The Student Room Group

Adjustment into target unis NEED ADVICE

im a firm offer holder (AAB conditional) at Sheffield for an Economics BA. While ive practically fallen in love with the uni im constantly told on this forum it is neither target nor semi-target for IB, and would have to do alot to distinguish myself.

I really dont understand how people say this is is the case when on academic rankings on QS, Sheffield is on par/passes a few of the 'semi-targets'

I received my results A*AA and am going to try to get into a top/target uni through adjustment.

Has anyone ever been successfull at doing this? i am under the impression that although i meet the requirements for many/all the courses i am interested in- that my only chance is if others miss their grades who have applied for that course.

also, would i be better off doing a joint degree like politics/economics/history at a G5 or straight econ at a semi-target like manchester?

Scroll to see replies

It sounds stupid but having got A*AA with no teachers/tutors and in the space of less than a year i feel i do deserve a place at a G5, but obviously could never have applied there originally with no predicted grades... it was a miracle i got the offer from sheffield and am sort of reluctant to give up their offer out of a weird sense of loyalty hahah (only offer i got)
Reject them and apply for any degree at a target
Original post by glebp
Reject them and apply for any degree at a target

even if it doesnt have that economics component im looking for?
Original post by Economics-newb
even if it doesnt have that economics component im looking for?

Economics is a worthless theoretical subject, will you actually enjoy it at degree level? It has very little application in the real world. Try to adjust to any degree at a target. I suggest looking into warwick for A&F, or their management degree which has a small economics component.
Original post by glebp
Economics is a worthless theoretical subject, will you actually enjoy it at degree level? It has very little application in the real world. Try to adjust to any degree at a target. I suggest looking into warwick for A&F, or their management degree which has a small economics component.

Been thinking UCL and Warwick, but i am heavily interested in economics... It tends to explain how the world works but would be content to study something like politics or even history if being at the right uni is gonna give me that edge...

would it be worth turning down sheff for the same course at notts/manchester? assuming i have hard luck with the g5...
if I were you I would take a gap year, but that's only because I have the benefit of hindsight. if you're looking for an 'edge' going to sheffield/manchester/notts won't help you.

however neither will going to warwick for that matter - if the most impressive thing on your cv is the fact you went to warwick. pm me if you want some detail
Been thinking UCL and Warwick, but i am heavily interested in economics... It tends to explain how the world works but would be content to study something like politics or even history if being at the right uni is gonna give me that edge...

would it be worth turning down sheff for the same course at notts/manchester? assuming i have hard luck with the g5...

UCL does not to adjustment, nor does it do clearence.

Notts yes, strong semi-target. They might offer you Industrial Economics however. Manchester not so much, they have a poor econ programme, it has been criticized numerous times & I haven't seen any success in their graduates on linkedin, most do a masters do get a spot at BB IB
Original post by glebp
UCL does not to adjustment, nor does it do clearence.

Notts yes, strong semi-target. They might offer you Industrial Economics however. Manchester not so much, they have a poor econ programme, it has been criticized numerous times & I haven't seen any success in their graduates on linkedin, most do a masters do get a spot at BB IB

UCL does adjustment and told me to check on the 18th to see what the situation is. adjustment is for people exceeding their firm offers, they dont considering clearing at all tho
UCL does adjustment and told me to check on the 18th to see what the situation is. adjustment is for people exceeding their firm offers, they dont considering clearing at all tho

Apologies, you are right, competition will be fierce. Defo check with UCL, superb university, being better than warwick in my opinion (international rep) and close proximity to the city
Original post by glebp
Apologies, you are right, competition will be fierce. Defo check with UCL, superb university, being better than warwick in my opinion (international rep) and close proximity to the city

no doubt, its only warwick having a campus swaying me their way first. Competition at both will be brutal and i was told its all first come first serve... its such a shame that because i had no predicted grades/teachers i couldnt get any offers at these sorts of unis... gonna be at a serious disadvantage and will probably be given little choice between courses, im essentially here hoping offers holders for the courses i want fail their conditions :/
im a firm offer holder (AAB conditional) at Sheffield for an Economics BA. While ive practically fallen in love with the uni im constantly told on this forum it is neither target nor semi-target for IB, and would have to do alot to distinguish myself.

I really dont understand how people say this is is the case when on academic rankings on QS, Sheffield is on par/passes a few of the 'semi-targets'

I received my results A*AA and am going to try to get into a top/target uni through adjustment.

Has anyone ever been successfull at doing this? i am under the impression that although i meet the requirements for many/all the courses i am interested in- that my only chance is if others miss their grades who have applied for that course.

also, would i be better off doing a joint degree like politics/economics/history at a G5 or straight econ at a semi-target like manchester?

Either go to a semi-target now, or bite the bullet and reapply to a mix of target and semi-target unis.

As I've said already the choice is yours, and we're not the ones who will be making the decision for you I'm afraid.

Fyi, econ is not a pre-req, just pick any degree that you'd want to study (which I'm guessing is Econ from your username) for the next 3-4 years of your life.

Good luck

Edit: my friend is at Sheffield, yes maybe a couple people get into the field every year but why would you put yourself in a position where you'll have minimal exposure to firms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman

Edit: my friend is at Sheffield, yes maybe a couple people get into the field every year but why would you put yourself in a position where you'll have minimal exposure to firms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

in what sense? by going to sheffield? or by pursuing a less relevant course at a G5

i dont wanna wait till the next ucas cycle, rushed my A levels in less than a year with no teachers and made it... also id be stuck in the mud with litte to do while i wait- for meaningful work exp id need to be on a course to begin with
no doubt, its only warwick having a campus swaying me their way first. Competition at both will be brutal and i was told its all first come first serve... its such a shame that because i had no predicted grades/teachers i couldnt get any offers at these sorts of unis... gonna be at a serious disadvantage and will probably be given little choice between courses, im essentially here hoping offers holders for the courses i want fail their conditions :/

I have 8 C's at GCSE bro, Ive got offers from Warwick and Notts - im sure you'll get in with those grades, don't worry
in what sense? by going to sheffield? or by pursuing a less relevant course at a G5

i dont wanna wait till the next ucas cycle, rushed my A levels in less than a year with no teachers and made it... also id be stuck in the mud with litte to do while i wait- for meaningful work exp id need to be on a course to begin with

According to my bud, most people at Sheffield doing econ want to go into accounting, don't know anything about finance and very few if any I-banks actively come to scout around for talent. The exception being maybe the handful of students involved in the investment fund, they've all done alright wrt finance gigs.

'Less relevant' isn't a thing, pursue any degree at a target/semi-target and you'll have the exposure, a solid support network and more favourable odds of having your CV looked at. That's just the way it works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Do whatever subject you find most interesting (it won't make a blind bit of difference whatever you choose) at a target if not a semi-target, attending either of these will give you the best chance. If you can't get into a target any semi-target be it notts/manchester will give you pretty much an equal chance at IB, but it won't matter if you have nothing else on your CV even if you did manage to get into a target.
Original post by glebp
I have 8 C's at GCSE bro, Ive got offers from Warwick and Notts - im sure you'll get in with those grades, don't worry

awesome, but adjustment is chaotic and i cant get my hopes too high.. i am scrambling for vacancies essentially
Original post by Princepieman

'Less relevant' isn't a thing, pursue any degree at a target/semi-target and you'll have the exposure, a solid support network and more favourable odds of having your CV looked at. That's just the way it works.

Posted from TSR Mobile

there we go then, seems to be the consensus, just gotta pray someone somewhere missed the grades xD
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Do whatever subject you find most interesting (it won't make a blind bit of difference whatever you choose) at a target if not a semi-target, attending either of these will give you the best chance. If you can't get into a target any semi-target be it notts/manchester will give you pretty much an equal chance at IB, but it won't matter if you have nothing else on your CV even if you did manage to get into a target.

The work experience is something ill be going for relentless probably during all holiday periods... i just want to hedge my bets by starting off with the right academic qualification
Have a gap year if adjustment doesn't work out.

One year in the grand scheme of things is tiny, give yourself the biggest chance and fully utilise your fantastic grades.

I don't know about your age etc. but a year out doesn't have to be a bad thing, and you don't have to get 'relevant' experience during it to impress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending