The Student Room Group

Postgrad Speech & Language Therapy 2017 Entry (PG Dip/MSc)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rainbowworld
Sounds fantastic :smile: I think they are looking for what experience you have lined up as well as what you've already done :smile:
Aww yes, interviews are nerve racking!
Yes, I'm trying to volunteer with a local charity that help people after they have had strokes called Dyscover. I'm meeting with the lady in charge on Thursday, just she couldn't promise if they had any space for volunteers at the moment! Otherwise I might need to look further afield. I spoke to a lovely lady from the stroke association but it seems unlikely I would be able to help with anything that would fit with my current job! I'm also trying to get experience at a day service for young adults with learning difficulties, have been trying to ages but it's been hard to arrange a day! I must phone them tomorrow! If none of those opportunities work out then the local volunteer centre said I might be able to volunteer at this club for young adults with learning difficulties once a month. It's tricky to fit in around a job! I know at UCL you write down what experience you have arranged to get as well as what you have already done, I don't know if you can do that for any other uni's? At least if you can't talk about it when you write your personal statement you can then discuss it at interview :smile:

I hope it all works out well for you! At least you have a backup at the local volunteer centre if it doesn't. It is something after all :smile:
That's true, the process is going to be so daunting!
Reply 21
Hey!

I'm applying for the postgraduate in Speech and Language therapy too!

I've been to the UCL and City universities open day. I preferred City; to be perfectly quite honest.

Apparently, City University won't be continuing the postgraduate diploma in speech and language therapy in 2017. They would just be offering the MSC. They told us this at the open day.
Original post by Adesola
Hey!

I'm applying for the postgraduate in Speech and Language therapy too!

I've been to the UCL and City universities open day. I preferred City; to be perfectly quite honest.

Apparently, City University won't be continuing the postgraduate diploma in speech and language therapy in 2017. They would just be offering the MSC. They told us this at the open day.

Hello! Ah that's interesting! I missed the one at city.
That's really interesting about the PGDip. Does that mean that the course will be two and a half years there (as at the moment you do an extra 6 months for the MSc conversion) or will they fit it all into two years like at UCL?
Reply 23
Hi everyone :smile:

Someone may have already answered this question, but is it allowed to apply for the SLT postgraduate degree while being in your final year of university ? Or should I maybe wait until I graduate and hopefully get a 2:1 and then apply in 2018?

Thanks for your help in advance :smile:
Hello, where are you thinking of applying?
That was the idea, and that is what will happen from 2018 onwards. The websites were all updated during the consultation when it was believe it would go ahead for 2017, and they thought there would be no NHS funding and were unsure if there would be any loans to help (other than postgrad £10,000 loan). However, the consultation finished and the government published the outcome ( https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/changing-how-healthcare-education-is-funded )

This states: "We accept that pre-registration postgraduate and second degree students bring valuable qualities to the healthcare student population and to the NHS workforce. We also accept that students who come to pre-registration healthcare courses through postgraduate or second degree routes may be more likely to be older than the general student population. The government has also taken into consideration the numerous submissions calling for students on healthcare master’s courses to receive more financial support than that envisaged by the new postgraduate master’s loan, which at £10,000 has been designed as a contribution to a
student’s costs. There is therefore a risk that were funding not available to prospective postgraduate healthcare applicants, student numbers, and therefore workforce supply, could fall. For pre-registration postgraduate courses specifically, a number of responses proposed that funding should be made available on the same terms as for undergraduate students (as
currently happens for students of the Postgraduate Certificate in Education). The government is considering this option and others as a long-term solution, but will not be implementing a new funding model for pre-registration postgraduate students beginning their course in 2017.
Ahead of implementing a longer-term solution to ensure pre-registration postgraduate students can continue their valuable contribution to non-medical professions, the government will make funding available for tuition and bursaries for a capped number of pre-registration postgraduate
healthcare places for new starters in 2017, based on the same numbers that are currently in place. This is a transitional arrangement only for new entrants in 2017 until a longer-term solution is finalised from 2018 onwards. Further detail will be published in due course."

So it it a short term measure, sounds like it will be NHS bursary still, might not be identical to current years but sounds like it will be. They want loans in place from 2018. They are implementing loans for undergrad courses from 2017 but think they just needed more time to arrange the postgrad ones hence the delay. Regarding more places: yes once it is scrapped there will be more places (so wont be in 2017) but it won't happen overnight - when I was at open days/evenings they said they wouldn't suddenly increase it, it would be very gradual. In terms of easier to get in: Yes, i think universities were working on the assumption it would be harder to get applicants if there were no bursaries or loans but with the likely introduction of loans for postgrad students from 2018 (which will be more money than they get from the bursary) I doubt demand will go down much! The only downside I can see is that you will probably get less money to live on from bursary than you would from new loans, but i'm happy to take that if it means thousands less in debt to pay off!! But I agree it might be very competitive again this year as it's the last year or bursary :frown: Of course as well I'm not expecting to get in the first year I apply anyway so who knows basically! but if you do manage to get a place for 2017 it will be paid by bursary :smile:

Thank you so much for this information. I was informed by Greenwich that it was there last funded course in January 2017 but i will look into it further now. Being able to apply to other universities will give me other Post graduate options.
Reply 25
Hello! Ah that's interesting! I missed the one at city.
That's really interesting about the PGDip. Does that mean that the course will be two and a half years there (as at the moment you do an extra 6 months for the MSc conversion) or will they fit it all into two years like at UCL?

