The Student Room Group

Why is TSR celebrating gay pride?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
You can tell how stupid some of the members here are. (i.e. me ) I thought the colours was to do with the Olympic games. :rofl3:
Original post by Virgil.
Its not a celebration of equality though, that's my point.

Because if I make a thread on here saying:

"hmm actually yknow I dont think gay people are that great, here are the reasons 1)...2)....3)"

Something like that is going to be automatically shut down. How is that equality?

Its not hate speech. It is possible to be against something based on very real facts about that thing.

But I just find it hard to understand because like, gay people are the same people as us, same species, just with a different sexual orientation?
Having an opinion censored is not inequality, because you're not being treated that way (having a thread shut down) because you're different,it's because of an opinion, therefore it's not inequality. What IS inequality, would be you making a thread where you are prejudice against someone else, for example a gay person.
Original post by BobSausage
You can tell how stupid some of the members here are. (i.e. me ) I thought the colours was to do with the Olympic games. :rofl3:

That makes you so straight and boring, you can only possibly be from the East of England. Norwich or Rutland or something.
LOL I was waiting for a homophobe to have a meltdown about this.

Go on stormfront if you want to get sympathy for your bigotry
Original post by Trinculo
That makes you so straight and boring, you can only possibly be from the East of England. Norwich or Rutland or something.

nooo I am from around that area and there's still rainbows everywhere in town:biggrin:
I'm intrigued tho, as to why so many people are acting like it's a contest with cash prizes for moral outrage and who can be the most aggressively indignant.
Reply 86
Original post by Trinculo

:frown: I'm not that boring. I just noticed it changed days before the start of Olympics and assumed the two were related. Now someone's pointed it out I understand, but they did it with no explanation, so stupid people like me were confused.
:2012:<see so colourful !
And yes I'm from East Anglia (around Cambridge). And whilst you notice that us 'ere farmers of the East are all straight you seem to have completely overlooked the fact we're all inbred too. :smile:

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Virgil.
Seems weird to me that the site staff/owners should be taking overt political stances.

The obvious impact of this is that it suggests that when some people come to this website their views will likely automatically be censored, and their right to an opinion will be impinged upon.

I mean if you have been on here long enough you will already know the censorship is punishingly intense against anything that even remotely deviates from 100% pure political correctness.

Now you can say TSR is a private enterprise - its free to do as it pleases, but do not see any reason why it is necessary for TSR to be pro gay pride?....Seems to me it would be better if it remained politically neutral.

Like, if it's ok to fly a gay pride banner at the top of the website, surely it's also ok to fly a Union Jack with the slogan "Britain for British People"?

By your logic, companies take political stances all the time, whether opting for free range or fair-trade food, having equality policies, not selling products tested on animals, providing halal products, etc. You only appear to be taking issue with this because it is to do with gay people.
You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I am also LGBT or whatever they are calling it these days and I agree.

You're lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender all in one? That's unfortunate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mentalbarry
Found the homophobe.

Probably a gay stuck in the closet. its ok nobody will judge you for liking cock.
Actually I'm openly bisexual.

I just don't have any time for pointmaking in a society that's supposed to be "accepting" and "inclusive" - that's all Pride is. It's ******** and it isn't necessary.
Original post by Virgil.
Its not a celebration of equality though, that's my point.

Because if I make a thread on here saying:

"hmm actually yknow I dont think gay people are that great, here are the reasons 1)...2)....3)"

Something like that is going to be automatically shut down. How is that equality?

Its not hate speech. It is possible to be against something based on very real facts about that thing.

I'm against hetersexual men because 1) They like girls, 2) They think its a choice 3) White men never had discrimination, how do they know how it feels? Its a sin in the LGBT bible to be straight.
Reply 92
Original post by Tootles
Actually I'm openly bisexual.

I just don't have any time for pointmaking in a society that's supposed to be "accepting" and "inclusive" - that's all Pride is. It's ******** and it isn't necessary.

Most things in life aren't necessary. Your point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by ckfeister
I'm against hetersexual men because 1) They like girls, 2) They think its a choice 3) White men never had discrimination, how do they know how it feels? Its a sin in the LGBT bible to be straight.

It's one thing not being homophobic, but it's another thing completely to start being heterophobic. You are wrong, there is no other way of putting it. I am heterosexual yet have many bi/homo-sexual friends and transgender friends. The whole point is peace and equality, not two opposing factions. Society can eventually grow out of its fear/hatred of LGBT people but hating hetero sexual people in return is not the way to do it.
This would be the same as BLM blocking roads and tram lines and airports in Britain for the crimes of American police officers.
There are ways to solve inequality without dividing society into two opposing factions who despise each other, and your idea that hating the heterosexuals is essential to being part of the LGBT movement is preposterous.

And you are also being racist and generalising : 'White people have never had discrimination'.

You are so wrong.

The upper most classes of rich white families who control society have suffered very little discrimination, true. But what about those who live on benefits, what about those who live in the slums or were forced to work in the Victorian sweatshops and workhouses?
As for this idea you have that you must now repay the 'evil white supremacist heterosexual society' in medieval ways for all that they have done wrong in the past by rallying against a certain group for their sexuality and colour of their skin...that sounds a exactly like the sort of hate you're supposedly trying to stop

Please learn to treat everyone with equality and fairness and learn that everyone is diverse.

And just to leave you with something to ponder on: the worst 3 homophobes I have ever met, have all gone on to come out of the closet... Yes it would appear you're worst haters are those you're rallying for.
Reply 94
... y u on the internet m8

Original post by WoodyMKC
I just had a huge realisation. Homosexuality being considered a sin by Christos isn't because you're "having sexual relations with a man" - it's because Pride is one of the 7 deadly sins!!!

Holy **** mah brain just imploded
Original post by RobML
Um, that's kind of how opinions work. If we didn't think they were right they wouldn't be opinions ha
"I'm of the opinion the earth is round but I'm not right"

I don't think other opinions are disgusting. I don't even think other opinions are wrong! The example you've given is something that can be proven objectively. That's not so much an opinion as simply being scientifically incorrect.

Original post by RobML
Nothing is objectively disgusting, but by any sensible criteria, anti-lgbt rights is not a very nice stance

It's not 'by any sensible criteria'; it's by your criteria. You can see that, right?
Reply 96
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I don't think other opinions are disgusting. I don't even think other opinions are wrong! The example you've given is something that can be proven objectively. That's not so much an opinion as simply being scientifically incorrect.

It's not 'by any sensible criteria'; it's by your criteria. You can see that, right?

You've missed the point. Replace "the earth is round" with "murder is bad" if that helps

Got anything better than the utilitarian criteria I subscribe to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does it offend you or something?
Original post by RobML
You've missed the point. Replace "the earth is round" with "murder is bad" if that helps

There's much more of a consensus on 'murder is bad' than 'LGBT is wrong.'

Original post by RobML
Got anything better than the utilitarian criteria I subscribe to?

Now it's you missing the point. The question isn't even about whether LGBT is wrong. It's that TSR shouldn't be endorsing it - or anything - either way. That is not what TSR is supposed to be about. What TSR is doing would be the equivalent of Studio Ghibli publicly opposing the animal fur industry. It just doesn't make sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think the problem is with camp people and camp gays, I cannot stand people who are camp and all in your face, if you want to be gay fine be gay but just keep to yourself and I will keep to myself

Quick Reply

Latest