The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SampleX
Need to start making my plan to smash my A-levels, I have no idea where to start :redface:

Same!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg
Yep

Bath, Durham, Exeter, Surrey and Nottingham.

Might look at Oxford and/or Warwick if I build up the courage.

Sounds pretty good, I'm thinking Oxford Warwick UCL Surrey and Bath
If you do an EPQ and get an A or higher your offer for Bath is reduced to AAA :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 122
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Sounds pretty good, I'm thinking Oxford Warwick UCL Surrey and Bath
If you do an EPQ and get an A or higher your offer for Bath is reduced to AAA :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! And I know, it's great - just wondering if I really want to do an EPQ though...
Reply 123
**** I need to get writing my personal statement!
Original post by jamestg
Nice! And I know, it's great - just wondering if I really want to do an EPQ though...

Yeahh Oxford Economics and management is really competitive though, I'll probably be going to Warwick. I guess it depends on whether you like writing long essays or not :biggrin: I finished mine in April so I'd be eligible for the offer and I'll probably make it my firm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 125
Yeahh Oxford Economics and management is really competitive though, I'll probably be going to Warwick. I guess it depends on whether you like writing long essays or not :biggrin: I finished mine in April so I'd be eligible for the offer and I'll probably make it my firm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good to me! Good luck with you applications!!
Original post by jamestg
Sounds good to me! Good luck with you applications!!

You too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So scared for A2, as I need A*s/As for uni...I reeeeaaaaalllly wanna go Surrey or UCL for my undergrad...
Original post by BunnyMidnight
So scared for A2, as I need A*s/As for uni...I reeeeaaaaalllly wanna go Surrey or UCL for my undergrad...

If you put in the work I'm sure you'll be fine! What are to looking to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you put in the work I'm sure you'll be fine! What are to looking to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I put in the hard work this year but didn't get the grades sadly. Hopefully, this year would be better!!
I'm looking at studying Chemistry
Original post by Thechip
I do English lit, psychology and history. I got AAC on results day, the c in English lit which was obviously upsetting as I want to do English lit at Warwick. Do you guys think it's worth applying or should I forget about it.

I know what you mean, I got a B but it was supposed to be my definite A! I think it's deffo worth applying still, you've still got a year to improve it. Which exam board did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 131
Original post by Aloudgirl24
1. Have people visited the uni's they would like to go to yet? I've been to Queens Mary, and went to a summer school at Southampton Solent and Newcastle.

2. How are your personal statements getting along?
Completed a draft so far, but need to develop some points.

3. What subjects are you currently studying and, what do you hope to study at uni (give the 5 uni's you want to go to)
I am currently studying Film studies, English lit and lang, Business and BTEC Fashion and clothing ( but I dropped it this year)
At uni I hope to do a joint degree in English and business. Newcastle and Coventry are the only ones that I'm considering so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have currently been to the University of Worcester and am planning to go to Birmingham City University and Cardiff University open days in October.
I have recently sent my tutor my 2nd draft of my personal statement and it is going well. ☺️
The subjects I am studying are English Literature, Psychology and Health and Social Care. The universities I am applying for are University of Worcester, Birmingham City University, University of Gloucestershire and Cardiff University. 🌸
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by isabella1999
Aw that's good! Wish I had done a summer school or something, sounds so good. They UKCAT heavy or not?

I'm not entirely sure since I was on the Engineering strand of the school. They did do a UKCAT session for those on the Medicince strand so I assume they are?
Original post by lubna1998
I'm not entirely sure since I was on the Engineering strand of the school. They did do a UKCAT session for those on the Medicince strand so I assume they are?

Original post by isabella1999
Aw that's good! Wish I had done a summer school or something, sounds so good. They UKCAT heavy or not?

Nottingham pretty much require you to be good all round :smile:

They have several 'rounds' of the admissions process:
ROUND 1 - Have you got the minimum requirements?
ROUND 2 - They score everyone who passes round 1 on their GCSEs and UKCAT (if they are in year 13, different for people who have finished school, or are applying as graduates) and people in a top % get through to round 3
ROUND 3 - They then score the remaining personal statements, adding that score onto the academic score, then rank for interview
ROUND 4 - Interview!

You can see their scoring document on their website :h:

EDIT: I think(/hope) this is correct :lol:
Original post by ImagineCats
Sent my bio teacher my 1st draft on the 19th and still no reply :frown: I asked her in our last bio lesson if its okay to send it and she said YEAH why the lie whywhywhywhy

same, they're probably avoiding it as much as we are :wink:
Original post by Gogregg
Nottingham pretty much require you to be good all round :smile:

They have several 'rounds' of the admissions process:
ROUND 1 - Have you got the minimum requirements?
ROUND 2 - They score everyone who passes round 1 on their GCSEs and UKCAT (if they are in year 13, different for people who have finished school, or are applying as graduates) and people in a top % get through to round 3
ROUND 3 - They then score the remaining personal statements, adding that score onto the academic score, then rank for interview
ROUND 4 - Interview!

You can see their scoring document on their website :h:

EDIT: I think(/hope) this is correct :lol:

Ah okay, thanks so much!
Great British Bake Off is back tomorrow! :woo::woohoo::woo:
Reply 137
Original post by literaturista
I know what you mean, I got a B but it was supposed to be my definite A! I think it's deffo worth applying still, you've still got a year to improve it. Which exam board did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is edexcel which I think is seen as easier than AQA. What about you and where are you looking to apply for btw ?
Hi all! Can I join your Year 13 thread :colondollar:
Guys, I have dilemma. I've always wanted to study French and Spanish at Edinburgh, I'm just so in love with the city and the vibe. But, my dream course of Modern Languages (French, Spanish and Russian) is at Warwick. I'm really torn between the two, does anyone have any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest