The Student Room Group

How important is a personal statement for masters

So I want to apply for a masters and I have a personal statement I feel like I’ve spoken about all the points they want me to, but I have a bad track record with essays where I think they’re good but I then get a bad grade for it so I’m worried mine isn’t good enough for them.

The uni wants a min 2:2 grade but I’m gonna get a low 2:1
Reply 1
Original post by Zee00
So I want to apply for a masters and I have a personal statement I feel like I’ve spoken about all the points they want me to, but I have a bad track record with essays where I think they’re good but I then get a bad grade for it so I’m worried mine isn’t good enough for them.

What will the Masters be in? Have you sought any feedback from others on your personal statement to see what their initial impressions are? If you feel as if you have a "bad track record" with essays, you should be looking to see if there are any common pitfalls that you make in those essays in order to not make the same types of errors in the future.
Original post by Zee00

Moved to the postgrad forum :smile:

Also, a 2:1 is better than a 2:2
Original post by Zee00

(I work in postgrad admissions and part of my role is scoring PS's)

The honest answer is that the PS can be critical.

The vast majority of applicants will meet the degree requirement, so the PS is one of the key ways to distinguish and profile applicants.

However, if you have taken the time to review their PS requirements and have addressed most/all of them, then you should be in a good position. It's not a writing competition; you're addressing the scoring criteria which are hinted at on their How to Apply/FAQ/What to include in your PS pages.
Original post by Admit-One
(I work in postgrad admissions and part of my role is scoring PS's)

The honest answer is that the PS can be critical.

The vast majority of applicants will meet the degree requirement, so the PS is one of the key ways to distinguish and profile applicants.

However, if you have taken the time to review their PS requirements and have addressed most/all of them, then you should be in a good position. It's not a writing competition; you're addressing the scoring criteria which are hinted at on their How to Apply/FAQ/What to include in your PS pages.

Hello guys, I am planning to apply for the MSc program, and I want to write a personal statement. I need some help or any suggestions on whether I have to write it on my own or if it is best to take PS writing services from pros. Any help would be highly appreciated.
Original post by vidhyaasagar
Hello guys, I am planning to apply for the MSc program, and I want to write a personal statement. I need some help or any suggestions on whether I have to write it on my own or if it is best to take PS writing services from pros. Any help would be highly appreciated.

I would highly recommend writing the statement by yourself without using any external services.

‘Coached’ statements are formulaic and not engaging to read. They are easy to spot and tend to be low scoring. As above, there should be several sources of info for what to include and I don’t think these services offer any insight that you can’t obtain for free elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending