The Student Room Group

work experience for veterinary nursing

i've been reading a couple of forums and they all list 10+ weeks for work experience. i only have 2 weeks done and i'm about to do another week at an equine clinic. is that enough to apply for veterinary nursing and not get rejected?

i've been looking at online work experience too and might do some too
Original post by maja n.
i've been reading a couple of forums and they all list 10+ weeks for work experience. i only have 2 weeks done and i'm about to do another week at an equine clinic. is that enough to apply for veterinary nursing and not get rejected?

Hey,
My advice would be to try and get as much as you can, but do not stress so much about the number of weeks. Unless it says in the entry criteria they should not be able to penalise you if you have a bit less than other applicants. There are many reasons why someone may not be able to get so much experience. Most courses care more about your reflections from your experiences and what you got out of it, than the time. So I would just make the most of what you can get and have done (try to write a journal of your experiences and reflections). This is just general advice about work experience and I am not on a veterinary nursing course, it may be worth trying to contact some current students on the course to ask what they did.
I hope it all goes well for you,
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Original post by maja n.

What universities are you hoping to apply to vet nursing at? Don't worry about what forums say - you only need to meet the requirements that the universities actually specify. Doing as much as you can is always a good thing, but as long as you meet the minimum requirements you will be considered.
Reply 3
Original post by louisvbird
What universities are you hoping to apply to vet nursing at? Don't worry about what forums say - you only need to meet the requirements that the universities actually specify. Doing as much as you can is always a good thing, but as long as you meet the minimum requirements you will be considered.

I'm thinking about rvc, Bristol Uni, Notting Trent uni and hartpury uni. I haven't got a fifth one yet. I'm just worried that when all the applications go in, offers are more likely to go to people who have done more work experience.

I haven't had much luck with finding places to take me on, plus I have my own work and school to work around 🥲
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by maja n.
I'm thinking about rvc, Bristol Uni, Notting Trent uni and hartpury uni. I haven't got a fifth one yet. I'm just worried that when all the applications go in, offers are more likely to go to people who have done more work experience.

I haven't had much luck with finding places to take me on, plus I have my own work and school to work around 🥲

I think:
I don't think Bristol require any but seem to recommend it. NTU, RVC and Hartpury all require 70 hours/10 days.

So, as long as you get 10 days/2 weeks of experience, you will be considered for the veterinary nursing course. If you do any extra it may help you be a more competitive applicant, but is not essential in order to get onto the course.

This resource was designed for vet students, so don't worry about doing the huge amounts of different types of experience it discusses, however it gives some good ideas as to how to get placements and ensure people listen to you and don't turn you away: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=441897
Top tips: try calling instead of email. It makes you harder to say no to. Be super polite. Call as many vet clinics as you can - I personally had to call like 50 to get my pre-uni placements!

You've got this. Don't give up! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending