The Student Room Group

Can someone rank these subjects FOR AS in order from easiest to hardest.

I'm average at essay writing btw, decent at memorising and want an A in one of these subjects at AS.
Bio, Philosophy, Politics, Sociology, English lit, DT , Geo
Everything except English is AQA
Original post by french is cool
I'm average at essay writing btw, decent at memorising and want an A in one of these subjects at AS.
Bio, Philosophy, Politics, Sociology, English lit, DT , Geo
Everything except English is AQA

I can't rank these in difficulty and pretty much everyone else on the website can't because the difficulty is very dependent on the person studying those subjects. Also, most people won't have studied all of these subjects making it even harder to get an answer.

Biology is not essay based but has very specific mark schemes and geography does have essays in it which need quite a lot of detail in order to do well on them. Those are the only subjects I do at A-level on your list.
Reply 2
Please don't take this ranking too seriously - it's just my own opinion plus some of friends who take the other subjects, too. Every A Level is as hard as each other in their own special way 🙂 Anyway, from easiest to hardest...

DT - very sorry i know nothing about this one! i imagine it has a lot of coursework, but if it's something that you like, then you should be fine at it.

Sociology - standard a level, it's interesting, basic common sense until the last part of the course. of course, lots of content and memorisation, but said content isn't too challenging

English Lit - such a subjective subject. just be good at writing essays + being evaluative in your comments, and hopefully you'll be ok. there is a lot to learn, but as long as you're eloquent you'll make it out alive.

Politics - oh my goodness don't let this one fool you. the content is simple enough, but by heavens there is so much to learn and the exams are very specific. you have to follow a certain structure with your essays, and you can't stray from the ideas in the textbook. it is a very difficult subject to get an A* in. in fact, it's so hard to get above 27/30 in an essay!!

Philosophy + Geography - tied. heard equally compelling arguments from friends that these two subjects are difficult. philosophy because there is so much to learn, and it's such an abstract subject - very difficult to wrap your head around. geography because there's so much to learn, and you have to learn case studies by yourself, and the coursework is tricky

Biology - not a surprise. everyone always complains on how specific the mark scheme is, as well as how much there is to know. you must dedicate a lot of your time to biology if you want to do well.

Quick Reply

Latest