The Student Room Group

''Women's Studies is a load of rubbish!''

Scroll to see replies

If you can do a degree in women's studies, could you do a degree in men's studies?

And is it bad that the name 'women's studies' for me conjures up images of girls sitting round debating period pains?
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Except feminism seems to have a completely illogical tendency to defend Islam. :p:

I always see this claimed but I've never actually seen any feminist come out in endorsement of Islam. I certainly don't support Islam
(edited 7 years ago)
What's disappointing is that everyone comes in here bashing Women's Studies, when OP just wanted to hear what it entails from someone who'd ACTUALLY STUDIED IT.

OP wasn't asking for what everyone else thought of it.

Jesus, I hate you people. ****ing STEM nerds.

#STEMMASTERRACE.jpg
Original post by Abstract_Prism
What's disappointing is that everyone comes in here bashing Women's Studies, when OP just wanted to hear what it entails from someone who'd ACTUALLY STUDIED IT.

#STEMMASTERRACE.jpg

Hey careful now, I'm a chemistry undergrad myself! :tongue:
Original post by Platopus
If you can do a degree in women's studies, could you do a degree in men's studies?

And is it bad that the name 'women's studies' for me conjures up images of girls sitting round debating period pains?

I believe that's called 'History' :tongue:

Tbf if I didn't know anything about feminism that's what I would think too
Reply 85

#STEMMASTERRACE.jpg

High concentration of sodium chloride here
It's just banter
I don't understand what the big issue is here. It's mostly masters degree anyway and it could actually turn out to be useful.
Lets say someone is a lawyer or a psychologist and for some reason they want to focus on domestic abuse or women's rights in different parts of the world etc. Why would such a degree be useless to these people??
Original post by Seamus123
Are those calling other people's studies rubbish paying the course fees? No you are not?

Some of us pay tax, which pays for your fees.
Reply 88

#STEMMASTERRACE.jpg

Non stem snobbery is just as bad.
Original post by B_9710
Non stem snobbery is just as bad.

This is not non-STEM snobbery. I'm not saying that Women's Studies is a good degree. I'm not saying it's a bad degree either. I made no comment on it.

I'm saying that I hate the STEM nerds who jump on any thread that has NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM to tell the OP what a bad degree they're taking.

The OP wasn't even taking Women's Studies! They just wanted to find out more about it! But no, the STEM nerds can't allow that!

I don't hate the STEM subjects. I hate the elitist pricks who take them.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Some of us pay tax, which pays for your fees.

I have no problem with that. I worked hard from when I was 15 till I was 60 and paid taxes. My 7 children are taxpayers and some of my grandchildren are too, so you can come down off your high horse. I never received a proper education so I'm taking it now with both hands. Anyone who doesn't like it, tough.
Original post by Washington.
BA (Hons) Women Studies Curriculum:

Year 1
Hair
Year 2
Nails
Year 3
Makeup

omg :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
I'm not equating useless to non-vocational, I'm responding specifically to the claim that all non-vocational subjects are of equal worth.

Your comment about chemistry just reinforces my point
Original post by 41b
PPE Undergrad :wink:
How's PPE?It's one of my degree options so I'm just wondering how it actually is like.
Reply 94
I studied it as part of a double major in History. Currently a law student.

Pleasantly surprised to see this thread isn't trolling... :wink:
Reply 95
This is not non-STEM snobbery. I'm not saying that Women's Studies is a good degree. I'm not saying it's a bad degree either. I made no comment on it.

I'm saying that I hate the STEM nerds who jump on any thread that has NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM to tell the OP what a bad degree they're taking.

The OP wasn't even taking Women's Studies! They just wanted to find out more about it! But no, the STEM nerds can't allow that!

I don't hate the STEM subjects. I hate the elitist pricks who take them.

Seems fair.
Original post by Platopus

That's History sweetheart.

I'm glad to see that you think so much of women that their only interesting point of discussion is their periods.
Original post by tengentoppa
Of course, it's a very respected degree.

But it is still non-vocational

If many people wanted a vocational subject, they'd take an apprenticeship. Degrees are meant to be academic, not necessarily vocational.
Original post by joecphillips
Yes it is 'equality' people disagree with not the kill all men put them in camp ideas they come up with.

Too right! Gotta kill all the men and stick em in camps. As a 'massive feminist' I think thats a swell idea! What better way to achieve gender equality. If we get rid of all the men, us women will finally have equality.

On a serious note, I dont know what you've been reading but it kinda sounds like your comparing feminists to Nazis. And men to jews. I'm not saying you are, but it sounds awfully similar.
Original post by Twinpeaks
That's History sweetheart.

I'm glad to see that you think so much of women that their only interesting point of discussion is their periods.

Please look up the etymology of the word "history", it is not an exclusively male discipline and it's name does not suggest as much:

The word history comes ultimately from Ancient Greek ἱστορία[12] (historía), meaning "inquiry","knowledge from inquiry", or "judge"

In history, we study men and women. It just so happens that, due to past societies being primarily patriarchal, a lot of older content focuses on men.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending