The Student Room Group

Help me get through this! Missed offer

The story is:

Bad, bad extenuating circumstances at AS. Dropped visually based A Levels ( Chem, Bio)

Do remaining 2 Eng Lit and RE AS. got 98% UMS. 97% UMS. Applied to Cambridge for English. Got in. Missed A* in English ( B in exam after working really hard. In my AS exam I got 96% UMS. In both years coursework I got 100% UMS).

Cambridge rejects me.

Now I've got 2 As. But a strong desire and will to go to a good uni.... Also really heartbroken I didn't A* in English, always been my best subject. Feel like I've been stripped of my only talent. Getting poor scoring exam remarked.

What do I do now ? I'm going to do a couple more a levels, privately. How do I arrange this? Can I apply to Durham/ Oxford/ UCL/ LSE ? Any chance? I feel like I'm good enough for these unis, I had offers from Cambridge, UCL, St. Andrews, Exeter. Now I have nothing :frown: But not for long, I'm going to work really hard to make sure I get A*s in the a levels I do next year. But will unis be able to trust me to get those grades with the grades I have currently ?

6A*2A1B1C GCSE ( Maths A, English literature, and language A*, Bio/Chem/Phys A*)

Every tiny bit of advice is appreciated, so if you have anything to say please say it! Will give me some hope so I can begin to love school again... :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OriginalLifelin
The story is:

Bad, bad extenuating circumstances at AS. Dropped visually based A Levels ( Chem, Bio)

Do remaining 2 Eng Lit and RE AS. got 98% UMS. 97% UMS. Applied to Cambridge for English. Got in. Missed A* in English ( B in exam after working really hard. In my AS exam I got 96% UMS. In both years coursework I got 100% UMS).

Cambridge rejects me.

Now I've got 2 As. But a strong desire and will to go to a good uni.... Also really heartbroken I didn't A* in English, always been my best subject. Feel like I've been stripped of my only talent. Getting poor scoring exam remarked.

What do I do now ? I'm going to do a couple more a levels, privately. How do I arrange this? Can I apply to Durham/ Oxford/ UCL/ LSE ? Any chance? I feel like I'm good enough for these unis, I had offers from Cambridge, UCL, St. Andrews, Exeter. Now I have nothing :frown: But not for long, I'm going to work really hard to make sure I get A*s in the a levels I do next year. But will unis be able to trust me to get those grades with the grades I have currently ?

6A*2A1B1C GCSE ( Maths A, English literature, and language A*, Bio/Chem/Phys A*)

???????
I'd definitely say call up those Unis and ask them about it - explain your circumstances and find out if they'd be willing to take you on if you went away on got those extra private A-Levels.

My top advice here would be not to worry! You've gotten amazing scores and two solid A's. Those alone could get you into a number of good Unis. If you want the best, just work as hard as you have been on your new A-Levels and most top-tier Unis like Oxford and Cambridge may be interested in taking you eventually!
The story is:

Cambridge rejects me.

You have the grades for Oxford, but you need to make sure that they'll accept A-Levels completed over three or four years. Do you plan to do a fast-track A-Level next year? In that case I wouldn't foresee Oxford having a problem with your application.*
Original post by FluffyFalcon
I'd definitely say call up those Unis and ask them about it - explain your circumstances and find out if they'd be willing to take you on if you went away on got those extra private A-Levels.

My top advice here would be not to worry! You've gotten amazing scores and two solid A's. Those alone could get you into a number of good Unis. If you want the best, just work as hard as you have been on your new A-Levels and most top-tier Unis like Oxford and Cambridge may be interested in taking you eventually!

Thank you. I'm not feeling worried, more depressed. I worked really, really hard. I'm thinking even if I apply in 2018 at least I'll join uni eventually!
Original post by colourtheory
You have the grades for Oxford, but you need to make sure that they'll accept A-Levels completed over three or four years. Do you plan to do a fast-track A-Level next year? In that case I wouldn't foresee Oxford having a problem with your application.*

Yeah do them in one year
The story is:

Cambridge rejects me.

Although it can be disheartening not ending up at your dream place or your ambition might be blighted by something; there are plenty other good unis aside from Oxbridge.

Now you have an estimated of your grades, you need to be a lot more realistic in terms of looking at unis with lower offering grades like AAB-BBB unis.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Although it can be disheartening not ending up at your dream place or your ambition might be blighted by something; there are plenty other good unis aside from Oxbridge.

Now you have an estimated of your grades, you need to be a lot more realistic in terms of looking at unis with lower offering grades like AAB-BBB unis.

I've not got any predicted grades right now, and what if I A* the a levels I do next year?
(edited 7 years ago)
I've not got any predicted grades right now, and what if I A* the a levels I do next year?

Yes I know you won't have any predicted grades right now. But since you were 6 marks off a B, your teachers might predict you an A.

I don't understand the last clause?

You can't be predicted an A* unless you achieve 90% at AS and 80-90% at A2 in all your units.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Yes I know you won't have any predicted grades right now. But since you were 6 marks off a B, your teachers might predict you an A.

I don't understand the last clause?

You can't be predicted an A* unless you achieve 90% at AS and 80-90% at A2 in all your units.

I never said anything about how many marks of a B I was? In English I got 90% UMS overall, with a B in one exam. I've just finished my A2s.
In the new A Levels I do, I'll do AS and A2 in one year. In different subjects. Plus I'll be doing it privately, so can't they predict whatever they like?

When would it be suitable to call?
When would it be suitable to call?

Straight away if you can! That way you can begin planning what you're going to do well in advance. Have a notepad and pen with you so that you can take notes. Be sure to ask questions! :smile:
Straight away if you can! That way you can begin planning what you're going to do well in advance. Have a notepad and pen with you so that you can take notes. Be sure to ask questions! :smile:

Right now?! Aren't they in the middle of all the other stuff going on? Clearing etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Right now?! Aren't they in the middle of all the other stuff going on? Clearing etc.

The idea is to ring General Enquiries or the Admissions lines. Obviously everyone handling Clearing or Adjustment-related calls are on the Clearing/Adjustment lines.

Thanks ! I'll give it a go. Just got told I didn't make the summer pool. But got a really nice email from Cambridge admissions people, like extra sweet and kind...

Everyone.. Apply to trinity hall it's the best college !
I never said anything about how many marks of a B I was? In English I got 90% UMS overall, with a B in one exam. I've just finished my A2s.
In the new A Levels I do, I'll do AS and A2 in one year. In different subjects. Plus I'll be doing it privately, so can't they predict whatever they like?

Wrong thread sweetie - been a hectic 48 hours!

They'll predict what is most reasonable based on your AS results and your A2 autumn assessments.

Quick Reply

Latest