They will fit this in within two years. It says this on their website, if you click on the 2017 entry TAB.
Reply 26
Original post by germ18

Someone may have already answered this question, but is it allowed to apply for the SLT postgraduate degree while being in your final year of university ? Or should I maybe wait until I graduate and hopefully get a 2:1 and then apply in 2018?

They are quite strict with this. Though I only know about City and UCL. But they require you to have a 2.1 before applying to the course. Also; UCL prefer you to take a year out to gain experience.
Original post by Adesola
They will fit this in within two years. It says this on their website, if you click on the 2017 entry TAB.

Ah yes! Thanks, that's great to know.
Original post by germ18

Some universities allow it, some don't - you need to check them all individually really. I would say it depends how much experience you have, if you have loads you may as well apply this year if there are universities you want to apply to that allow it, if you don't then it's definitely worth waiting and getting more experience while you wait I guess. The finding situation may also affect your decision.
Reply 29
Hi everyone. I'm looking to apply for 2017 entry and not too fussed about location so applying for City, UCL, Sheffield and Newcastle. I did my undergrad at Newcastle so would see the perks of going back there but also quite fancy somewhere new.

My main fear at the moment is that I just don't have enough experience. I have worked with a disabled girl for many years and helped her with communication, I have gained some experience in a primary school and in a community setting but this has all been on the side of my main job. Are there other people applying that haven't necessarily had paid jobs as SALT assistants or have people heard success stories of people getting in without this?

Thanks, Jess :smile:
I think I'm just being really silly here, but I can't find anywhere where it says how many words Reading allow for the personal statement. I'm sure I had the information last year but can't find it on their website at the moment! I don't know if I just need to start the application and then it will tell me. Would be very greatful if anyone knows.
Reply 31
I think I'm just being really silly here, but I can't find anywhere where it says how many words Reading allow for the personal statement. I'm sure I had the information last year but can't find it on their website at the moment! I don't know if I just need to start the application and then it will tell me. Would be very greatful if anyone knows.

Yes, it tells you when you start the application:

"In your ‘statement of purpose’ please explain your motivation and readiness to study on this programme, including how your academic interests, research, work experience or other knowledge and skills would support and complement your studies. We would normally expect your statement to be no more than 500 words in length."
Reply 32
Original post by germ18

City and Sheffield have in the past been the only programmes that allow you to apply during the final year of your undergrad. That might have changed though (I've heard that City doesn't allow this anymore), so I'd check each uni's requirements individually.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Jfay90
Hi everyone. I'm looking to apply for 2017 entry and not too fussed about location so applying for City, UCL, Sheffield and Newcastle. I did my undergrad at Newcastle so would see the perks of going back there but also quite fancy somewhere new.

My main fear at the moment is that I just don't have enough experience. I have worked with a disabled girl for many years and helped her with communication, I have gained some experience in a primary school and in a community setting but this has all been on the side of my main job. Are there other people applying that haven't necessarily had paid jobs as SALT assistants or have people heard success stories of people getting in without this?

Thanks, Jess :smile:

The majority of people applying won't have had SLTA jobs. The important thing is that you're able to reflect in your personal statement/interviews on what you've learned from your experience (whatever that may be)!
Original post by LEGOally
Hi there everyone!
oh i am so glad to have found this thread! :biggrin: im interested in applying for a speech therapy masters 2017 and i feel like a little fish in a very big pond! :frown: im looking at newcastle as my first choice is anyone else? though im not entirly fussy where i actually study just looking forward to getting started!
i graduated from an early childhood studies degree in 2013 but so many unis seem to want psychology grads!:frown: so i have been volunteering with a team of SLT's since april so i hope i will still be considered.
That is such good news about the funding! :biggrin: one less thing to worry about i guess!
i just feel so much releaf having found this group so i hope we can all help each other along the way! :biggrin:

Hi. I have also been a little disheartened to find that many Uni's require Psychology. Other thank Newcastle which ones are you looking at?
Original post by Laice
Yes, it tells you when you start the application:

"In your ‘statement of purpose’ please explain your motivation and readiness to study on this programme, including how your academic interests, research, work experience or other knowledge and skills would support and complement your studies. We would normally expect your statement to be no more than 500 words in length."

That's great thank you!
Reply 36
Original post by freshstart1234
Hi. I have also been a little disheartened to find that many Uni's require Psychology. Other thank Newcastle which ones are you looking at?

Ye I've started an online advanced psychology course just so I know the basics about the brain and things that will link in with the degree just so I'm prepared (it's on groupon for £29 :smile: )
Newcastle is my first choice! But I'm just applying to as many as I can because I'm not restricted where I can go :smile: so Newcastle, Sheffield, university college London and City :smile: where are you applying? Have you started any of the applications yet?
Original post by LEGOally
Ye I've started an online advanced psychology course just so I know the basics about the brain and things that will link in with the degree just so I'm prepared (it's on groupon for £29 :smile: )
Newcastle is my first choice! But I'm just applying to as many as I can because I'm not restricted where I can go :smile: so Newcastle, Sheffield, university college London and City :smile: where are you applying? Have you started any of the applications yet?

I have an interview at Greenwich in September. I haven't started to apply anywhere else yet as I'm trying to focus on this ibterview first.

If I don't get into Greenwich I'll focus on Northern Uni's. Thanks for the info in that course I will take a look. X
Reply 38
Hi, I'm attending a selection day at Greenwich next week. If anyone else is going how are you preparing for the written task?
Original post by Beth.J
Hi, I'm attending a selection day at Greenwich next week. If anyone else is going how are you preparing for the written task?

I'm at Greenwich on the 15th. I didn't really know where to start so I've been practicing writing to a set time and focussing my ideas on communication and the role of an SLT.

Which day are you there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending