The Student Room Group

Essay writing services = cheating?

Essay writing services could be facing criminalisation.

Have you ever used an essay writing service or know anyone who has?

If you think they're a bad idea Sky News have been in touch and want a student voice to talk about how "essay mills" are a bad thing.

A way for rich kids to buy their qualifications?

If you have strong opinions on this email me [email protected] or reply to this thread - i'd love to hear your thoughts!

They want to film in London tomorrow, travel will be covered.

MarleyZ :h:

Scroll to see replies

Yeh I think that they're definitely a bad idea! People should get marked on their own work, and surely using these services is still technically plagiarism...!

In any case, there's no way I'd actually even trust these services, and I'd be worried that they'd plagiarise and I'd get in trouble about it...
Original post by MarleyZ

If you think they're a bad idea Sky News have been in touch and want a student voice to talk about how "essay mills" are a bad thing.

If you have strong opinions on this email me [email protected] or reply to this thread - i'd love to hear your thoughts!

This is ridiculous! I didn't even know that Essay writing services existed before now and had to google them to discover that they are organisations which write your essays for you. Of course that's cheating. To say it's not would be like saying performance enhancing drug use in sports isn't cheating, or even that getting someone to dress up and compete as you isn't cheating. Ugh, I'm really annoyed now.
These companies can go and :h::h::h::h: themselves.
They rightly deserve to be criminalised. I see no counter arguments for their existence whatsoever and I don't know why such provision is still allowed.
Reply 4
Cannot fathom how this is even a question.

Regardless, the consequences of being caught for plagiarism at University are just too important and never worth it
Original post by Platopus
This is ridiculous! I didn't even know that Essay writing services existed before now and had to google them to discover that they are organisations which write your essays for you. Of course that's cheating. To say it's not would be like saying performance enhancing drug use in sports isn't cheating, or even that getting someone to dress up and compete as you isn't cheating. Ugh, I'm really annoyed now.

Whenever I have allowed advertisements on my Facebook feed - they have been principally those of essay writing services. Which I suppose is interesting, that it is apparently condoned in some way by Facebook.
Original post by hellodave5
Whenever I have allowed advertisements on my Facebook feed - they have been principally those of essay writing services. Which I suppose is interesting, that it is apparently condoned in some way by Facebook.

The appalling thing, is that the sites I saw offering their services seemed to suggest it was a perfectly fine thing to do! You'd think they would at least have the grace to acknowledge it's cheating.
Good! They're absolutely terrible no matter how much they market themselves as being 'model essay' producers. When in actual fact, they know exactly what their essay will be used for. Hope they all get criminalised.
Essay writing services are a thing? Honestly it's unfair having someone else do your work for you and still get rewarded as if they did it themselves.

It actually reminds me of the time when my class got art homework in high school. I spent hours doing that piece of artwork and what did my friend do? Nothing. She got her older sister (an art student) to do the artwork for her and ended up getting a really good grade.
Original post by Platopus
The appalling thing, is that the sites I saw offering their services seemed to suggest it was a perfectly fine thing to do! You'd think they would at least have the grace to acknowledge it's cheating.

Original post by iEthan
Good! They're absolutely terrible no matter how much they market themselves as being 'model essay' producers. When in actual fact, they know exactly what their essay will be used for. Hope they all get criminalised.

Aye, on their sites they make very clear that what they will provide for you will be unique. Some seem to be more implcit than others, but some are very explicit in that they will write you for instance 'a merit grade masters dissertation in psychology' for £1431 over 28 days.
(https://www.ukessays.com/quote.php)

Ivory Research claim to have completed almost 44,000 pieces of work on their website.

On their reviews website there is the following comment and response (though generally positive, but less explicit):
- "I cannot begin to tell you how bad these guys are. I ordered 2 essays of 2:1 standard and got a 3rd in one and failed one. When I contacted the customer service, they took me round in circles and said they don't guarantee a grade. They didn't even refund me my money. You rather do it yourself and save some money. Literally stay away! "
- "We are sorry to hear about the problems you have had. If you are able to provide us with your order number we will do our best to resolve the issues you have had.".
Is this even a question? It’s definitely cheating. How can any reasonable person think otherwise? Rich students too lazy to pull their own weight pay for some other person to complete their school work and assignments? I don't even fathom how the companies providing this service are allowed to operate
Some sites try to sugar-coat and call themselves 'academic tutors' or that they are offering 'guidance' and 'academic help',but they know nearly all the students coming to them use those services to cheat.They just take the money then look the other way with a wink.How unethical
Why would you want to live on the merits of someone else's work. Writing a good piece of work yourself is always rewarding :biggrin:
Original post by MarleyZ

They are obviously cheating because the work you are handing in is not your own.
They are big business. Used correctly then you would just buy your way through if you have enough money and can blag a bit. You would get through the exams by spending heavily on private tutors, but thats less contriversial.
It technically amounts to academic fraud.
I think it's important that you are true to yourself.

You want to get the grade based on your own merits.

these writing services, however, are the same as getting your personal home tutor to write an essays for you.

Banning these essay writing services will not decrease the amount of people who cheat, people will go for alternatives e.g home tutoring
Original post by MarleyZ

These services are no different from getting your friend, home tutor or sister to write your essay for you, if they are experienced enough.

If anything, they just cost more since they are a third party.

That being said, having anyone fully write an essay for you is cheating because its not your work and you are taking credit for someone else's work.
I agree, its a disgrace that this is what the education system has come to. However if the services are criminalized, it would only make the matters worse. Don't you think? Plus, the services are available in multiple countries, and are easily accessible for international students. Quite a predicament there.
Reply 18
Reminds me of Suits :biggrin:
Quickest way to fail your degree. Unis are very clued up, have all the software to check for these essays, and hit very hard at anyone they catch.

How would you explain that sort of cheating - and total failure - to your family?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending