The Student Room Group

What do you want more of from your parents - pocket money, freedom or bonding time?

I wish I had more freedom. What about you?
Original post by tianshan

As I'm 19, this doesn't apply to me so much anymore, but for me it was definitely freedom as well! I've always lived in villages, with not much to do, and very few friends close by. So, when I got to like 16, my parents were always more hesitant to 'let go' and do my own thing more... Now I'm 19 though, I'd definitely say pocket money - don't get any anymore, so that doesn't make me happy :tongue:
Original post by tianshan

I'm 18 and I just want distance from my mum (i.e to move out) so freedom, I guess.
Reply 3
I am an adult now so again, different circumstances (although hey, if they want to give me pocket money still I'm not gonna complain. :biggrin:), but...

My mum died 5 years ago, just after I graduated from uni, so quite frankly, what I would like more of is just to being able to talk to my mum, to get a hug from my mummy again, because it breaks my heart that I will never ever have that again.

From my dad...he is lovely, the best dad I could hope for, but a bit more emotional support sometimes.
I wanted freedom at the time, but looking back, I'm glad I actually spent a lot of time with my parents. You don't get time to do that so much when you're living away from home and working.
Bonding time.

Once you move out to live your own life, you will have freedom anyway and then having a job means you won't need pocket money.
I'm 27 now. They're in their 60's and it scares me seeing them age right in front of me and deal with health issues whilst still having to work to pay the bills. I hate to see them struggle at all.

All I want from them now is time - not that they don't give it, but as an adult, mine time is ate up by work now...and so is theirs. We catch weekends here and there but I live at the opposite end of the UK and they're divorced now - so travelling around is difficult with getting time off work and finding money for trains. But when it matters, you make sacrifices - so I save some of my wages each month to see them.

All I want now is time - for little things, making them a cup of tea, watching TV in their company, walking the dog, eating breakfast together. And in a bigger sense - I'd like time for them, to live long enough for me to help them financially as they've helped me.
Freedom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending