The Student Room Group

UNI Experience for Nurse Students??

I will be going uni next year for adult nursing....But id like to know how much different is the course gonna be for nurses compared to other students. I mean I know that time is more limited, but do you still get involved in activities, societies or gatherings as te rest of students??

Id really like to know because I consider going to university not all about the degree but also the overall experience. I don't wanna enter a course just for the sake of getting a job, cause I could've done that earlier...
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes it will be different. We don't have Easter or Summer holidays unlike other students who have many weeks off during the year to work part time and travel as they please. You will be expected to work weekends, bank holidays and night shifts during placement hours. University life is what you make it. I still had a busy social life in the first year but this was more so during the weeks spent at university classes.
Original post by jellybabies22
Yes it will be different. We don't have Easter or Summer holidays unlike other students who have many weeks off during the year to work part time and travel as they please. You will be expected to work weekends, bank holidays and night shifts during placement hours. University life is what you make it. I still had a busy social life in the first year but this was more so during the weeks spent at university classes.

Thanks for answering! I was aware that nurses had much shorter holidays and a busier schedule, but with that pressure aside
Is it possible to make out a decent time for yourself? Im actually getting more negative towards this course, because after the course things will Not get easier.... I dont think this course will pay off...for me
Original post by Chazeyourself
Thanks for answering! I was aware that nurses had much shorter holidays and a busier schedule, but with that pressure aside
Is it possible to make out a decent time for yourself? Im actually getting more negative towards this course, because after the course things will Not get easier.... I dont think this course will pay off...for me

It is still possible to make time for partying etc but you have to organise your time wisely. It's usually easier to do this during a block of several weeks of classes rather than the night before a placement day. If nursing is what you really want to do you will have to make some sacrifices, but if the whole university lifestyle is more what you want to get out of it you may be disappointed.

Quick Reply

Latest