The Student Room Group

I'm really intimidated by Freshers Week

I've had a GAP year and now I'm off to Bournemouth University. I'm generally quite a confident, out going guy but I have never been a fan of clubbing and I don't really fancy the idea of going out clubbing a lot during Freshers Week.

What do I do? I don't want to miss out socially especially as a lot of the types of people I like to hang out with back where I'm from like the clubbing scene.

I'm currently trying to also get over anxiety which makes things even more complicated.

What advice do you guys have?

I've thought about just getting smashed during Pres but it doesn't really interest me. I'm more of the pub kind of guy.
Original post by Hep Guardiola
I've had a GAP year and now I'm off to Bournemouth University. I'm generally quite a confident, out going guy but I have never been a fan of clubbing and I don't really fancy the idea of going out clubbing a lot during Freshers Week.

What do I do? I don't want to miss out socially especially as a lot of the types of people I like to hang out with back where I'm from like the clubbing scene.

I'm currently trying to also get over anxiety which makes things even more complicated.

I've thought about just getting smashed during Pres but it doesn't really interest me. I'm more of the pub kind of guy.

This might sound like awful advice but I am going to say it anyway. I know people who prefer pubs than clubs where they can talk and stuff. However freshers week is different, it isnt just clubbing, it the best week of your life. The clubs are completely different to what you are used to, they are full of students who just want to have fun. Everyone will celebrating their new life as a student and trust me if you miss out, you'll regret it. I say, try it. Go to a few freshers events in the week and if you dont like it, dont go to the rest.

(Nottingham Uni Year 2 Student)

Hello :smile:

You won't believe how many of these questions I've answered in the past couple of weeks - the bottom line is, you do NOT have to bring at all during Freshers or go clubbing to make friends. Sure, some people may see that it's easier to make friends and it may make it a little harder but it doesn't make it impossible.

You don't have to drink or go clubbing, there will be people that feel the same as you. Attend the SU events and have a good time but just don't go to clubs, there will be people who would prefer to go to a pub as well.

Don't panic yourself - if you are suffering from anxiety, I understand how bad it can get with the littlest thought so take care of yourself and know you'll be fine!
There is plenty to do in Freshers Week run by the SU for social reasons.

No one in Freshers will wanna go to a pub... But having said that, your Freshers event might include a pub or bar crawl. If not, why not suggest to your flat after Freshers you do a pub crawl instead of going out for clubbing. That way it might compensate you for not going out [as much] during Freshers?

If you have anxiety, that's pretty much a different kettle of fish. I would probably speak to your flatmates and be honest with them and just say you're not that much into going clubbing or getting smashed. They'll understand and could do other things like maybe throw a flat party instead?

I mean for me personally, it's about the company you keep not necessarily about the activity you do really. I would recommend you go to a couple of Freshers clubbing events and see how it turns out but don't go plastered. Get turnt and see what happens.

After all, uni is about experiencing new things and getting out of your comfort zone to try unfamiliar or uncomfortable surroundings. :flutter:
To be honest, clubs are way overrated in my opinion.

However, I would still definitely go out during fresher's week if I were you as it's a way of "meeting and greeting", and all you have to do is just behave normally and introduce yourself.

But after fresher's week, it's not worth the cash in my opinion. Brb paying for drinks inflated by 200% of the true price.

During freshers they often have a pub crawl as well so you can always go to that! You don't have to drinks loads at the events! Just use it as an opportunity to go out and let loose a bit and see what the nightlife in your city has to offer!
If not there's plenty of things to do during the day and society mingles so go to those! Just have an open and friendly attitude towards everyone you meet whether that be during the day or when out at night!
Hiya! I'm struggling a lot with anxiety myself, and the club scene is just something that totally repulses me. A lot of people do really enjoy freshers, but if there are parts of it you don't want to participate in, I don't think you should feel obligated. You don't just meet people during freshers, you also meet them on your course, in societies, in your halls, at any job you get, at the pub, etc. Don't force yourself to do anything in freshers week, there will be a lot of people feeling the same way so just do the things you want to do and you'll find similar people there :smile:

p.s I actually have friends going to Bournemouth this year too who prefer the pub experience, so you're definitely not alone :P
I agree with most people here, don't think Freshers week is only about clubbing and if this is not your scene you should definitely avoid it. Find some interesting societies, join some visits to local attractions, etc. If you are a more introverted type you're most likely to meet people like in places where you feel comfortable, and not the other way around.

There's no pressure to take part in anything you don't want to. Freshers is about a lot more than just clubbing, and you'll probably find that there's a lot more going on than what you realise. For example our SU are hosting movie nights, pizza nights as well as activities during the day such as bowling and city tours.
I'd also advise joining your freshers group on social media to seek out your course mates/ house mates and find some common ground before you start. It's great to break the ice before you get there and will make the whole experience a lot easier.

With regards to your anxiety, reach out now to your university Wellbeing team so they can support you this week as well as help you transition to university. They'll check in with you and arrange sessions so you feel supported throughout.

The most important thing to remember is that you're not alone, and there is always help and support available.

Good luck!

Hey, pleased you're coming to Bournemouth but please don't worry! I'm a mature student here at BU and not into clubbing, there's plenty of other things you can do to get to know students and you won't miss out!

Will you be staying in halls? If so check out the ResLife activities which run out of your own accommodation block by your ResLife Team, let them know what kind of events you'd like to take part in.

Also, definitely attend the freshers fair on Sat 28th Sep not only will you pick up loads of freebies but you can also check out all of the clubs and societies, there's pretty much something for everyone.

Once you get to know people on your course, a lot of the time social events will just happen, whether that going for coffee or meeting for a beach BBQ, so don't worry about clubbing, yes lots of students do it but if you tell friends you're more up for chilled time they'll be fine with it and make sure you're the first person they call for a cinema trip or meal out :-) There's also a huge pub scene here, including the uni's own Dylan's Bar at Talbot, many in the Town centre also do quiz nights if you're interested in that.

Finally, I would urge you to get in touch with our additional learning support team, to help guide you with anxiety. There's a lot of support on offer and I would thoroughly recommend taking it.

Good luck and let me know if you need any further pointers.

Vicki

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending