The Student Room Group

Can I be an Olympian?

Scroll to see replies

But how is the OP going to fund/finance all the training that will be needed? She will have to quit her education or her job and devote herself full time to training in her chosen area. How is she going to be able to give up whatever she is doing and have enough money to live on and enough money to pay for all the hours and hours of lessons that will be required?
(edited 7 years ago)
I think if the OP is being deadly serious, the first port of call will need to be her local Athletics Club/ Golf Club or whatever it is. She needs to speak to someone there who will probably need to assess her ability initially to see if she has potential.
Original post by markova21
But how is the OP going to fund/finance all the training that will be needed? She will have to quit her education or her job and devote herself full time to training in her chosen area. How is she going to be able to give up whatever she is doing and have enough money to live on and enough money to pay for all the hours and hours of lessons that will e required?

That's up to OP. You don't know their situation. You don't know that that isn't available to them.

As I've said, a colleague of mine was granted paid leave to get herself into the Paralympics. And it's worked. No reason why that's not possible for someone else. To say out of hand it's impossible, like you did, is ignorant, rude, blunt and wrong.

Pointing out it'll be hard to the point of near-impossiblity is fine.

Stating out of hand that they can't says more about your attitude than theirs.
Original post by Drewski
That's up to OP. You don't know their situation. You don't know that that isn't available to them.

As I've said, a colleague of mine was granted paid leave to get herself into the Paralympics. And it's worked. No reason why that's not possible for someone else. To say out of hand it's impossible, like you did, is ignorant, rude, blunt and wrong.

Pointing out it'll be hard to the point of near-impossiblity is fine.

Stating out of hand that they can't says more about your attitude than theirs.

Yes, but no disrespect to your friend but the Paralympics is not of the same technical standard as the Olympics. Incredible though Paralympians are, they are not in the same league at all.
Original post by Olympian2020
I am a 5ft 8, 10st 2lb, 22 year old female.
Ive been watching the olympics and feeling inspired... i want to go.
I have a theory that if I trained for 4 years at a sport I could get to the tokyo 2020 olympics.
I would consider myself to be quite athletic and relatively fit. Since school ive done athletics, tennis, golf, cheerleading, volleyball and ultimate frisbee at various times in my life.
I know I would have to pour my heart and soul into this, but I am willing to. I want to be a 2020 Olympian.
I need some help... what sport will be most possible for me to compete in?
Thanks

Well, with a username like yours I'd say you're destined for greatness...
Original post by markova21
Yes, but no disrespect to your friend but the Paralympics is not of the same technical standard as the Olympics. Incredible though Paralympians are, they are not in the same league at all.

Same proportions / percentages of people, and the competition is no less fierce. It's all relative.

That's just one anecdote though, there are plenty of others for the Olympics too.
I don't mean to ruin your dreams, but the chances of you being an Olympian, starting at your age, is so close to zero that's it's not worth considering. Don't get your hopes up for something unattainable.

Instead, play your favourite sports, exercise daily, eat healthy, and practice and train consistently. You might be able to compete in a sport at a higher level than right now, and if not, sports are always fun and it's never time wasted.
Reply 27
I can't think of her name, but a British Paralympian actually trained herself in 4 years.
The story was that she celebrated GB getting the rights to host the 2012 Olympics and she had a few drinks too many, so got on a later train, and would get to work late.
She never made it to work on that unfortunate 7th of July.
An islamic terrorist planted one of several bombs, which would later be referred to as the 7/7 bombings in London.
In that moment, she lost her leg, and was very lucky not to lose her life.
And after that she made the resolution to make it to those Olympics as an athlete, and if I do recall correctly won Gold in the Paralympic swimming. ( I might be wrong about the last bit though)

Sorry to disappoint, I was wrong. Sadly although she made it to the Olympics, she did not medal and she was a sitting Volley ball player called Martine Wright.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest