The Student Room Group

Should I try graduate or foundation medicine or give up?

A little background information. The past few years have been kind of difficult for me. The death of my friend put me in a very negative mindset when it came to revising, I just couldn't do it. During my the year of my AS exams I had to move 5-6 times during/around my exam period.

Anyway, I got CCD in AS and salvaged BBC in A2.

I was thinking of doing Radiography and applying as a graduate or applying to foundation medicine, which I am eligible for.

I know most require BBB but there are some which require BBC

Am I wasting my time? I'm really confused as what to do right now
Reply 1
Original post by rolla01
A little background information. The past few years have been kind of difficult for me. The death of my friend put me in a very negative mindset when it came to revising, I just couldn't do it. During my the year of my AS exams I had to move 5-6 times during/around my exam period.

I was thinking of doing Radiography and applying as a graduate or applying to foundation medicine, which I am eligible for.

Hi

I am sorry it has been difficult for you.

There's some info on foundation courses here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

Both options are open to you - it just depends what you want to do. There may be an argument for doing a biomedical science degree rather than a radiography degree - are you actually interested in radiography?
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
Hi

I am sorry it has been difficult for you.

There's some info on foundation courses here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

Both options are open to you - it just depends what you want to do. There may be an argument for doing a biomedical science degree rather than a radiography degree - are you actually interested in radiography?

No not really, I'm just not sure what universities would accept me with the grades I have for biomed
Reply 3
Original post by rolla01
No not really, I'm just not sure what universities would accept me with the grades I have for biomed

Take a look on UCAS clearing search - http://search.ucas.com
Reply 4
Original post by Beska
Take a look on UCAS clearing search - http://search.ucas.com

I didn't apply for UCAS this year and trying to go through clearing now would be too difficult. I was wondering if I could apply to both with a medicine personal statement? I guess I would have to contact the universities to see if they will allow it but generally is this allowed in biomed?
Reply 5
Original post by rolla01
I didn't apply for UCAS this year and trying to go through clearing now would be too difficult. I was wondering if I could apply to both with a medicine personal statement? I guess I would have to contact the universities to see if they will allow it but generally is this allowed in biomed?

Generally most universities require an application through UCAS.

This would involve setting up a UCAS application (inc reference) and paying the fee.

The other way is to apply via a 'Record of Prior Acceptance' - this means you apply directly to the university. Not all places will do this. The only way to do it is to ask them if they will let you apply via this route.
Reply 6
Original post by Beska
Generally most universities require an application through UCAS.

This would involve setting up a UCAS application (inc reference) and paying the fee.

The other way is to apply via a 'Record of Prior Acceptance' - this means you apply directly to the university. Not all places will do this. The only way to do it is to ask them if they will let you apply via this route.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm currently taking a gap year and applying for 2017 entry
Original post by rolla01
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm currently taking a gap year and applying for 2017 entry

Hi Rolla, I got DEE at A2 then went on to do biomedical science, then graduate entry. It's possible! I would pick something that you are genuinely interested in if you do decide on this route, getting a 2:i in a degree you're not interested in 100% will be a challenge.

If you're eligible for foundation courses, I would look into this option first as it's financially much more feasible.
Original post by rolla01
Am I wasting my time?

time.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rolla01

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

Some info on widening access places. They're a good option if you're eligible and less competitive than post grad. (But more than 5 year courses)
Reply 10
Hi rolla01. I would definitely, definitely look at the Clinical Sciences course at the University of Bradford. There is the option to transfer into Year 1 of Medicine at leeds after completing the foundation year and also the option of transferring into Year 2 of Medicine after completing Year 1 Clin Sci. I've just transferred into Year 2 at Leeds.
You just need to meet 2 of their widening entry criteria on their website and BCC at A-level (Think they are in clearing this year). All the best, J.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I'm also thinking about applying for medicine with a foundation year.
These include kings college (ABB)
Nottingham (CCC)
Bristol (BBC)
Southampton (BBC)
However, do I have to live near these areas to apply for a foundation year?
Original post by Kingz_DD99
Hi, I'm also thinking about applying for medicine with a foundation year.
These include kings college (ABB)
Nottingham (CCC)
Bristol (BBC)
Southampton (BBC)
However, do I have to live near these areas to apply for a foundation year?

Some of them yes, some of them no. You'll need to research each one :yes:

Southampton no, you don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending