The Student Room Group

Rethinking my subject choices - Higher Physics?

Well after disappointingly getting a B in National 5 English, where I was predicted an A, I have decided I want to rethink my subject choices and perhaps do Higher Physics instead. I got an A in National 5 Physics however it wasn't my best subject, I was wondering what the step up from National 5 to Higher was like? What were the most difficult aspects of the course? Any advice about the Higher Physics course would be great.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Definitely a step up, although still about same level as higher maths imo. Considering you got an A at nat 5, if you work hard at it A in H.Physics is probably achievable. There is more workload and some harder concepts to understand, although once you practice enough past papers you can expect familiar questions in the exam. Get one of the new bright red books/hodder gibson they are good :smile:

Also use youtube to find lessons on hard topics, saves you tons of time and probably more efficient than textbooks.

Edit: Definitely a good idea to do Higher physics if you think you will get better results in it compared to Higher English (more uncertainty with marking).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Yammy
Definitely a step up, although still about same level as higher maths imo. Considering you got an A at nat 5, if you work hard at it A in H.Physics is probably achievable. There is more workload and some harder concepts to understand, although once you practice enough past papers you can expect familiar questions in the exam.

Ok thanks, sounds good. Also would you say there's lots of new content or is it building on your knowledge from N5? Is the assignment difficult or is it like N5?
Original post by Yammy
Definitely a step up, although still about same level as higher maths imo. Considering you got an A at nat 5, if you work hard at it A in H.Physics is probably achievable. There is more workload and some harder concepts to understand, although once you practice enough past papers you can expect familiar questions in the exam. Get one of the new bright red books/hodder gibson they are good :smile:

Also use youtube to find lessons on hard topics, saves you tons of time and probably more efficient than textbooks.

Edit: Definitely a good idea to do Higher physics if you think you will get better results in it compared to Higher English (more uncertainty with marking).

And yeah I do agree that's exactly why I don't like English
Reply 4
Original post by ___Sophie___
Ok thanks, sounds good. Also would you say there's lots of new content or is it building on your knowledge from N5? Is the assignment difficult or is it like N5?

Can't speak for assignment sorry, I did the last year of old highers (no assignment). Otherwise quite a lot of new stuff, plus building on knowledge on some bits of nat 5 eg circuits. I think in the new higher you also get doppler effect etc so thats new.
Original post by Yammy
Can't speak for assignment sorry, I did the last year of old highers (no assignment). Otherwise quite a lot of new stuff, plus building on knowledge on some bits of nat 5 eg circuits. I think in the new higher you also get doppler effect etc so thats new.

Ah ok thanks again :smile:
Higher English is an easy course, Higher Physics is hell. People who get Bs at Nat5 can upgrade them to As at Higher, don't let it discourage you.
Reply 7
Well after disappointingly getting a B in National 5 English, where I was predicted an A, I have decided I want to rethink my subject choices and perhaps do Higher Physics instead. I got an A in National 5 Physics however it wasn't my best subject, I was wondering what the step up from National 5 to Higher was like? What were the most difficult aspects of the course? Any advice about the Higher Physics course would be great.

Do what you feel you would enjoy or is more relevant to where you want to go in life. What is it you want to do op?
Original post by JP298
Do what you feel you would enjoy or is more relevant to where you want to go in life. What is it you want to do op?

Physics is not relevant at all to what I want to do, which is MML (Modern & Medieval Languages) hopefully at Cambridge. So I'm doing French, German, Spanish at Higher as well as other Highers and plan on continuing all 3 to advanced. I just really don't want to do English, as mentioned before I find it to be too much of an uncertain subject if that makes sense..
Original post by ElasticJane
Higher English is an easy course, Higher Physics is hell. People who get Bs at Nat5 can upgrade them to As at Higher, don't let it discourage you.

Yeah I know that the Higher English course isn't much of a jump from N5 although I find it to be too much of an uncertain subject, i.e. it's based on luck i.e. what comes up on the day of the exam and it's more about the markers opinion i.e. one marker might see your essay as 17/20 whereas the other marker might see it as 14/20..
Reply 10
Physics is not relevant at all to what I want to do, which is MML (Modern & Medieval Languages) hopefully at Cambridge. So I'm doing French, German, Spanish at Higher as well as other Highers and plan on continuing all 3 to advanced. I just really don't want to do English, as mentioned before I find it to be too much of an uncertain subject if that makes sense..

If YOU don't like, then Don't YOU do it. Simple as that, so long as it isn't a requirement of Uni's. I chose not do Higher English and I was one of 3 who didn't in the whole year. I don't regret it a bit, I replaced it with a subject I enjoyed and it made my whole highers year so much more enjoyable than others who did choose it. Don't listen to folk who say a course is easy, as it may be for some and not for others. English is a subject which is too opinionated in its marking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
If YOU don't like, then Don't YOU do it. Simple as that, so long as it isn't a requirement of Uni's. I chose not do Higher English and I was one of 3 who didn't in the whole year. I don't regret it a bit, I replaced it with a subject I enjoyed and it made my whole highers year so much more enjoyable than others who did choose it. Don't listen to folk who say a course is easy, as it may be for some and not for others. English is a subject which is too opinionated in its marking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I totally agree, thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending