The Student Room Group

Physics at Kings or Computer science and Mathematics at royal Holloway

I’ve gotten my uni offers, but I need help on picking an insurance.
I applied to 2 physics courses and 3 computer science courses, and it has come down to either physics at KCL or CS at RHUL as my insurance choice. I want to get into Data science/machine learning/software engineering/investment banking so which degree should I choose if It comes down to me choosing my insurance?
Well, neither is really ideal for investment banking, although KCL better than RHUL. Investment banking doesn't care what you studied, only where - that is, whether you studied at a target uni (and neither are target unis, although I believe KCL is commonly considered a semi-target).

Beyond that, they're very different courses. Both could lead you into data science or potentially software engineering (I know physics grads who have gone into both), although CS is more obviously related.

What do you actually want to study for the next 3 years? It's all well and good to plan for a career, but if you aren't going to make it through the degree to that then your plans aren't that well laid! Is there one you have a greater personal/intellectual interest in?
In addition to the fantastic (as usual!) advice above, KCL's location is quite different to Egham. You may wish to factor in what type of environment you want to live in and whether you'd feel happy living in Egham/surrounding areas for 3 years or not, when making a decision :ninja:
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Well, neither is really ideal for investment banking, although KCL better than RHUL. Investment banking doesn't care what you studied, only where - that is, whether you studied at a target uni (and neither are target unis, although I believe KCL is commonly considered a semi-target).

Beyond that, they're very different courses. Both could lead you into data science or potentially software engineering (I know physics grads who have gone into both), although CS is more obviously related.

What do you actually want to study for the next 3 years? It's all well and good to plan for a career, but if you aren't going to make it through the degree to that then your plans aren't that well laid! Is there one you have a greater personal/intellectual interest in?

I do both physics and computing A level, so I have an equal passion for both. My top choice is Warwick for Physics, but I just want advice on what I should choose as an insurance if I don’t get in. Which course would work in my favour for tech/banking roles. I know investment banking is competitive, making Warwick my only viable choice, but I’ve I was to go with the other 2, how are my chances looking.
Original post by Hiim
I do both physics and computing A level, so I have an equal passion for both. My top choice is Warwick for Physics, but I just want advice on what I should choose as an insurance if I don’t get in. Which course would work in my favour for tech/banking roles. I know investment banking is competitive, making Warwick my only viable choice, but I’ve I was to go with the other 2, how are my chances looking.

Warwick is a target uni so probably the best bet for investment banking. Your subject is irrelevant for investment banking as noted.

For the other roles which uni you go to isn't really that important - your ability to pass leetcode, do well in assessment centre exercises, your portfolio of coding projects on github and what relevant work experience you have are what matter. Your subject wouldn't necessarily need to be CS although it's convenient to have the background to build up a portfolio of self-directed projects rather than learning a lot as you go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending