The Student Room Group

How difficult is A-level biology?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tianshan
A Level Biology covers much more details and content, unlike GCSEs which just had little random facts. There is also more calculation questions involved - which is good news if you do Maths. Like the other science subjects, you'll need to get grips with quite a few theories and concepts. However, if you have a genuine interest in Biology, you won't find the subject such a drudgery!

I can't remember there were so much more calculations in A levels. There were just a few, but that is very little in comparison to another natural sciences, even chemistry in stoichiometry has more at A levels. Otherwise, you are right: a great interest in the theories and concepts is an important requirement, otherwise it is really a drudgery for the most.
Enjoy it and its easy
It's not difficult if you do work throughout the year and don't leave it all to the last week before the exam.
It's def harder than Chemistry (which for me, wasn't a massive jump from GCSE to AS) whereas Biology was.

Don't do physics so I wouldn't know, but some say it's easier, some say it's harder.
Original post by alevelnerd123
It's def harder than Chemistry (which for me, wasn't a massive jump from GCSE to AS) whereas Biology was.

Don't do physics so I wouldn't know, but some say it's easier, some say it's harder.

Yeah, for me, biology was much harder than chem
Original post by OGFakiie
Yeah, for me, biology was much harder than chem

Because of the many terms and the lot of facts and considerations which have to be regarded and transferring in contexts? also because biology is more comprehensive in syllabus than chemistry (that was my impression in schooltime at least)?*
I personally find biology exams harder than chemistry although the content is fairly simple... just so much of it! Wish I picked maths or physics instead :colonhash:
Reply 27
bvio.jpg
Reply 28
Original post by thelogician
It's easier than Chemistry and Maths!

Haha maybe for some, I much preferred chemistry and maths to biology! Bio's my worst subject, but chem and maths seemed fairly intuitive imo :s-smilie:
Reply 29
Biology has a lot of content to cover. And yet the questions are too vague in my opinion, although this can vary depending on the exam board.
Reply 30
Personally I didn't find it too hard (well not as hard as chemistry) but there is a LOT of material.
Biology is probably one of the easiest facilitating subjects that you can take :smile:

Why did you take a subject that you're not interested in? Most people who take Biology enjoy it because it is something they are interested in
Original post by Amefish
Why did you take a subject that you're not interested in? Most people who take Biology enjoy it because it is something they are interested in

Some people really thought wrongly it gets easier when it gets into closer detail. Some of them even thought they get their interest in it when it is at higher levels. And almost them realized in a short space of time they were wrong, but after that it is already too late... :sigh:
Original post by 97Y
I don't want to sound arsy.. but if you have two eyes you can get an A at A2All it takes is a little bit of memorisation and just learn standard answers. If you read a chapter a week in the text book (and try to get three different text books) and then do 10 past papers it's really nothingPersonally I found it easy and I am no genius, people in my class struggled but that's because they were too lazy to pick up their books.
I hope to get an A* next month and really I learned all the bio on the bus to and fro from school

Wait so biology is hard because people did well in gcse thought they wouldn’t have to do anything now and it back fired?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending