The Student Room Group

Adjustment into target unis NEED ADVICE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Conzy210
Have a gap year if adjustment doesn't work out.

One year in the grand scheme of things is tiny, give yourself the biggest chance and fully utilise your fantastic grades.

I don't know about your age etc. but a year out doesn't have to be a bad thing, and you don't have to get 'relevant' experience during it to impress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

im only 18 but dont wanna waste a year... hell i rushed my A levels in 6 months and pulled it off, might aswell take another 3 if i did that xD even if i went semi-target that year couldve been spent on a masters at a target later on. the trade off just doesnt seem worth it to me. ill have to be relentless with the unis in when i call

would it be worth losing sheff for nottingham/manchester/kings? assuming i dont manage with the G5
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Economics-newb
im only 18 but dont wanna waste a year... hell i rushed my A levels in 6 months and pulled it off, might aswell take another 3 if i did that xD even if i went semi-target that year couldve been spent on a masters at a target later on. the trade off just doesnt seem worth it to me. ill have to relentless with the unis

would it be worth losing sheff for nottingham/manchester/kings? assuming i dont manage with the G5

1. it's not a waste
2. a masters is not necessary in the slightest apart from for pure interest

3. yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
1. it's not a waste
2. a masters is not necessary in the slightest apart from for pure interest

3. yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol what luck do you think id have with LSE if i got a maths tutor this time, plus taught myself say geography and applied with 5 A*/As? plus some mediocre 'work' exp that obviously came through connections.

Surely taking a year out with not much to do besides additional a levels and menial work experience would seem ridiculous, or dismissed on account of them being done in 2 different sittings a year apart

also- masters necessary or not, it would allow me to then have the brand name of a target uni at the end of 4 years
(edited 7 years ago)
im only 18 but dont wanna waste a year... hell i rushed my A levels in 6 months and pulled it off, might aswell take another 3 if i did that xD

My honest advice is that it really isn't wasting a year.

I'm not looking to go into IB, and instead will be doing a TC at a Magic Circle commercial law firm. Commercial law isn't quite as restrictive when it comes to your university choice, but from my experience (2 internships at MC firms, 10+ Open Days at City firms), the same universities appear repeatedly and I've honestly only ever met people from around 10 universities when at law firms, and the majority of those attend Oxbridge. Your odds will be significantly better if you get into a target university, and I imagine still better by some way if you attend a semi-target.

I go to a university not fantastically represented in commercial law, and yes I've got a TC so it isn't impossible, but I know so many at my university who struggle to get anywhere whilst my internships have been 75% Oxbridge. Make your life easier and be one of the majority who attend a target opposed to one of the minority who make it from somewhere like Sheffield.

Also, I took a year out between A-levels and university. I appreciate that you don't want to waste time, but for me it was the best and most useful year of my life. I worked in a bar full-time and travelled. Both experiences made me a more interesting, mature, driven individual and my experiences when working in a bar have always seemed to impress in interviews. There is no reason you can't do the same in your year off, and in the grand scheme a year is literally nothing. Imagine being a year older but landing your dream job, or a year younger and unemployed.
My honest advice is that it really isn't wasting a year.

I'm not looking to go into IB, and instead will be doing a TC at a Magic Circle commercial law firm. Commercial law isn't quite as restrictive when it comes to your university choice, but from my experience (2 internships at MC firms, 10+ Open Days at City firms), the same universities appear repeatedly and I've honestly only ever met people from around 10 universities when at law firms, and the majority of those attend Oxbridge. Your odds will be significantly better if you get into a target university, and I imagine still better by some way if you attend a semi-target.

I go to a university not fantastically represented in commercial law, and yes I've got a TC so it isn't impossible, but I know so many at my university who struggle to get anywhere whilst my internships have been 75% Oxbridge. Make your life easier and be one of the majority who attend a target opposed to one of the minority who make it from somewhere like Sheffield.

Also, I took a year out between A-levels and university. I appreciate that you don't want to waste time, but for me it was the best and most useful year of my life. I worked in a bar full-time and travelled. Both experiences made me a more interesting, mature, driven individual and my experiences when working in a bar have always seemed to impress in interviews. There is no reason you can't do the same in your year off, and in the grand scheme a year is literally nothing. Imagine being a year older but landing your dream job, or a year younger and unemployed.

thats alot to think about... i really feel as though ive been screwed out of an opportunity by not having any predicted grades, having to resort to the essential equivalent of clearing when i worked damn hard, entirely off my own back.

but that right there with my grades is my selling point, if instead it were seen i quit halfway through sixth form TWO (rather than one) years ago- then it seizes to be in any way impressive
(edited 7 years ago)
lol what luck do you think id have with LSE if i got a maths tutor this time, plus taught myself say geography and applied with 5 A*/As? plus some mediocre 'work' exp that obviously came through connections.

Surely taking a year out with not much to do besides additional a levels and menial work experience would seem ridiculous, or dismissed on account of them being done in 2 different sittings a year apart

also- masters necessary or not, it would allow me to then have the brand name of a target uni at the end of 4 years

You would have a decent shot, but I wouldn't just focus on LSE, you are virtually guaranteed to get a decent place at any of the targets/semi-targets with your current grades + doing maths during the year out.

Connections make things happen man, don't look down on using them to get work experience, that's how most of the business world runs. And why networking is emphasised so much.

Or you could travel, learn a new skill, work part/full time to get a taste of hard work in a non cushy setting, build up some character, read more, meet new people. Etc, the list is endless and the opportunities are all there - all that's stopping you is your imagination.

Why would you drop extra thousands on the 'target brand' for only a year when you can just do it right the first time and go through the finance career funnel? That seems like a waste of time to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
thats alot to think about... i really feel as though ive been screwed out of an opportunity by not having any predicted grades, having to resort to the essential equivalent of clearing when i worked damn hard, entirely off my own back.

but that right there with my grades is my selling point, if instead it were seen i quit halfway through sixth form TWO (rather than one) years ago- then it seizes to be in any way impressive

Don't let yourself feel like a victim. You have the opportunity to apply for any university you want now, with fantastic grades that you've achieved genuinely against the odds.

I don't understand your last point though... Why will anyone think it took you an extra year to get your A-levels because you have a year out? You will list your A-levels and the year you achieved your grades, and it will be clear you are on a gap year.

I reckon it also looks more impressive to have self taught A-levels and ended up at a target than Sheffield, but that isn't based on any real knowledge of IB's recruitment process.
Original post by Princepieman
You would have a decent shot, but I wouldn't just focus on LSE, you are virtually guaranteed to get a decent place at any of the targets/semi-targets with your current grades + doing maths during the year out.

Connections make things happen man, don't look down on using them to get work experience, that's how most of the business world runs. And why networking is emphasised so much.

Or you could travel, learn a new skill, work part/full time to see to get a taste of hard work in a non cushy setting, build up some character, read more, meet new people. Etc, the list is endless and the opportunities are all there - all that's stopping you is your imagination.

Why would you drop extra thousands on the 'target brand' for only a year when you can just do it right the first time and go through the finance career funnel? That seems like a waste of time to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i completely agree and it just feels like im selling myself short even going for a semi target asking for no more than AAB and making exceptions for firm offer holders well below that.

my hope now is that someone has fallen short of their marks on a degree im interested in (ive found 2 at both ucl and warwick) and that im the first on the phone to replace them.
Don't let yourself feel like a victim. You have the opportunity to apply for any university you want now, with fantastic grades that you've achieved genuinely against the odds.

I don't understand your last point though... Why will anyone think it took you an extra year to get your A-levels because you have a year out? You will list your A-levels and the year you achieved your grades, and it will be clear you are on a gap year.

I reckon it also looks more impressive to have self taught A-levels and ended up at a target than Sheffield, but that isn't based on any real knowledge of IB's recruitment process.

not so much a victim, its more that i overlooked the importance of predicted grades and got cocky, thinking if i started my AS in august and sat them in october id have something to show for myself. 2 months proved too little for 4 new subjects and got BBCD, hence only one offer...

this was already a year out for me in a sense, i feel another would be too much is all
not so much a victim, its more that i overlooked the importance of predicted grades and got cocky, thinking if i started my AS in august and sat them in october id have something to show for myself. 2 months proved too little for 4 new subjects and got BBCD, hence only one offer...

this was already a year out for me in a sense, i feel another would be too much is all

I can't make the decision for you, as it really is up to you. I've put forward my advice, but if you choose to ignore then I genuinely wish you good luck. Maybe try to find some statistics though about how many places in IB are filled by various targets/semi-targets, I'm sure they're available.

My last bit of advice is to think long-term. You're 18, another year is insignificant in terms of how long you will spend working post university.
im a firm offer holder (AAB conditional) at Sheffield for an Economics BA. While ive practically fallen in love with the uni im constantly told on this forum it is neither target nor semi-target for IB, and would have to do alot to distinguish myself.

I really dont understand how people say this is is the case when on academic rankings on QS, Sheffield is on par/passes a few of the 'semi-targets'

I received my results A*AA and am going to try to get into a top/target uni through adjustment.

Has anyone ever been successfull at doing this? i am under the impression that although i meet the requirements for many/all the courses i am interested in- that my only chance is if others miss their grades who have applied for that course.

also, would i be better off doing a joint degree like politics/economics/history at a G5 or straight econ at a semi-target like manchester?

As they say, "degrees are the new A level", to really stand out you're likely to have to do a Masters. If you like the look of Sheffield and the course is what you want, then go for it - you can always "trade up" for a second degree if all goes well.
I can't make the decision for you, as it really is up to you. I've put forward my advice, but if you choose to ignore then I genuinely wish you good luck. Maybe try to find some statistics though about how many places in IB are filled by various targets/semi-targets, I'm sure they're available.

My last bit of advice is to think long-term. You're 18, another year is insignificant in terms of how long you will spend working post university.

i appreciate it and agree with you, but also getting out of home is another consideration
Original post by Ringstone
As they say, "degrees are the new A level", to really stand out you're likely to have to do a Masters. If you like the look of Sheffield and the course is what you want, then go for it - you can always "trade up" for a second degree if all goes well.

This is incorrect for this career area

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take a gap year and reapply to all the targets.

Good luck.
anybody have any idea of the courses offered by ucl through adjustment
Original post by tazza ma razza
anybody have any idea of the courses offered by ucl through adjustment

I think chemistry might do. Its usually obscure courses that ucl offers adjustment for. Are you having doubts about warwick?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gladiatorsword
I think chemistry might do. Its usually obscure courses that ucl offers adjustment for. Are you having doubts about warwick?

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha yhhhhh going through grade boundaries now, i know i haven't got an a* in maths, 3 ums short in c4 ( :frown: ) Going through further maths now.

Any idea if econ and business w/ east european studies is an option?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending