The Student Room Group

Further Maths bad results.. do i cash in?

I did Maths with AQA and Further Maths with Edexcel. However Edexcel hasnt given an overall grade for further maths because i need to show them my AQA maths grade so I cant cash it in yet. If I count up the marks I would overall get a C in Further Maths. I did FM resits this year and If i count up the marks I get an A in AS modules.... Should I just declare the AS modules and not the A2 ones? Because some of the modules I did for FM can technically be used for maths as well so any way to get around this? E.g. If I say that I did M1 for Maths, then I only got 5 FM units so i cant get full A level maths grade and only can get the AS grade.

I did good in: FP1, S2, M2, did alright in M1
Did bad in: FP2, D2
Reply 1
Why on earth did you split Maths and FM between 2 different boards? I don't understand what you've said about having to show Edexcel your AQA grade - the units matter but not the grade and this could all have been sorted way before Results Day. That aside, the FM units can't be used for Maths as they are with a different board. If you haven't declared that you are taking FM no one will care if you don't get an FM grade, if you have then you're really going to have to cash it in. If you don't then I advise against lying about the reason.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
Why on earth did you split Maths and FM between 2 different boards? I don't understand what you've said about having to show Edexcel your AQA grade - the units matter but not the grade and this could all have been sorted way before Results Day. That aside, the FM units can't be used for Maths as they are with a different board. If you haven't declared that you are taking FM no one will care if you don't get an FM grade, if you have then you're really going to have to cash it in. If you don't then I advise against lying about the reason.

Someone said Edexcel Fm would be easier and I couldnt do FM in my college anyways so I had to choose some board and edexcel said it would be alright. I have to tell edexcel ive done maths as they cant award me a grade for FM without me doing maths. What im trying to say is I could say the module M2 or M1 ive done for edexcel maths as they havent grouped them all up as FM modules if you get what i mean. They only see it as 6 separate modules and hence cant award me an overall grade for it.
Reply 3
Original post by Kkk1
Someone said Edexcel Fm would be easier and I couldnt do FM in my college anyways so I had to choose some board and edexcel said it would be alright. I have to tell edexcel ive done maths as they cant award me a grade for FM without me doing maths. What im trying to say is I could say the module M2 or M1 ive done for edexcel maths as they havent grouped them all up as FM modules if you get what i mean. They only see it as 6 separate modules and hence cant award me an overall grade for it.

I know it's permissible but it has reduced the flexibility in shifting grades around to maximise your grades. I think your logic is flawed. (Almost) everyone lands up with FM units that could have gone in Maths. As long as you haven't done M1 or M2 with AQA as well then you have fulfilled the requirements for A level FM and the only reason for not cashing-in is because you'd rather hide the grade.

Quick Reply

Latest