The Student Room Group

EPQ ideas?????

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me think of an idea to base my extended project on.
I've had a bit of a look around and can't seem to find much and I really want something that links with military history, travelling and culture or mythology as i want to link it something I'm interested in or something that would make sense with what I'd like do for career.

Has anybody got any ideas or done an extended project on any of these themes before?
Anything I come up with is too vague or will be really difficult to find information for

Thanks xxx
Do your EPQ on something that relates to your uni course, this is because is shows you're passionate about the course:smile:
Original post by TheWhiteRabbit99
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me think of an idea to base my extended project on.
I've had a bit of a look around and can't seem to find much and I really want something that links with military history, travelling and culture or mythology as i want to link it something I'm interested in or something that would make sense with what I'd like do for career.

Has anybody got any ideas or done an extended project on any of these themes before?
Anything I come up with is too vague or will be really difficult to find information for

Thanks xxx

Need more information pal! Too many topics here.
I'm the master of ideas and can think about alot of projects but to link all of them? Yeah, maybe?

Effect of the Mongol Civilisation?- You include Myth- their whole world view was based on spreading war to avoid the destruction of the world by their god/gods. Military history- again conquered most of the Middle East and had alot of tactics and advancements. Culture- well their's was based almost like nomads, but they did make some settlements. The effect of genetics and Genghis khans's love of women contributed to his genes being spread around the ME alot.

You may be able to work something out of that.

I just need more information.
Original post by HelpusPleasus
Need more information pal! Too many topics here.
I'm the master of ideas and can think about alot of projects but to link all of them? Yeah, maybe?

Effect of the Mongol Civilisation?- You include Myth- their whole world view was based on spreading war to avoid the destruction of the world by their god/gods. Military history- again conquered most of the Middle East and had alot of tactics and advancements. Culture- well their's was based almost like nomads, but they did make some settlements. The effect of genetics and Genghis khans's love of women contributed to his genes being spread around the ME alot.

You may be able to work something out of that.

I just need more information.

Heya yea sorry i just kinda listed things I would be interested in... and that does sound really good thank you
If you want a good study of military history and mythology you can look at the Greek Persian wars and how they affected the entire world at that point. You could also have a look at the Romans and talk about how they would conquer lands, adopt the cultures and religions, and use that to assimilate those people into their kingdom (for example the similarities between the Greek Gods and the Romans, and how Christianity was developed in Rome while Christ himself was Jewish) how that ultimately became one of the reasons the empire collapsed!
Original post by Freddyt58
If you want a good study of military history and mythology you can look at the Greek Persian wars and how they affected the entire world at that point. You could also have a look at the Romans and talk about how they would conquer lands, adopt the cultures and religions, and use that to assimilate those people into their kingdom (for example the similarities between the Greek Gods and the Romans, and how Christianity was developed in Rome while Christ himself was Jewish) how that ultimately became one of the reasons the empire collapsed!

That would actually be really good as I already looked into the Greek and Roman gods for a previous project in school... thank youu
Original post by TheWhiteRabbit99
That would actually be really good as I already looked into the Greek and Roman gods for a previous project in school... thank youu

No problems! I actually did an essay about that when I was younger detailing the similarities and the differences and why keeping things similar and yet have clear distinctions was so important it the Roman method of assimilation and how this hadn't been seen before and how it was incorporated later on in history in different wars. :-)
Original post by Freddyt58
No problems! I actually did an essay about that when I was younger detailing the similarities and the differences and why keeping things similar and yet have clear distinctions was so important it the Roman method of assimilation and how this hadn't been seen before and how it was incorporated later on in history in different wars. :-)

Sorry that's slightly incorrect.
The Early Early Middle Eastern Civilisations that predate Romans and Greeks, assimilated cultures, languages and gods.

If you have a look into it the gods of each culture develop from a city state and then form a united collection when the city states merge. When the land is invaded the gods are adapted and assimilated so they are both similar but different.

For a brief example look at the Sumerian god Inanna, she later evolves into the Akkadian god Ishtar.

it's not entirely the same as the Greek-Roman Gods but the statement you made was wrong.

Also Op. What about how war affects a culture and mythology of a people?
Or How does a mythology affect a culture?

Generally it fascinates me the whole Does Mythology create the culture? or does the culture create the mythology?
Original post by HelpusPleasus
Does Mythology create the culture? or does the culture create the mythology?

its like the chicken and the egg debate... :gigg:

Quick Reply

Latest