The Student Room Group

Underbite jaw surgery

Hi, i'm 13 years old and have recently been told by my orthodontist that between august and september i will be receiving a letter stating a date for my appointment at a london hospital.

I have an underbite that gives me a lisp and effects me quite a lot . I have have had some xrays and other things done.

At the appointment in the london hospital they will be talking about surgery for my under bite. i know this because my orthodontist told me. Even after searching up about underbite jaw surgery i want to do the surgery but i am scared. I just need some info on what its like and what to prepare. when it happens. No one in my family has an underbite i am the only one i am scared because there's no one that i know that has had to have an underbite jaw surgery before.

Sorry for my bad grammar but just please can anyone give me some info on this
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, i'm 13 years old and have recently been told by my orthodontist that between august and september i will be receiving a letter stating a date for my appointment at a london hospital.

I have an underbite that gives me a lisp and effects me quite a lot . I have have had some xrays and other things done.

At the appointment in the london hospital they will be talking about surgery for my under bite. i know this because my orthodontist told me. Even after searching up about underbite jaw surgery i want to do the surgery but i am scared. I just need some info on what its like and what to prepare. when it happens. No one in my family has an underbite i am the only one i am scared because there's no one that i know that has had to have an underbite jaw surgery before.

Sorry for my bad grammar but just please can anyone give me some info on this

Here's an official guide to the surgery:
http://www.qvh.nhs.uk/download/patient-information-leaflets/a-guide-for-patients-considering-orthognathic-surgery/

And here's an older TSR thread with about 30 pages on the procedures for correcting various types of bite:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1603029

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest