The Student Room Group

Medical schools and SJT band

I am wondering if people have any information regarding how certain universities use the SJT test? Particularly Liverpool, Manchester, UEA and Bristol
Have you checked their websites first?
Original post by Dan Milik
I am wondering if people have any information regarding how certain universities use the SJT test? Particularly Liverpool, Manchester, UEA and Bristol

Manchester did not use the SJT component of the UKCAT for 2016 entry but their website is not updated for 2017 entry so keep a lookout.

UEA do not use the SJT band in their selection process either.

Bristol does not say whether they use the SJT band or not, tbh they dont really say to much about the UKCAT at this stage because it is a new thing for them. I urge you to contact admissions to find out.

Liverpool do not consider anyone with band 4 SJT.

Hope that helps, but can I please urge you to google their websites and admissions policies, it has taken me 5 minutes to find all of this information on their websites, it is there in plain black and white to see.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Manchester did not use the SJT component of the UKCAT for 2016 entry but their website is not updated for 2017 entry so keep a lookout.

UEA do not use the SJT band in their selection process either.

Bristol does not say whether they use the SJT band or not, tbh they dont really say to much about the UKCAT at this stage because it is a new thing for them. I urge you to contact admissions to find out.

Liverpool do not consider anyone with band 4 SJT.

Hope that helps, but can I please urge you to google their websites and admissions policies, it has taken me 5 minutes to find all of this information on their websites, it is there in plain black and white to see.

Haha you're too nice :tongue: some people are just lazy and want everything on a plate
Original post by Mrs House
Haha you're too nice :tongue: some people are just lazy and want everything on a plate

I know tell me about it, It literally took me 5 minutes to google the answers to these questions, yes I do it all the time so I probably know what im looking for, but its so simple to get these answers from admissions documents and I dont understand why people cant go away and look it up themselves.

Cant be lazy in med applications it just wont work.
Reply 5
Hey :smile:

Totally agree with what everyone else is saying. Its really important that you always check the universities websites and be aware as they can sometimes change how they use different exams/sections between years so don't just rely on the info people from older years might give you.

The SJT is also used differently between different uni's. Some universities count the SJT at pre-interview stage whereas a new thing this year is some universities only consider the SJT after interview. This means that they add the SJT score to your interview score to help them decide.

To score well on the SJT its all about being on the right side of the scale of answer choices. There isn't actually a correct answer for each SJT scenario. The way it works is a panel is given the scenario, the most common answer choice from the panel becomes the 'correct' answer but answers near to the panel majority ' correct answer' are also awarded partial credit. For example, if an answer is very appropriate, and you but appropriate but not ideal you will still get some credit.

Try to always be on the right side of the scale to get band 1 or 2 and don't get too worried if you don't get the correct answer each time - its much more important to initially focus on being on the right side of the scale.

I hope this helps and let me know if you need any more info :smile:
Reply 6
Does anyone know how medical schools, particularly Manchester, Queen Mary, Glasgow, Sheffield and Cardiff University use the Situational Judgment Test score in the selection process? I got a Band 3 for SJT and am kinda worried about that.
Thanks in advance!
Reply 7
I would Suggest you have a look at their websites... Generating your own curiosity and research can only complement the quality of your application

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending