism in Turkey.

Now, western leaders need to ally themselves with Turkey to ensure one of the west's few Muslim allies does not associate itself with Islamic fundamentalism.
Reply 7
Original post by caravaggio2
Major , major power grab going on and I can certainly understand the thinking of the many people saying he may have been behind the coupe or at least have known more of it and allowed it to proceed as now it is a golden opportunity dropped in his lap.

It's blatantly obvious that the targets of the purge we already in his sights, he's jumped on the perfect excuse to go after them.
Original post by jake4198
Given that you have an EU flag as your wallpaper, I understand that the democratic process isn't something which you deem appropriate when it conflicts with your own political agenda.

I don't like Erdogan, but he was elected off a democratic mandate to serve the Turkish people. The coup by opposition supporters the other day was completely unacceptable and they have singlehandedly led to the demise of secularism in Turkey.

Now, western leaders need to ally themselves with Turkey to ensure one of the west's few Muslim allies does not associate itself with Islamic fundamentalism.

The Nazi party were elected to serve the German people. People need to get the over this ridiculous "democracy = good, everything else = bad" ****. Sometimes, democratically elected governments are bad. When a democratically elected government is oppressing people, wrongly imprisoning people, taking away their fundamental rights, they are bad. "But democracy" means **** all to the people being imprisoned for being a threat to their "democratic" leader.
This is like the start of the film Argo...?
I can't say I blame the west for supporting Erdogan, can you imagine the instability that it would cause if they didn't?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending