The Student Room Group

Worried that my brother smokes

Recently I've noticed that my younger brother sometimes smells of tobacco smoke when he comes in to the house and he got really short with me when I asked him about it. I went into his room the other day to get something and I noticed a pack of Rizla's in his bedside table. I don't want him to start smoking as it's pretty bad for you. What do you guys think, is he smoking?

Scroll to see replies

None of your business.
tbh it is none of your business unless hes like 12.
Reply 3
Depends how old he is. If he's young enough then perhaps inform parents/guardians. If he is too old for that then you can speak to him about it but ultimately that's the decision he's made and it'll be hard for you to tell him otherwise.
Reply 4
Original post by Wilfred Little
None of your business.

OP please do not listen to this.

The health of those you love and care about is entirely your business.

ifr you want to stop your brother smoking just google image search "effects of smoking disease" and go through each pic with him one by one. Tell him that will be him if he keeps on smoking - ask him does he think looking cool in front of his friends is worth lung cancer and not being able to breathe? etc.....recommend you show him videos as well so its even more real

it's a drastic measure, but unless he chooses to stop himself, you have to instill the fear of what smoking will do to him in his mind, otherwise he wont stop
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by james652
Depends how old he is. If he's young enough then perhaps inform parents/guardians. If he is too old for that then you can speak to him about it but ultimately that's the decision he's made and it'll be hard for you to tell him otherwise.

He's 16, going to be 17 in a couple of weeks
Original post by Virgil.

ifr you want to stop your brother smoking just google image search "effects of smoking disease" and go through each pic with him one by one. Tell him that will be him if he keeps on smoking - ask him does he think looking cool in front of his friends is worth lung cancer and not being able to breathe? etc

Right, how effective has your method been? Smokers know all this and continue to smoke.

He will likely want to give up in his own time. A nagging relative would probably just make me ignore them even more tbh.
None of your business.

As a family member that is actually his/her business. I wouldnt want to be the brother of some pathetic smoker tbh.

Either way, he'll probably find all sorts of ways to evade getting caught. I doubt the OP could really change a lot. It all depends on how desperate your bruv is when it comes to sm0nking. Be happy that he smokes Cigs and not weed. The weed itsself is actually less harmful, but the weed culture that comes with it is pure cancer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Galaxie501
As a family member that is actually his/her business. I wouldnt want to be the brother of some pathetic smoker tbh.

It's not his business really. It's entirely his choice what he does with his body.
Reply 9
I know a lot of smokers around his age, I think don't worry about it immediately I mean so many people get off smoking so quickly around that age. If it continues in a few weeks just be a bit of a b*tch about it. It's more likely to be social, he obviously know the effects of smoking with it being shoved down our throats most of the time, but keep confronting him etc if you really have a problem with it.
Reply 10
Original post by Virgil.

ifr you want to stop your brother smoking just google image search "effects of smoking disease" and go through each pic with him one by one. Tell him that will be him if he keeps on smoking - ask him does he think looking cool in front of his friends is worth lung cancer and not being able to breathe? etc.....recommend you show him videos as well so its even more real

it's a drastic measure, but unless he chooses to stop himself, you have to instill the fear of what smoking will do to him in his mind, otherwise he wont stop

I agree with you.
I also want to advise the OP to tell your parents.
Original post by IzzyH71
Recently I've noticed that my younger brother sometimes smells of tobacco smoke when he comes in to the house and he got really short with me when I asked him about it. I went into his room the other day to get something and I noticed a pack of Rizla's in his bedside table. I don't want him to start smoking as it's pretty bad for you. What do you guys think, is he smoking?

To tell you the truth, from what you have said, probably. There is quite a lot of peer pressure on him and he might have started because of this. I started when I was around his age and I tried to cover it up, but I began to smoke more frequently and it was difficult to cover the smell of it which is how my parents found out. I am still smoking now and I am trying to quit so I really needed someone to talk to me and tell me why I shouldn't. I would have a chat to him and talk to him how he may thinks he looks now, but talk to him about the future and how it affects jobs and family. If he is sporty he might need to be told about how it can basically ruin your chances to play that sport, which happened to a mate. At the end of the day, it is up to him to decide and there is only much you are anyone can say to convinse him not to. Many teens can be pretty obnoxious at that age.
Reply 12
Original post by JohnGreek
Tell him that he's a r3tard (seriously, why is this word blocked?) who's gonna waste his money and life away on some stupid, self-destructive hobby.

Smoking stops being "cool" in your thirties.

Yeah, I agree. I've tried but he doesn't really listen to me.
Original post by S1939
I agree with you.
I also want to advise the OP to tell your parents.

Telling his parents he smokes is a dick move.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IzzyH71
Yeah, I agree. I've tried but he doesn't really listen to me.

@Virgil.
The odd smoke is fine, leave him be. You can advise him but it will probably make the issue worse. Don't try and Control him if he wants to do it he will do it
Reply 16
Telling his parents he smokes is a dick move.

He's not an adult yet. The parents are responsible for his welfare.

To add, what if the kid is buying the cigarettes with the pocket money his parents give him?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by S1939
He's not an adult yet. The parents are responsible for his welfare

Nothing will come from telling his parents other than his brother resenting him for being a grass. And if he continues to smoke they will find out anyway. Pointless.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by S1939
He's not an adult yet. The parents are responsible for his welfare.

To add, what if the kid is buying the cigarettes with the pocket money his parents give him?

Yeah, I might speak to them
You can speak to them but it really won't achieve much- ultimately if he wants to smoke he is going to do it whether you or your parents like it or not....better that you know about it than not, no? Besides he will probably regulate it, having like 1 or 2 a day isn't gonna damage you that much in the long term and likelihood is he will probably not continue the habit.......if you have that amount you won't even be considered a smoker or register on any carbon monoxide tests

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending