The Student Room Group

Which University should I go to if rejected by Oxbridge?

I'm applying to Oxford with A*A*A in English Literature, History and Economics to do English.
Which would be the best option if I'm rejected? I was thinking either UCL or Durham as the next best alternatives. What do you guys think? Not just in terms of the university's prestige, but also in terms of graduate prospects and the lifestyle of students at each university.

Also, are there any other universities I should consider in the same league, for example Exeter, KCL, Edinburgh, St. Andrews or Bristol?

Please help! Do you know anyone who went to any of these and what they think? Did you go yourself?
Reply 1
Original post by mattk220
I'm applying to Oxford with A*A*A in English Literature, History and Economics to do English.
Which would be the best option if I'm rejected? I was thinking either UCL or Durham as the next best alternatives. What do you guys think? Not just in terms of the university's prestige, but also in terms of graduate prospects and the lifestyle of students at each university.

Also, are there any other universities I should consider in the same league, for example Exeter, KCL, Edinburgh, St. Andrews or Bristol?

The truth is that all the universities you name are pretty equivalent in terms of prestige & graduate prospects—potential employers don't feel university prestige in the fine-grained way that TSR posters do, they usually just want you to have gone to a good university, any good university.

I suggest you look into how the English courses at these places and consider which ones are organised and assessed in ways which you feel would suit you (e.g. do you prefer exams or coursework? how much choice do you want in terms of what you study when?).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending