The Student Room Group

Warwick VS Birkbeck VS Royal Holloway

I am holding an offer from Warwick but is thinking of studying in London. Which of the three would you recommend me to read philosophy in?

PS: I would love to have an academic atmosphere and is looking into participating in Model United Nation, however, I can't find any information of MUN in the two London colleges. Anyone have any clue?

Scroll to see replies

Warwick no question
Reply 2
Original post by TelAviv
Warwick no question

hum.... may I ask why?
Reply 3
Warwick by far
Reply 4
I have had good times with my limited exposure to Warwick's Philosophy department...do recommend
Reply 5
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I have had good times with my limited exposure to Warwick's Philosophy department...do recommend

but but.... I need a reason to give up studying in London.
Reply 6
Original post by conavioak
but but.... I need a reason to give up studying in London.

Warwick is a more renowned university than the other two and it is certainly no where near as dead as you might think. Also cheaper living.
Reply 7
I know someone who goes Warwick and they love it so seems silly not to go to Warwick mate considering it is ranked much higher than the others you're thinking about !!
Reply 8
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Warwick is a more renowned university than the other two and it is certainly no where near as dead as you might think. Also cheaper living.

My mate who goes there said there's one decent club in Coventry ; can't remember the name now but it seemed every student goes there
are u serious
Reply 10
Original post by fefssdf
My mate who goes there said there's one decent club in Coventry ; can't remember the name now but it seemed every student goes there

I do not club...but I refer primarily to the campus (obviously if you're into intense clubbing, not great, but the point is you can go out and have a good time just like anywhere else)
hum.... may I ask why?

Warwick is regarded as one of the best universities in the UK, the other two aren't.

Going for the London universities purely because they're in London isn't really the best decision since you'd get a similar experience for a cheaper price at Manchester or another big city.

If you have the capacity to get a Warwick offer, why didn't you apply for UCL/KCL/LSE? They're in London and are around Warwick's level in terms of reputation and favorability to employers.
This actually seems like a funny post?

Warwick is one of the top 10 prestigious universities of the UK. It has a strong world reputation, and it speaks for itself. No way does it even bother competing with Royal Holloway and Birkbeck.

It only competes with UCL, LSE, Imperial and King's in London. If you really want to stay in London, then choose one of those, but don't give up on Warwick opportunity.
This must be a joke -_-.

Birkbeck and R Holloway cannot compete with Warwick.

Warwick first hand!
Reply 14
Original post by TelAviv
Warwick is regarded as one of the best universities in the UK, the other two aren't.

Going for the London universities purely because they're in London isn't really the best decision since you'd get a similar experience for a cheaper price at Manchester or another big city.

If you have the capacity to get a Warwick offer, why didn't you apply for UCL/KCL/LSE? They're in London and are around Warwick's level in terms of reputation and favorability to employers.

they were all my choices but nah, all of them rejected me for unknown reason, lol. I checked the citation rate and academic reputation of philosophy departments of the three uni and Warwick scored the worst amongst all.
they were all my choices but nah, all of them rejected me for unknown reason, lol. I checked the citation rate and academic reputation of philosophy departments of the three uni and Warwick scored the worst amongst all.

Sorry to hear that!

Warwick is better than both Birkbeck and RH, regardless of what some individual sources may say

Particularly if you want to work in something outside of philosophy, Warwick's name alone will undoubtedly better your chances compared to the other two

Think of it this way: although Warwick isn't in London, going to Warwick will improve your chances of getting a job that pays enough to live in London and do all the fun stuff you'd like in later life
@conavioak RoHo isn't in London
Reply 17
Original post by Trinculo
@conavioak RoHo isn't in London

wut.........!

just Googled, and yes, I guess RH is a little bit too remote to be in London, lol.
wut.........!

just Googled, and yes, I guess RH is a little bit too remote to be in London, lol.

Yeh, that thing about "University of London" isn't really a thing.
Reply 19
Original post by TelAviv
Sorry to hear that!

Warwick is better than both Birkbeck and RH, regardless of what some individual sources may say

Particularly if you want to work in something outside of philosophy, Warwick's name alone will undoubtedly better your chances compared to the other two

Think of it this way: although Warwick isn't in London, going to Warwick will improve your chances of getting a job that pays enough to live in London and do all the fun stuff you'd like in later life

the fact is, I am actually thinking of being a philosophy professor... so I guess the rep of the uni does matter... I know Warwick is certainly much better than the two but how do Warwick struggled to beat them both in academic referencing and rep?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending